Your In-Car Gear Bag

iman29

I use 2 Plastic 5 Gallon buckets leftover from some arts and craft project we had once so they were clean/new and not full of old spackle compound. My son named it the "Go Buckets".

1 bucket has all the clothing accessories like gloves, shoe covers of all types, arm and leg warmers, other bucket has all the other crap like gels, hand/foot warmers, sunglasses, clear glasses, extra CO2 and tubes and at the bottom you can probably find a crap ton of safety pins, and expired Clif bars and packs of Nutter Butter cookies. Oh and fig newtons, love those.

Morning of any ride, I decide which helmet, clothes and shoes I need, then I take it all with me anyway "just in case I need it".

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's

BabyRobot

That cat5 bag is pretty jazzy! After reading through this I went and got myself a husky soft-side tool bag for all the tools & spares. Then I use a duffel for anything I'm going to wear & eat. Big upgrade from the ziplock bag of clanging tools & parts.

gtluke

The Moped
I bought a cat5 bag and promptly returned it. Pretty poor quality and awkward. It would be great if it were like $20, but it's still like to wide to use while sitting inside the car.
I use the cube though. I have a whole cube set so this goes well with what I already have.
Having 4 bikes and 4 cars I was sick of gathering everything constantly. I actually carry more dog stuff than bike stuff in it though.
Helmet, shoes, waterbottle and lights are in there now. A shock pump because I just got back from flying where I deflated the fork for packing.
2 waterbottles for me, nalgene for ride there/back
I don't even bother putting any kind of tire pump in my car or bike if I have my Ibis after having schwalbe procore for a year. I'll put a pump or two in the tires every other month or so at home, it's really quite a remarkable setup. There's a multitool on all my bikes (thanks jorba) so I don't pack any tools in the car.
I tend to forget the dog stuff more often so that's really why I need a bag. E-collar and remote, portable dish, water, something orange if it's hunting season, and the one leash I have that fits around my waist perfect.
Bring the whole bag inside to charge all the things and refill all the bottles.
Much more convenient in the winter when I can never find my balaclava, neck warmer, arm warmers, layers, 90 pairs of gloves, extra socks blah blah blah.

i-JLvjQqQ-X3.jpg

qclabrat

I get one of them burly avocado boxes from Costco for the shoes and other dirty bits. There are other good boxes, but usually a few avocado boxes laying around.
Has two strong handle to remove when I need space in the trunk of the Pilot. Toss out and replace when it gets ugly. Zero dollars used and following one of the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle).

1524841961187.png

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to use the Mountainsmith cubes
IMG_0445.JPG

Pretty cool concept-
One each for bike stuff, hike stuff, kayak stuff and general car stuff.
Only downsides are they are single compartments (aside from pocket sleeve up top) and leaving them all in the car pretty much takes up the whole trunk.

I keep the bike one in the trunk with spare helmet, shoes and tubes and stuff. Rest of the cubes are in the basement.

Top Bottom