Shop Keep

time to flame this guy at will

D34782E1-9F59-4717-A6E6-C82DB66F5767.png
ED0317F8-E8C1-4444-A533-7CDEEEC52D35.png
4D25038E-FB89-4D56-A9FF-4B29D0B8D212.png

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Educate me...what is this thing hes riding? It has pedals, so its a different class of e-bike?

ebikes are limited to 750W max for all classes and this is somewhere around 20kW. Seems like the cranks are some way of saying this is an ebicycle but it doesn't look like they are even attempting to meet class restrictions.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well this is one of the issues that the anti Ebike people were saying. It certainly looks likes it could be an Ebike, it has pedals. How are those involved with enforcement suppose to know the difference? I guess they all could to get educated. Maybe the state will set up classes for them. Could work out well for the entire mtn bike community. :rolleyes:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG

ebikes are limited to 750W max for all classes and this is somewhere around 20kW. Seems like the cranks are some way of saying this is an ebicycle but it doesn't look like they are even attempting to meet class restrictions.

320 ft-lbs of torque?! Thats more torque then what my 4Runner has.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I commented on one of his videos, this rig should not be on bike trails.
You can tell by his response to your comment that he just doesn't know any better. I blame the manufacturer for not educating their customers on the legality of their product. They even sell a kit to make the bike "street legal" Don't get me wrong, the bike is cool and I would love to rip that thing around but the emoto industry is still finding its way and manufacturers trying to hide under the title of ebicycle is shady as shit.

Last edited:

EJphotos

Yeah they put the pedals on there to call it an e-bicycle, but we all know what it really is - an e-motorcycle.
Especially since it has DOT motorcycle tires and puts out more torque than a gas powered dirtbike.
I commented on it as well.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Well this is one of the issues that the anti Ebike people were saying. It certainly looks likes it could be an Ebike, it has pedals. How are those involved with enforcement suppose to know the difference? I guess they all could to get educated. Maybe the state will set up classes for them. Could work out well for the entire mtn bike community. :rolleyes:
There has not been anything in history that humans have not tried to soup up. Let's be honest though, how can you enforce this, especially if it is only one guy?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
How are those involved with enforcement suppose to know the difference?

ebikes are required to have a sticker stating it's class (I, II, III) as well as their top assisted speed. A bike like this can be switched between power modes and although it may have a mode restricting it to 750W and 20mph, it does not meet the requirements. Obviously it's a sticker and you could just make one up that says Class II, etc and most enforcement agencies are unable to tell the difference. In the UK authorities seem better equipped to identify "chipped" and other illegal ebikes.

" b. On and after January 1, 2019, manufacturers and distributors of low-speed electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each lowspeed electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the low-speed electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

c. A person shall not tamper with or modify a low-speed electric bicycle so as to change the motor-powered speed capability or engagement of a low-speed electric bicycle, unless that person appropriately replaces the label indicating the classification required in subsection b. of this section. "

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions