Xterra triathlon in alleghany state park in western ny

I did the Raccoon Rally there years ago. I remember it as being a lot of double-track, and not terribly rocky. Most of the trails double as XC ski trails in the winter.

Grassy, soul sucking , mind numbing, long climbs. I can't even compare to anything I've seen in Jersey. It's almost like riding on the grass in CX, but way uphill. Like Myster said, very non technical.

Exiting the trail you'll have the option do to "expert finish" or easy finish. The expert finish is steep switchbacks, with a stunning, open view, way different from the other 95% of the course. And a little water crossing that I saw a few people fall in the drink.

It's a great race to relay with friends. Allegheny is known for its cabin camping..book your cabin early. It was 35F on race morning last year so tent camping might be pushing it unless you are really tough. It is a state park but almost as nice as a National park. Not much going on in Salamanca, NY in case you were wondering.

Anything else you want to know? Full disclosure, I got mild hypothermia and DNF in the Epic :-((
Tell your swimmer to wear earplugs.

Back
Top Bottom