How old is old enough for a bike trailer?

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I'd love to take my daughter for some rides along the tow path and around the neighborhood, but I want to make sure she's old (and structurally robust) enough to handle the rigors of riding in a trailer. According to the bicycle helmet safety institute (BHSI), no one under a year should be wearing a helmet, much less riding on a bike. However, the question remains "how old is old enough?"

My daughter is just a year now.

Obviously this is something I need to talk to her pediatrician about, but I'd also like to get some advice from parents who've addressed the same issue.

Thanks.

Maurice

One year old should be ok, assuming the helmet fits well and the trailer has good restraints.

My little daughter would inevitably fall asleep in it. Sometimes you'd hear a cry of despair after a bump in the path, as the cheerios would fly all over the cabin.

FWIW we've ridden in all kinds of conditions with ours, cold, humid, even smoother trails sometimes. The little one never complained.

tim.stevens

Depends on the kid

The attached picture is from awhile ago when my little girl was almost 2yo, like 1 3/4 and the boy was almost 5. I even pulled my girl on some of 6-mile run single track...until she started crying too much for me to enjoy the ride.:(

Sometimes my wife would even make me pull here in the trailer too.:)

"Obviously this is something I need to talk to her pediatrician about, but I'd also like to get some advice from parents who've addressed the same issue."

I never talked to no stinkin' pediatrician...live a little!

Tim.

Just Noticed: Before the helmet police come after me, I removed the kid’s helmets before taking the picture.

Also, I always wear a helmet If I think I might have an accident while riding.

Attachments

• IMG_1334b.JPG
    IMG_1334b.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
My son was 11 months when he went in. We made sure he was at the point where he could sit up on his own and support the weight of that massive head of his. He only would make it about 15 minutes into the ride and fall asleep.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
The attached picture is from awhile ago when my little girl was almost 2yo, like 1 3/4 and the boy was almost 5. I even pulled my girl on some of 6-mile run single track...until she started crying too much for me to enjoy the ride.:(

Sometimes my wife would even make me pull here in the trailer too.:)

"Obviously this is something I need to talk to her pediatrician about, but I'd also like to get some advice from parents who've addressed the same issue."

I never talked to no stinkin' pediatrician...live a little!

Tim.
Was that an old school M700 Cannondale? I've had 2 Cannondales in my day.

tim.stevens

Yes it is

Was that an old school M700 Cannondale? I've had 2 Cannondales in my day.

Great bike. Bought it new in 1991 in State College, PA. It is a rigid M700 with the 'pepperoni fork'. I rode that bike all through Roth Rock for years weighing over 250 at the time, and never so much as a creak out of the frame. Looking back I can't believe it could handle the down hills over all the rocks and boulders. Roth rock is similar to Alamuchy but much bigger with taller mountains. Awesome place to ride.

Tim.

Great bike. Bought it new in 1991 in State College, PA. It is a rigid M700 with the 'pepperoni fork'. I rode that bike all through Roth Rock for years weighing over 250 at the time, and never so much as a creak out of the frame. Looking back I can't believe it could handle the down hills over all the rocks and boulders. Roth rock is similar to Alamuchy but much bigger with taller mountains. Awesome place to ride.

Tim.

just picked up a m800 and love it. Pepperoni fork is very light, amazing bike haha

Top Bottom