Xterra Jersey Devil?

hczeke

I was looking at the Xterra Webpage and they had a Xterra Jersey Devil race(no specifics though) planned for 5/1/2011. Does anyone know about this race? Location?
Thanks,
Zeke

rocknrollgirl

I think it is down here in south jersey at at BSA camp in Waretown. I was in contact with a guy that was trying to get it off the ground last year.

In all honesty, I cautioned him about his intended venue. The ticks and chiggers are so bad down here in the spring and summer, we do not set foot in the woods. I have pulled ticks off in January in those same woods. Let me suffice it to say that I am a dedicated Xterra athlete, this venue is 20 mins from my house and I will not race there.

I appreciate the effort to get another race in NJ. God knows we are overdue, but not down here. There are so many great spots up north, I do not understand the push to have it here in tick central. I do not think that people can fully understand until you live here. I voiced my concerns and was shut down, so that is that.

I do not want to be unsupportive of the effort, so after saying my 2 cents here, I am keeping quiet on the Xterra site.

Maybe I am wrong and it is some place else entirely....but I do not think so.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Barnegat

Joseph A Citta Scout Reservation in Barnegat. 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile mtb, 4 mile trail run.
I'm supposing that if you plan, with the right substances, you'll minimize any buggy issues. (Or if you're thick skinned like me, you won't have any issues. :) )

Last edited:

xterrabob

XTERRA Jersey Devil, thanks

So, I was stuck inside for a day or 2 with all this snow and had time to catch up on some Forums. It was great to see XTERRA Jersey Devil on one of the threads here.

As the Race director of the XTERRA Jersey Devil, I just want to thank everyone for bringing attention to the race. It certainly takes a lot of work to put one of these together (as I quickly realized!), so to have others notice its presence on the XTERRA 2011 race schedule is a good feeling.

Getting to the discussion here. It took a lot of work to find a location for the race, in the Ocean and Monmouth County (Jersey Shore Area) and given my familiarity with the area down in Barnegat and my personal history with the Scout Camp (I was a camper their for many years) I felt having a race at the Citta Scout Camp was a great choice. (For more on that read the Mission Statement on the XTERRA Jersey Devil website and see who the race benefits).

Anyway, as an avid marathon runner and two-time XTERRA Regional Champion, I train a lot and all over the area. I've run with a group of friends, extensively and on a weekly basis, through trails in Wells Mills Park, at all times of the year (sometimes on 3 hour runs down there). I also mountain bike there with friends, in addition to many other parks in Monmouth and Ocean County. I check for ticks at the end of most workouts - whether at Wells Mills, or Allaire, or Hartshorne, and really almost anywhere I run or ride in the woods on the East Coast.

Therefore, I really don't think ticks or chiggers will be a problem, based
on my experience down there and others who's opinion I solicited when planning this race. I hope everyone who comes to do the race will enjoy it and Live More, as the XTERRA motto points out, and hope the course I have designed will reflect that motto.

Feel free to contact me directly with any follow-up questions at bob@xterrajerseydevil.com

And to further explain why I chose the Citta Scout Reservation as the race site, please feel free to explore the website and again check out the Mission Statement section @ www.XTERRAjerseydevil.com

Thanks,
Bob Horn
XTERRA Jersey Devil Race Director and Eagle Scout

Top Bottom