Ringwood State Park Conditions

onetracker

I didn't die, but I did have to phone a friend for an impromptu water stop. I filled up at Ringwood Manor without issue, but my other water stop didn't pan out. There used to be a well with a hand pump at Project U.S.E. in Waway, but now there is just a cement slab there. I've ridden past it several times recently and just not noticed I guess.
There is a water spigot for public use on the side of the office by the bathroom. Not sure of it is shut off due to COVID19.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Park closed due to storm damage. Much of the area still without power. I just got my communications back up, so I can take damage reports as things open up. Trails from stateline to lot A have been cleared, and it took 2 days. The clean up could take awhile, but it would be a great help if everyone takes a little time and clear sticks and small branches from the trail. If you have a hand saw, you may be able to do some small stuff. If branches are too big, report here and we will try to get to it. Thanks.

Sergey

Trails between Ryerson and Lot C; Red trail from Ryerson to Catnest swamp and back by Ice Pond; Crossover from Botanical garden to Warm Poppy and down to Millie White are in good shape. May be couple of big trees to carry over.

serviceguy

The storm caused some damage. Most if not all of it has been cleared by RTC on the Ringwood Ramapo just up from Ryerson, as well as up Warm Puppy, Ringwood Ramapo Knob, Skylands And the section of Race Trail going down to Millie White. A tree has been reported as downed on the BkackBear single track but it’s rideable.

Last edited:

serviceguy

A new feature of the Skyland Trail...
IMG_4628.JPG

serviceguy

If that is the tree i saw yesterday, it is a lot bigger in real life than what the picture suggests. Luckily it fell away from the trail.

This? Just a bloated toothpick! Where did you ride yesterday? Any further damage to be cleared that you noticed?

IMG_4634.JPG

Mr.Moto

This? Just a bloated toothpick! Where did you ride yesterday? Any further damage to be cleared that you noticed?

View attachment 136701
Rode from school up to Cats nest and then over to white and skylands with some connectors in between. Thanks to RTC and JORBA for the hard work to get the trails rideable. Only saw a couple of trees down on Pierson’s ridge. Single track was pretty clear other than small branches and sticks.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the report. We have not been able to get all the way up to the far in sections yet. If we need a saw, we may wait until we can drive into the park to start closer. I know of a few trees we still need to get, so there will be another trip. Dirty Thursday may be on hold for a week until park opens a lot.

serviceguy

Thanks for the report. We have not been able to get all the way up to the far in sections yet. If we need a saw, we may wait until we can drive into the park to start closer. I know of a few trees we still need to get, so there will be another trip. Dirty Thursday may be on hold for a week until park opens a lot.

I got the saw carrying thing tuned to perfection, just in case you and Art want to go out there before the parks open.

Asstastic

Ok, the trees on sewer line and race course have been cleared. It also looks like Morris Rd has been opened up and there are cars in Lot A.

Wait, the park is closed? Lol. New to mtbnj. Been riding Ringwood all summer, every day this week parking in A.

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Wait, the park is closed? Lol. New to mtbnj. Been riding Ringwood all summer, every day this week parking in A.
It was closed for a few days after the storm because all roads in were blocked with downed trees and power lines. The park or linesmen got it cleaned up quickly, less than a week I think.
If you rode in right after the storm, you would not have gotten far because of all the downed trees and branches getting stuck in your drive train. It took 2 of us, 2 days, to clear just from Sloatsburg Rd to Sewer Line.

bucknejo

It was closed for a few days after the storm because all roads in were blocked with downed trees and power lines. The park or linesmen got it cleaned up quickly, less than a week I think.
If you rode in right after the storm, you would not have gotten far because of all the downed trees and branches getting stuck in your drive train. It took 2 of us, 2 days, to clear just from Sloatsburg Rd to Sewer Line.

I went out yesterday and about 10 seconds into my ride got a branch caught in my rear wheel drive train. Tore a piece of the carbon dropout from the frame and broke the RD hanger in half. I was going maybe 1 mph.

So now I need a new bike!

Rode my other bike today, and the place is really clean so thanks to everyone who spent the time to clear all the trails.

Note, the moral of this post is that although the trails are looking good, still watch out for branches. Don't be a dip-sh-t like me and ruin your bike for not paying attention.

munk1e

I went out yesterday and about 10 seconds into my ride got a branch caught in my rear wheel drive train. Tore a piece of the carbon dropout from the frame and broke the RD hanger in half. I was going maybe 1 mph.

Rode my other bike today, and the place is really clean so thanks to everyone who spent the time to clear all the trails.

Note, the moral of this post is that although the trails are looking good, still watch out for branches. Don't be a dip-sh-t like me and ruin your bike for not paying attention.

Man, that sucks... but hey, glass half full, new bike time!

onetracker

That sucks. The frame can probably can be fixed.

I was recently riding at Wayway post storm and broke off my derailleur hanger at 1mi per hour in the blink of an eye, would not come off and was so distorted that I could not separate the broken bits from the fixing bolt. Had to ride out with the wheel as the only thing bonding the replacement hanger to the frame.

serviceguy

If you’re willing to spend $300 and have a little down time there’s a guy down the shore that does amazing work with carbon. Let me know if you need any detail.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions