Wawayanda State Park
- Wawayanda State Park is a 16,679-acre (67 km) state park in Sussex County and Passaic County in northern New Jersey. The park is in Vernon Township on the Sussex side, and West Milford on the Passaic side. There are 60 miles (96 km) of hiking trails in the park, including a 20-mile (32 km) stretch of the Appalachian Trail. The park is operated and maintained by the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry. Many of these trails are open to bikes, but not all of them, such as the aforementioned Appalachian Trail. Wawayanda is where Black Bear Cycling hosts the H2H race, the Wawayanda Spring Cleaning.
41.192713, -74.429054 Boat Launch Parking Directions Enter the park off Wawayanda Rd. go past the entrance, then follow signs to the parking area(s). This requires an entrance fee during the summer.
41.155042, -74.412359 Cherry Ridge Lot Directions This lot provides access to the "good stuff" and there is no entrance fee to park.
Details and Info
- Miles: 20+
- Difficulty: Intermediate, Advanced
- Trails: Singletrack, Doubletrack, Fire Road
- Surface: Dirt (hardpack)
- Obstacles: Trail Obstacles, Rock Garden
- Special Features: Boardwalks, Bridges
- Detailed Overview: Little bit of everything in this park. Fair amount of climbing, roots, rocks, logs, wood bridges, and lots of bears.
- Park Website: New Jersey DEP Parks & Forestry
Trail Name Blaze Distance Description Rattlesnake purple xxx Miles Singletrack - Technical rock features, rock gardens, tricky rock bridge water crossings. Best hit from North to South direction. Tombstone red xxx Miles Singletrack - Features a 150 year old graveyard Iron Mountain Trail yellow xxx Miles Fire Road connects to ranger station at front gate via Parker trail Black Eagle black xxx Miles Singletrack Pumphouse green xxx Miles Singletrack, hiking only designated due to rocky ravine Wm Hoferline yellow xxx Miles Singletrack Laurel Pond yellow xxx Miles Fire Road Wing Dam purple xxx Miles Singletrack, steep, tight, rocky on Laurel Pond side. Doubletrack on dam side. Double Pond white 1.67 Miles Fire Road Red Dot red xxx Miles Singletrack, first right out of campground is more technical. Stay straight for the main Red Dot, Trail comes back together over mountain. At next intersection, left goes over Nature Jim’s Bridge (best if hit from Cherry Ridge side), right goes over double wooden bridges. Sitting Bear orange xxx Miles Rocky Singletrack follows Wawayanda lake. Cedar Swamp purple xxx Miles Hiking only Banker Trail green xxx Miles Fire Road Turkey Ridge blue xxx Miles Fire Road Old Coal purple 3.72 Miles Fire Road White Dot white xxx Miles Rocky Singletrack Green Gate/Cabin Trail yellow xxx Miles Fire Roadalso connects to Range Road off Cannistear Rd Fisherman's/Pickle red xxx Miles Rocky Singletrackfollows Lake Lookout Pines Trail green xxx Miles Singletrack, fast swoopy on top, rocky on the bottom Blueberry Hill yellow xxx Miles Also part of Turkey Ridge Old Coal to Cherry Ridge yellow 2 Miles Fire Road Little Bear ??? Miles Singletrack, Starts on Wingdam just after lake, back to Wingdam just before wooden bridge. Plymouth Lane ??? Miles Singletrackconnecting Banker Trail to Double Pond, cutting out neighborhood. Buddha None Miles Rocky Singletrackstarts at top of Blueberry Hill. Look for trails namesake at start in little shrine Splitrock None Miles Rocky Singletrack. Directly across from end of Buddha on Red Trail. Wooden bridge, boulder bridge. Ends on Ferber Road. Kisok trail None Miles Singletrackstarts behind kisok at Cherry Ridge/ Banker Trail circle, ends on Ferber Road. Thirsty Dog None Miles Rocky Singletrack. Fantastic stone work on bridges and elevated sections. Trail ends on a rock table. Return trail ends on Red trail below Buddha/Splitrock intersection. Porcupine None Miles Rocky Singletrack, starts on Cherry Ridge Rd. between Banker Trail and Yellow Gate. Rockadendren None Miles Rocky Singletrack, starts at end of Porcupine, ends on Cherry Ridge Rd.
Discussion, Events, and JORBA
- JORBA Info: Wawayanda rumblings at JORBA.org
- JORBA Contact: Jeffstick
Bike Shop(s) and Good Eats
- Town Cycle
- 1468 Union Valley Road
- West Milford, NJ 07480
- Ruby Rose
- 1604 Union Valley Rd
- West Milford, NJ 07480
- Great Mexican food
- Valley View Pub
- 1612 Union Valley Road
- West Milford, NJ 07480-2235
- Good All-American cuisine; beer & burgers. Reasonable prices. Been dining here after Waway rides for the last 9 years and never disappointed. VB
- Pioneer Bar & Grill
- 350 Warwick Tpke.
- Hewitt, NJ
- Closer than the Valley View albeit with a very dark interior. Great place to dine al la fresco in the Summer if there's no smoker's out on the patio. VB