Zero confidence- downhill with roots ahead - advice ?

Kaleidopete

Here's what you do - go to the sourland mountain preserve. Climb to the top, take these segments down: first then continue on trail to second. Repeat as necessary - those fearsome roots will seem like little twigs now.

JUST KIDDING - DO NOT DO THIS - YOU WILL DIE!!

Seriously, my white whale was/still is elevated skinnies. I can ride a 4 in wide imaginary skinny on the road for a quarter mile no issue, but get on a 12 in raised skinny in the woods and it's choke city. Others gave great advice - just keep at it, it'll get easier. Good luck!
12 inch! You're a baby! Wait until you're as old as me, 24 inch will be choke city!

thegock

Your weight should always be centered above your bottom bracket. When your front wheel drops down past a root,:eek: the centered position moves back towards the rear hub.:thumbsup:

Having a dropper makes it easier to shift the weight back.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am new to mountain biking as well. For me the biggest confidence booster in riding downhill came when I got a dropper post. Dropping the seat just lets me get my body position right so I don't feel like I'm about to go OTB the whole way down. I had no idea how much difference a dropper would make until I got one. It is so much more helpful than you would think.

RickVaughn

Walk it, pick your lines, and then just send it. Try to follow a more experienced rider. When I help people over an obstacle or a large roller or something, I usually have them just follow behind me. I think focusing on someone in front of you and seeing them do it helps get over any fear or hesitation.

Also, it's just time on the bike. You're not going to be bombing rock gardens and root sections after 3 hours on a bike. You also need to stop and session certain obstacles or sections. Group rides are fun but they typically don't stop for sessioning obstacles but that's where you really start to build up skills.

BPaze

I just started riding again after not riding for about 20 years and this may sound kinda dumb, but I found that after I just went for it and fell I realized that falling isn't the worst thing so now I have a lot more confidence. My biggest issue is that I am out of shape and when I get tired I get sloppy and I am always tired

RangerFanatic94

I just started riding again after not riding for about 20 years and this may sound kinda dumb, but I found that after I just went for it and fell I realized that falling isn't the worst thing so now I have a lot more confidence. My biggest issue is that I am out of shape and when I get tired I get sloppy and I am always tired
Kettle Bells - start there , 25 swings, 10 Goblet Squats, 20 Swings, 15 Goblet Squats, 15 Swings, 20 Goblet Squats, 10 Swings , 25 Goblet Squats - Tremendous routine 3x's a week for 20 weeks, add walking,I'm down 18 LBS.
And you know the deal eat clean and water. I'm a golfer as well - my core is whipping around thru the ball stronger and faster in years.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I recommend any program by Shaun T. T25, Max 30, Insanity, Insanity Sports Asylum. I gave them to you in that order because it goes from least to the most difficult. The first three don't require more then a few feet of space with no equipment and they are an amazing workout. Don't get discouraged if you have to stop, go at your own pace and rest when you need to. The guy leading the workouts and who designed them can't get through without stopping. These programs build overall strength and cardio but the best part, you don't need to leave your house.

qclabrat

@RangerFanatic94, maybe obvious but even foot pressure on both pedals for what others said about heavy feet.
To do this you'll need them at 3 and 9 o'clockish. This will also help to minimize pedals strikes on the roots or ground.

Top Bottom