Youth mountain bike advice

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Soooo a slight threadjack/infomercial

@Norm I apologize if this is against any rules, feel free to delete. This is in no way meant to be competition to mtbnj, actually quite the opposite, hoping to reach more people outside of our community who are otherwise unaware that they can have fun mountain biking with their kids, and ultimately joining organizations such as this and JORBA.

So guys/gals, last week I created a facebook group "New Jersey Junior Mountain Bikers". Maybe I need to change the name to "Kiddo MTB Club" to sound less like an organization? Open to recommendations...

Anyway, my main goal (as mentioned) is to get friends/family/etc to consider riding with their kids, beyond a huffy around the neighborhood. No kidding just created it, so it’s a pathetic 3 members. This idea came after multiple coworkers, whom are also cyclists, were asking me about kids bikes for their young'ins, how my kids learned to ride, where to go, etc.

Made me realize that if other "cyclists" are somewhat underwhelmed with available info/help, there's probably a bunch of kids out there missing out because their parents aren't aware of the family fun they could be having. Yes, LBS is a great source for info, but that's cart before the horse for parents who use box stores as their "LBS" because "why should a kids bike cost more than $50??"

Would be great if some of you with current or grown kids would join and help spread the word. I think this would also be a good way to set up unofficial/fun rides with the kids, and maybe get more people to tag along.

/jack

PS. Scott Scale RC JR 24 is a sick bike too!!

Tarroneus

link to the group? I want in! My son is 8 and is interested in trail biking, trying to capitalize while the iron is hot.

ChrispyKreme

Were gonna shoot for allaire this Saturday . he has fun on the fatbike so he can still ride until we find something better. Just really gotta decide what to get. They only have a 17 model at brielle. He recommend the 26 superfly but at a grand I really still dig the riprock

Matt_

I Get Jokes
For a grand the Scott Scale RC JR is ready to go out of the box. That's about what I have into my son's bike after the wheelset and drivetrain upgrades (and honestly wish he didn't have the suspension fork, aka anchor)

Riprock definitely has the cool factor....

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Were gonna shoot for allaire this Saturday . he has fun on the fatbike so he can still ride until we find something better. Just really gotta decide what to get. They only have a 17 model at brielle. He recommend the 26 superfly but at a grand I really still dig the riprock

So I'm supposed to be at a robotics competition Saturday, but if it's as nice out as it's supposed to be, family time may have to prevail.... may be up for Allaire.

Also I just had an epiphany... need to see if the 2017 Superfly frame/fork are disc ready. If so, I have my son's stock wheels & drivetrain that we could swap onto it. You can actually use the rim brakes and upgrade to disc later

TeamMuddySprocket

Currently have my 8.5yo daughter on a 20" hotrock ss i picked up from a board member... thinking of a geared 24" for this summer and with kid two probably 4yrs behind size wise will get alot of use.. keep looking at the cleary meerkat, seems reasonably light

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

@Norm I apologize if this is against any rules, feel free to delete. This is in no way meant to be competition to mtbnj, actually quite the opposite, hoping to reach more people outside of our community who are otherwise unaware that they can have fun mountain biking with their kids, and ultimately joining organizations such as this and JORBA.

So guys/gals, last week I created a facebook group "New Jersey Junior Mountain Bikers". Maybe I need to change the name to "Kiddo MTB Club" to sound less like an organization? Open to recommendations...

Anyway, my main goal (as mentioned) is to get friends/family/etc to consider riding with their kids, beyond a huffy around the neighborhood. No kidding just created it, so it’s a pathetic 3 members. This idea came after multiple coworkers, whom are also cyclists, were asking me about kids bikes for their young'ins, how my kids learned to ride, where to go, etc.

Made me realize that if other "cyclists" are somewhat underwhelmed with available info/help, there's probably a bunch of kids out there missing out because their parents aren't aware of the family fun they could be having. Yes, LBS is a great source for info, but that's cart before the horse for parents who use box stores as their "LBS" because "why should a kids bike cost more than $50??"

Would be great if some of you with current or grown kids would join and help spread the word. I think this would also be a good way to set up unofficial/fun rides with the kids, and maybe get more people to tag along.

/jack

Great idea!!! Guessing you have the pre-NICA kids in mind. Just hit the join request button.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Great idea!!! Guessing you have the pre-NICA kids in mind. Just hit the join request button.

Exactly, start em younger so they're ready to go when they hit NICA age as opposed to learning about it for the first time at school.... and get more people interested in the sport (along with more LBS support vs box store bikes)

choop

/jack

Excellent idea! I joined the group.

