Zipp Service Course Bar Tape

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Lasted 125 miles until I put a hole from wear and tear on it. Is this because I'm so ride or die, or does this stuff just not last this long? I was drawn in by the name and figured it would be some baller/good stuff; But it is fraying from the bar itself. Looks like crap.

Does Zipp just figure anyone who buys product from them is baller enough to retape their bars every month? Does anyone else have this tape and have a better story than I do?

204F6998-3018-4930-84F0-843519491139-5401-0000058B41BDC36C_zpsb7114cc9.jpg

4EB6A03D-5498-4BAC-9CE0-5FEAE3ACDBDE-5388-0000058A88C50E00_zps696fbec3.jpg

Last edited:
I just wrapped some arundel gecko this past weekend and it's holding up well after about 60 miles. I'll let you know how much wear is apparent, next week.

125 miles is ridiculous. Maybe take that isht off and wrap with strips of tissue paper for added durability. You should send it back to Zipp in a flaming bag. And that's all I have to say on the subject.

I put some on when I bought my roadie earlier this year and it's peeling in 2 places. I won't be buying it again.

Anything that you are talking about wearing in 120 miles is either has quality issues or isn't ride or die worthy.

Is it the road or cx version? I have used both and wasn't amazed by either. I actually have the road version on now, maybe 600 miles on it. With this type of tape, like a zipp, lizard skin, arundel gecko, eleganza bike ribbon, wrapping the tape too tight can lead to super fast wear as the top layer separates from the base.

Is it the road or cx version? I have used both and wasn't amazed by either. I actually have the road version on now, maybe 600 miles on it. With this type of tape, like a zipp, lizard skin, arundel gecko, eleganza bike ribbon, wrapping the tape too tight can lead to super fast wear as the top layer separates from the base.

uh oh... I wrapped the gecko pretty tight, since it doesnt stretch - at all. Hope I didnt eff it up. Now Pearl's disappointment is slightly less humorous.

Just use the Fizik. It works, it lasts, and it looks good.

Cotton tape and shellac. No electrical tape, finish with twine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Wear two pairs of gloves and make an appointment for Carpal Tunnel surgery.

Funny you say that, I was trying out my (sorta) new cross bike with just cotton tape I stole from work for electrical wire to see how the fit was and my hands no longer work.

Quite sticky tho...

Added them photos.

If that wear is just from your hands...you should move your hands around more. Experiment with different spots on the bars. Your hands will thank you and your tape will last longer. The hoods are only an inch away and make of longer-lasting rubber.

+1 for bar tape reviews.

Cinelli is the gold standard but i dont like the adhesive backing. So i have moved to Bontrager's gel tape. Luxuious!

The gecko stuff is intriguing but im afraid of the space age plastic that its made of - it will likely outlive my children.

-gv

I have the same issue with the Zipp CX bar tape, but it is on my road bike. I got more like 2,000 miles on it before a hole wore through. Do you wear gloves? I wear them 50% of the time, so that may come into play. I think I'm going to try the Fizik tape next time.

I recently went with the SRAM Red tape and I really like it. Soft(ish) but not LS DSP 2.5 soft (love that on the cx), and good grip even with sweaty hands.

Back
Top Bottom