Zion TT Thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Naw, I cross chain like a mofo and now have 50/30 but I am above 90 rpm seated climbing. Whatever it is, it just feels better to be in 50/30 compared to 34/20.

It's kind of like when I'm on the trainer. Doing 300 watt intervals at 85-90 rpm, it feels much better being in a high gear on the cassette than being in a low one.

I try to mix it up to wear evenly, but the higher gear just feel so much smoother. Even though the resistance and cadence is identical.

qclabrat

The "feel better" is the result of spreading the load across more teeth and thus less friction, therefore is smoother, assuming the rider is capable of handling the ascent. Dropping to the smaller chainring with the small teeth combo will increase the torque and allow rider to continue with slightly lower watts. I also recall something about the position of the knee during rotation in relation to the BB, but can't find it. The friction component is detailed more in the article below.

https://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/the-big-ring-mechanical-or-psychological-advantage/

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sure. And might as well hit a few others too. We will do starview - IMO that is the steepest climb around there.
I would agree, but out and backs are annoying, Zion is a longer effort
Dutchtown-Zion and Spring Hill are the next steepest, everything else is low grade heaven.

rick81721

Lothar
I would agree, but out and backs are annoying, Zion is a longer effort
Dutchtown-Zion and Spring Hill are the next steepest, everything else is low grade heaven.

I don't see what's so annoying about such a short out and back. The only part I don't like is you fly down but then have to cook the brakes to stop on amwell.

qclabrat

you guys are really MFing this aren't ya
1532528347589.png

CrankAddictRich

Interesting... just found this thread. I haven't attacked this climb in a while. It looks like my previous PR puts me top 10, but I can go deeper now. May have to wait until next spring though.

Top Bottom