I tried getting a neighborhood ride together at Allaire last year during the spring/summer. But with kids sports, vacations, etc. it just never materialized the way I had hoped. Hopefully this will be a better springboard to get some more kids in the trails.

choop

My boy is just on the verge of being ready to move onto a 24" We are going to size some out this week. I rather he be a bit big on a 20" and handle the bike better than be really small on a 24" and have issues moving it around. Ideally I would love to buy a frame and build it up, but I can't find many 24" frames. I am leaning towards the rip rock, but I have issue putting a 50 to 55 lb kid on a 30 lb bike. It just doesn't add up when adults complain about how heavy a 25 lb bike is.

This is one of the few bikes I have found that understands that kids need lighter bikes and build them up far better than any of the big brands. But it ain't cheap.

Trailcraft

oobaa47

Just a suggestion, but maybe the Moderator can put in a subgroup under General Bike Talk, titled "kiddy talk" where we can discuss, well, all things childish.

Also looking for a bike for my 8 1/2 year old daughter. I want to transition her from a steel 20" over to what would be her first geared bike, probably looking at a 24".

In my very limited research, this is what I've come up with so far. Looking for a 1x drivetrain with a rigid fork. Prices are just approximations.

raleigh lily 24 $280
giant xtc jr 24 lite $230
giant xtc jr 24 disc $390
specialized hotrock 24 $350
trek precaliber 24 $300
cleary meerkat 24 $560
scott scale rc jr 24 $1000
huffy granite 24 $86.29 (sorry couldn't resist)

I'm sure there's a lot more out there, but in a week's worth of looking, this is what I've come up with so far. Please feel free to opine and add your own suggestions. thanks

Matt_

I Get Jokes
This is one of the few bikes I have found that understands that kids need lighter bikes and build them up far better than any of the big brands. But it ain't cheap.

Trailcraft

The Pine Ridge Pro is what I modelled my son's bike off of. We started with the Superfly 24 that we got on sale, then upgraded the drivetrain and components with used parts from here. Then Santa had the elves build him a Stans MK3 wheelset.

For about half the price of the Trailcraft we have a bike that's no more than 1lb heavier (which can be fixed by upgrading to the XCR air fork for another $150.... maybe for his birthday). Oh and he has those heavy ass bars/stem, but they're so cool they're worth the weight!

If @Chrisbfuse doesn't want them, the offers out there for any of you guys who want a 24" wheelset that has a shimano freehub and can be run disc or rim brakes. Simple way to upgrade a 2017 Superfly 24 to 1x9 or 1x10. Add on a Suntour XCR air fork, and bb7 disc brakes (if there are caliper tabs on the frame) and you'll have a sick little bike!

Edit: Price for rims = Join JORBA and attend at least one trail maintenance

Matt_

I Get Jokes
In my very limited research, this is what I've come up with so far. Looking for a 1x drivetrain with a rigid fork. Prices are just approximations.
It's easy to swap to 1x... I like the Raceface 30T nw for kids bikes.

I wanted a rigid fork too. Ended going with a better bike (for reasons previously stated) figuring I would swap out the anchor fork for a Trailcraft aluminum fork. My son is small and did really well, and I think the fork helps him when he doesnt time logovers properly.... so I've changed direction to considering air forks for the next upgrade (which is actually cheaper then the Trailcraft rigid fork... go figure)

Last edited:

ChrispyKreme

The Pine Ridge Pro is what I modelled my son's bike off of. We started with the Superfly 24 that we got on sale, then upgraded the drivetrain and components with used parts from here. Then Santa had the elves build him a Stans MK3 wheelset.

For about half the price of the Trailcraft we have a bike that's no more than 1lb heavier (which can be fixed by upgrading to the XCR air fork for another $150.... maybe for his birthday). Oh and he has those heavy ass bars/stem, but they're so cool they're worth the weight!

If @Chrisbfuse doesn't want them, the offers out there for any of you guys who want a 24" wheelset that has a shimano freehub and can be run disc or rim brakes. Simple way to upgrade a 2017 Superfly 24 to 1x9 or 1x10. Add on a Suntour XCR air fork, and bb7 disc brakes (if there are caliper tabs on the frame) and you'll have a sick little bike!

Edit: Price for rims = Join JORBA and attend at least one trail maintenance
I really appreciate the offer, I'm gonna go to brielle tonight and size him up. Going to look at the 24 and 26 superfly. At a grand the 26 is up there but looks like killer specs. Ill update tonight

Top Bottom