Allamuchy North Conditions

A good ride for a first pass at Candy Ass is up white, up cardiac bypass to purple, down to candy ass, and then either out on purple or end on the orange loop. About 5.5-7 miles (if you do the orange) and 1,000 feet of vertical feet.
If I wanted to tack on another couple of miles to that loop what do you recommend? Is the the friggin middle worth it?

goldsbar

If I wanted to tack on another couple of miles to that loop what do you recommend? Is the the friggin middle worth it?

Yes. Good old school rocky semi-singletrack. Core Allamuchy North riding.

As for Candy vs. Lumpy, agree with what was said, plus Candy is physically harder. While it ultimately goes downhill, there are plenty of short steep ups to test you and the features are generally harder. I like Lumpy a lot and consider it part of general trail riding. Candy I view as more, "do I really want to do this to myself?" My viewpoint would probably change if I did it a couple of times in the same season and figured out just a bit of flow.

phillychris498

I agree that adding freaking middle is worth it for the extra miles, plus if you wanna bail at the end after candy ass you can just cut out doing the orange loop. Also agree with what’s being said about candy ass; it’s almost twice as long as Lumpy and while being a net descent has a bunch of steep ups at the top of it. Candy Ass is also riding better now than it has been in years thanks to @Fat Trout.

phillychris498

River crossings are the lowest across the park that ive ever seen, other than on the Memorial trail connecting the Boy Scout lake to white. Loose dirt throughout the park, but fun to slide around on. The big 3 (lumpy, Rollie, and candy ass) are all cleared and good to go. Candy ass in particular is riding well compared to what it normally is at this time of year.

2 more trees to report: one on White, about 0.2-0.3 miles further into the woods from where it meets from the highland trail, chainsaw required. The other one is near the bottom of ice cream after the long, flat rock garden near the end. That tree could be made into a small log pile, it’s about one foot thick and is solid on the ground.

phillychris498

There are yellow X's on almost every single tree lining this quad trail that climbs up to Lumpy Bumpy from Waving Willie... almost like "no trespassing" X's. These Yellow X's last until making a right onto lumpy bumpy, and it looked like it continued further down the quad trail. This is a trail that leads into a small development behind Cranberry lake, and there is often dumped trash on the side of this trail. Does anyone know what these X's might be? They really don't seem park-sanctioned, and they kinda spooked me a bit.

1600033968809.png

Apache1

There are yellow X's on almost every single tree lining this quad trail that climbs up to Lumpy Bumpy from Waving Willie... almost like "no trespassing" X's. These Yellow X's last until making a right onto lumpy bumpy, and it looked like it continued further down the quad trail. This is a trail that leads into a small development behind Cranberry lake, and there is often dumped trash on the side of this trail. Does anyone know what these X's might be? They really don't seem park-sanctioned, and they kinda spooked me a bit.

View attachment 139238
Chris - Not 'Park Sanctioned'. When did they appear?

Robin

Tried to report on TF - a few trees down on Pebble from the Waterloo lot. One has a go around started/will need a chainsaw. Also, very large tree (needs chainsaw) on Red - below the blue split/washed out section.

Fat Trout

Doubtful , they know the trails just as good as anyone else and would have no reason to paint them.
not sure on the X's but there were a bunch of white circles painted on waving willie as part of a quad track that started back in march. The access point for most of that was/is from lake tranquility side at the top of Waving willie. Back when covid started they were racing around back there. Seems to have tapered off and I scraped down and mud covered many of those but I feel like I noticed some fresh ones....not sure. Access of quads from cranberry seems limited currently although occasional moto tracks. Last fall shotgun deer season someone went around with hot green and crazy pink spray paint with some X's and arrows because they don't know how to walk in the woods. The X's near lumpy could be hunting again but the every tree thing is kind of comical and pointless (I just saw them). It will always be a battle against the stupid.

ryderX

not sure on the X's but there were a bunch of white circles painted on waving willie as part of a quad track that started back in march. The access point for most of that was/is from lake tranquility side at the top of Waving willie. Back when covid started they were racing around back there. Seems to have tapered off and I scraped down and mud covered many of those but I feel like I noticed some fresh ones....not sure. Access of quads from cranberry seems limited currently although occasional moto tracks. Last fall shotgun deer season someone went around with hot green and crazy pink spray paint with some X's and arrows because they don't know how to walk in the woods. The X's near lumpy could be hunting again but the every tree thing is kind of comical and pointless (I just saw them). It will always be a battle against the stupid.
Hunters wouldn’t waste their time spray painting trees and most of the hunters I know usually take straight lines bisecting the known trails to get to their stands or feed drops. I pretty sure the Rembrandts painting the trees and rocks are ATV and dirt bikers. Lately they’ve been doing the same thing over near the Sussex County Library trail head that is on Sparta-Stanhope road. Those trails loop into the Hopatcong trail system and the Highlands trail which ultimately lead into Allamuchy. Some weekends the library parking lot is packed full with trucks w/trailers and folks tailgating before and after riding the trails in the area.

Fat Trout

Hunters wouldn’t waste their time spray painting trees and most of the hunters I know usually take straight lines bisecting the known trails to get to their stands or feed drops. I pretty sure the Rembrandts painting the trees and rocks are ATV and dirt bikers. Lately they’ve been doing the same thing over near the Sussex County Library trail head that is on Sparta-Stanhope road. Those trails loop into the Hopatcong trail system and the Highlands trail which ultimately lead into Allamuchy. Some weekends the library parking lot is packed full with trucks w/trailers and folks tailgating before and after riding the trails in the area.
regardless of the reason....stupid seems to know no bounds, especially this year. 16 years living here and no paint. This last year has been like spin art in some places lol

mtn

Or small reflective pins, since the majority of hunters head into their stands before dawn.

Hunting season started earlier in the month. Please be aware that hunters will be in the woods during a variety of different seasons until mid-March 2021.

jackx

Hunting season started earlier in the month. Please be aware that hunters will be in the woods during a variety of different seasons until mid-March 2021.
Good to know. It would be great to know what days they hunt or more so we can stay clear of them.

Fat Trout

Good to know. It would be great to know what days they hunt or more so we can stay clear of them.
Sunday is clear in Allamuchy for bow hunting. See the link I attached. This doesn't mean you can't ride there otherwise but just as a heads up.

Edit....small game hunting is off limits on Sundays in all areas I believe

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions