Your next bike just got a lot more expensive

alex_k

Oh, I thought you were talking about welfare. Y'know, the type many white Americans in rural parts of middle America rely on to feed their families.

...I'm done. :rolleyes:

I doubt they receive much from welfare, many of them have some property so I belive that makes them ineligible...

Chris(NJ)

1537547983960.png

1537548033930.png

1537548079294.png

The Kalmyk

@rick81721 I have had great improvements with my back problem using a teeter hang up regularly. Also works well in getting pooled blood out of the legs post ride. 100 bucks on Craigslist.

Edit- Teeter is made in the USA so does that mean no price increase?

Double Edit- Might be assembled in the USA. Have to double check.

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Yeah, definitely looks likes too much screen time drove that society to the ground.

It’s more about me showing my kids there are others that wake up every morning and don’t know where their food/water is coming from, how they are going to bath, etc. Ever think about how much impact a light switch has made our lives? Every now and again i remind my kids that they hit the lottery just being born in this country. Sometimes it’s not a bad idea for all of us to trade in a little expectation for appreciation.

Lack of screen time sounds kinda silly when you keep the big picture in mind.

@Duke its going to be an amazing day. I’m hoping you have some time to get out on the bike.

Last edited:

Duke

It’s more about me showing my kids there are others that wake up every morning and don’t know where their food/water is coming from, how they are going bath, etc. Ever think about how impactful a light switch has made our lives? Every now and again i remind my kids that they hit the lottery just being born in this country. Sometimes it’s not a bad idea for all of us to trade in a little expectation for appreciation.

Lack of screen time sounds kinda silly when you keep the big picture in mind.

@Duke its going to be an amazing day. I’m hoping you have some time to get out on the bike.
I can appreciate that perspective, enjoy the ride today

Godzilla

Well to be honest it was only a matter of time. America used to be a producer and a manufacturing country. And that is what made us strong. But then companies realized they could shut down factories and shops here, and setup shop overseas, where no labor laws and wage laws exist and actually make more money just shipping it back to america. Well since all the industries here shut down, but overseas they were going strong, as well as now making money off these plants... they grew in strength and bargaining demand. And now america wants industry back to once again improve our standing as a world supplier and power, only issue being the industries no longer exist. So these tariffs while affecting us the consumers, are really to hurt the bottom dollar of these companies... and a way to say if you want to make money and exist, come back to america and rebuild... and in " theory " if that does occur,
Then in a few years it will balance out. But right now its really really bad.

Godzilla

Plus there are already ways around all this. Something as simple as leaving some bolts out of the bike, this way they can say " produced " in china,... hand built in " America " or they can do dumb things behind the scenes by coming out with new technology where bars and stems are 1 piece or seat and seatpost are one piece and the bikes have integrated seat post clamps.... this way they can say its just a seat and seat post and the bike is the included seat post clamp. So they only get taxed on a seat and seatpost, and seat post clamp. And then turn around and increase cost in american dollars to whatever they deem. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Do not be fooled by this whole, end of the world 25% cost increase, that is just companies finding more ways to squeeze you, and then say its the government

Xler8

But then companies realized they could shut down factories and shops here, and setup shop overseas, where no labor laws and wage laws exist and actually make more money just shipping it back to america.

Sounds like that show... American Greed. Now they can make a new show called Global Greed.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i don't think this is all about trade, and leveling the cost differential of labor.
some is pressure to affect policy change.

a few i could think of is:
  • intellectual property theft
  • selling goods to countries where sanctions are in-place
  • that island being built in the china sea
  • unfettered import of american made goods
The tariffs were installed under the provision claiming national security, not unfair trade.

BTW - capitalism works, minimizing cost is part of it. Very few things are necessary to have, so it will always be the willingness to pay
that drives the price, not the cost of producing/delivering the goods, or the taxes. Then it is a business decision based on price elasticity to
decide if a product is viable.

The Kalmyk

i don't think this is all about trade, and leveling the cost differential of labor.
some is pressure to affect policy change.

a few i could think of is:
  • intellectual property theft
  • selling goods to countries where sanctions are in-place
  • that island being built in the china sea
  • unfettered import of american made goods
The tariffs were installed under the provision claiming national security, not unfair trade.

BTW - capitalism works, minimizing cost is part of it. Very few things are necessary to have, so it will always be the willingness to pay
that drives the price, not the cost of t/delivering the goods, or the taxes. Then it is a business decision based on price elasticity to
decide if a product is viable.

Just from what I have observed and it means little to anything-

The over arching goal is to de value the Yaun.

Edit- Intellectual property theft really sucks imo (nothing like a fake pair of Jordans- right @Dusty the Whale )

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
This was cannondale’s response:

Dear Retailer,

As you know, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) issued the final list of $200 billion in Chinese imports that are subject to considerable tariffs. The first phase of 10% tariffs go into effect today, and will rise to 25% effective January 1, 2019. We have no control over this situation and must adjust our pricing to account for this tax.

To minimize the impact and maintain more sensible pricing spreads across the product line, we will adjust pricing by approximately 5%-8% across our bike line and 8%-10% across the P&A line– excluding helmets and lights. Both wholesale and retails will be adjusted in order to protect your margin. You should also be prepared for another price increase at the end of the year if the second round of 25% tariffs are passed. We will keep you informed as we continue to monitor this situation.

Top Bottom