Boating, Sailing, & Floating Devices

THATmanMANNY

You guys have been helpful! Thank you. I guess I asked too many questions and bothered the seller too much but she didn’t even answer some simple questions. I thought we had an agreement for me to come see it tomorrow. She sold it from under my nose tonight. I hate when people pull this shit but it’s probably a sign. Karma’s a bitch.

@icebiker that looks fun!

JerseyPete

@THATmanMANNY may I ask a bunch of questions that are none of my business?

What is the primary mission of the boat?
How often and how much time can you set aside to use it?
Do you intend to tow it all the time or keep at a marina year round?
How far is the location of use from your work/home?
Do you have a specific type/MFG in mind?

I've often thought about one as well (Yamaha jet boat), but then overthink it.

THATmanMANNY

Haha. It’s not like you are asking for my social but maybe you will work up to that

Just cruising with the fam, light towing, and anchor and chill/swim

Trailering. It could be to lake, bay, river. I don’t want to be locked down to just one area. So every trip I take will be 1hr+. No manufacturer in mind just any solid brand.

I really want a wakeboard boat but it’s just awfully expensive so I thought I’d start small but hell. Maybe just wait a few more years and go for it.

This thread started with sailing interest and honestly would still want to sail first but no one to teach me or guide me. Life took over at that time and it blasted to two kids later haha. @icebiker ??? It harder than just buying a boat with a motor. No idea where to start. Buy a dinghy with one sail? Kind of corny but I just picture teaching my kid how to sail one day. Oh shit, how do you sail?

WJF

so we need to do a @w_b vs @WJF fishing trip!
name the day! and the wager.
captains choose sides.

players
@jklett
@Leftymuk
@Patrick
@RobW

3 on 3 -
Get the gaff!
Sounds like fun, currently no fishing plans, clearing out my Forked River house for demolition the next few weekends, New construction starts after that, unfortunately I'm pouring money into a dock queen this year.091824C2-2DE9-43A3-B222-FF8B13BA1D2A.jpeg

Last edited:

WJF

You guys have been helpful! Thank you. I guess I asked too many questions and bothered the seller too much but she didn’t even answer some simple questions. I thought we had an agreement for me to come see it tomorrow. She sold it from under my nose tonight. I hate when people pull this shit but it’s probably a sign. Karma’s a bitch.

@icebiker that looks fun!
Manny, that boat was not to be yours, someone else can deal with it. No answers to simple questions means trouble. Let the new owner deal with it.

Last edited:

jklett

This thread started with sailing interest and honestly would still want to sail first but no one to teach me or guide me. Life took over at that time and it blasted to two kids later haha. @icebiker ??? It harder than just buying a boat with a motor. No idea where to start. Buy a dinghy with one sail? Kind of corny but I just picture teaching my kid how to sail one day. Oh shit, how do you sail?
I made one of these d4 dinghies many years ago, learned a ton about boats and sailing by the time I was done and it cost me maybe $100 and a few weeks of evenings. Made the sail from a tarp(loud and ugly but it worked). If you're handy it might be an idea.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Haha. It’s not like you are asking for my social but maybe you will work up to that

Trailering. It could be to lake, bay, river. I don’t want to be locked down to just one area. So every trip I take will be 1hr+. No manufacturer in mind just any solid brand.

I really want a wakeboard boat but it’s just awfully expensive so I thought I’d start small but hell. Maybe just wait a few more years and go for it.

Sailing is not tough to learn but it’s best to start with a user friendly dinghy, like a Sunfish. Sunfish are everywhere and in many cases people and clubs give them away since when owners move they often leave them behind on boat racks since once the kids are grown they lose interest. My bro in law belongs to a lake community in Kinnelon and told me just recently that the club is selling off a bunch of Sunfish for that very reason. I’ll ask him for more details. The other advantage of a Sunfish is its super simple to rig, and can be car topped (hull is about 135 lbs) so as long as you have a rack you are good. A Laser is also a great boat but it was designed for racing (it’s Olympic class), is faster, and a bit more involved to rig (mast has to be inserted into the sail sleeve, then stepped. It can also be tricky in high winds (sail is bigger than a Sunfish and is a traditional rig vs lateen. Here’s a complete Sunfish for $500 in Stanhope. Happy to provide more insight on sailboats and sailing. Just PM me and we can connect over phone.

THATmanMANNY

not joking but what if I just go directly to a 17' hobie cat with trailer? one is $2k obo in beach haven
It's that too much for newbie to still okay?
Sure would love to connect about this via phone too!
7D4F08FA-FB1F-4D20-AE97-A731E72068A5.jpegDCC8B8A5-EC30-452D-8E87-F9EE83572334.jpeg3A53F0CA-D793-40ED-A1AE-7A6CEDDDC5E6.jpeg

WJF

not joking but what if I just go directly to a 17' hobie cat with trailer? one is $2k obo in beach haven
It's that too much for newbie to still okay?
Sure would love to connect about this via phone too!
View attachment 134014View attachment 134015View attachment 134016
This would be a fast and very technical first sail boat, I crewed and sailed these and a 18 Sol Cat many years ago. You can get into trouble quickly. Look at a Sunfish for starters, move up from there if you like tacking into the wind.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the sound advice!
@WJF knows of what he speaks. The Hobie 14, 16 and 18 are very fast boats that require experience. The Wave, which is the one I have, is more tame and while you can flip them If you’re not paying attention, they are designed with the novice sailor in mind, which is why you see them at many beach resorts. I’d love a 14 or 16 but the lake I’m on isn’t well suited to fast boats like these. Plus we are limited to under 14’ for double hull boats. The Wave is 13’. Go for Sunfish as we’ve suggested and get a feel for sailing first. Then if you like it and get the hang of sailing, see if you can find a used Wave. It can carry up to four, so is a better family boat thand a dinghy like the sunfish or laser. Just know that dinghies are more practical if you don’t have a dock right out your door, as they can often be cartopped from place to place.

JerseyPete

I may be off base and hopefully others will correct me, but it seems that you could be happy with a small 17' bowrider with an outboard for family, and a Sunfish for yourself.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone ever use a folding kayak? Expensive as shit, but would fit in the GTI!
BAYST01_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Top Bottom