Xc/trail grip recommendations

oobaa47

I know this is highly subjective, but I was wondering what kind of grips everyone prefers. My stock grips sort of look like odi ruffians but give my hands problems when descending. I was looking for something with a little more shock absorption....thx

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+3 for the ESI chunkys. Just the regular chunkys. I've had mine on so long, they've worn down to the racers skinny size.

You need to wash them good when you wash your bike, or they smell like old grips.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
+11 on esi. I use the extra chunky and the wolf tooth fat paws (which are basically esi extra extra chunky). First grip that fit my hands and also excellent shock absorption and grip.

oobaa47

I've only rocked lock-ons on my bikes......do the esi chunky's ever come loose? What about if water or dirt gets underneath? It just seems the way they are put on that they would loosen up way before lock-ons would...

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I've only rocked lock-ons on my bikes......do the esi chunky's ever come loose? What about if water or dirt gets underneath? It just seems the way they are put on that they would loosen up way before lock-ons would...
I’ve had less issues with esi than lock on grips. I’ve had lock ons slip but can’t remember silicone grips moving on me.

JDurk

I've never had a problem. The ends usually get beat up then I just replace. Install with alcohol works great. Have removed with compressor nozzle and reinstalled with alcohol. No slipping.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The DMR Death Grips have become a shop favorite for a while now.

http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-dmr-death-grips/

They are bigger than most and they hold up really well

Good w or w/o gloves too

They lock on with a single clamp and they never move

We have the camo, blk and orange on hand in the shop

I tried the esi and I found them to be too smooth and highly fragile.

one piece crank

That deathgrip looks nice and remids me of the old ODI's I have on my Fat Chance.

For everything else I use BMX grips - lots of variety in style, pattern, thickness and rubber compound. I smear 3M contact adhesive on the bar and inside the grip, slide it on and wipe off the excess - dries in 12/24 hours. I've been doing this for decades and the grips will stay put for a season or two, but the adhesive rubs right off the bar when you replace grips.

Top Bottom