XC skiing

ktmrider

IMG_1395.JPG i haven't XC skied in over 17 years , I had the opportunity to get back into it this week in Colorado , I remembered not liking it at all , maybe because my friends would make fun of me . This is a great sport , I had some really good sessions and it was easy to push myself because of the fun I was having and the backdrop , don't think I will do it in the east but I will definatlely get into it next year .
Are the skis different from the east to the west ? Should I wait to buy when I'm living in the west ? What would the cost be on a high end set up ? Any help would be appreciated

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are the skis different from the east to the west ? Should I wait to buy when I'm living in the west ? What would the cost be on a high end set up ? Any help would be appreciated
I don't think the skis are different but I do believe the selection may be better out west. There is not a big xc ski culture living in NJ, if you go up to the ADKS or VT it's more of a thing and the gear selection is better...the same is true out west if you are near snow. There is the Internet if you know what you are looking for.
The nice thing about xc skiing is the gear is not as expensive as downhill skiing. If you look for sales you can get a high end set up with everything for $500-$600 range. You can spend more then this if you get into the racing end of xc skiing(like cycling you pay a premium for lighter performance oriented stuff).

When are you moving out west? If you are going to be in NJ for the winter it can't hurt to have a xc quiver ready to go. It may sit idle but if it does snow you'll be ready for it.

I'm not sure what type of xc skiing you are into. In NJ it's nice to have a out -the -backdoor setup. This is a recreational type ski for exploring local parks, golf courses and trails. When going to a groomed xc ski center I like to bring my skate skis...but for starters you can't go wrong with a touring recreational ski.

I would spend more money on better ski boots, possibly a combi boot that you can wear with other skis.

ktmrider

IMG_3001.JPG IMG_2992.JPG IMG_3001.JPG
I don't think the skis are different but I do believe the selection may be better out west. There is not a big xc ski culture living in NJ, if you go up to the ADKS or VT it's more of a thing and the gear selection is better...the same is true out west if you are near snow. There is the Internet if you know what you are looking for.
The nice thing about xc skiing is the gear is not as expensive as downhill skiing. If you look for sales you can get a high end set up with everything for $500-$600 range. You can spend more then this if you get into the racing end of xc skiing(like cycling you pay a premium for lighter performance oriented stuff).

When are you moving out west? If you are going to be in NJ for the winter it can't hurt to have a xc quiver ready to go. It may sit idle but if it does snow you'll be ready for it.

I'm not sure what type of xc skiing you are into. In NJ it's nice to have a out -the -backdoor setup. This is a recreational type ski for exploring local parks, golf courses and trails. When going to a groomed xc ski center I like to bring my skate skis...but for starters you can't go wrong with a touring recreational ski.

I would spend more money on better ski boots, possibly a combi boot that you can wear with other skis.
Thanks a lot for the info I was on trail for awhile but I just wasn't really used to the motions so I struggled , I jumped on a forest road that was packed by snow machines and I did really well . I had the most fun just cruising on the road . It amazed me how much ground I could cover . I guess it was a combination of the surroundings ,the air , and the wildlife that took the pain out of my legs . I did cross a small creek on a log that was maybe a 3 ft span , wow that was difficult ....I remember it being easier years ago .
I plan on being in Co full time in May . This sport is going to be very consuming for me , it's been awhile that I have had this much fun
The picture is basically what I was on , nice and easy and I was able to keep my head on a swivel looking for wildlife which I found

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
go out to breck after it hasn't snowed for a few day and do the boreas pass out-and-back. the out is "uphill", old rail bed so under 3%, now road, closed in the winter to traffic.

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/winter/borpas_xc.htm

it is absolutely beautiful - i broke a pole about 6 miles out, luckily the return was a dh.

there is a ton of backcountry, showshoe/skin in, ski down. you'll get hooked up with the locals soon enough..

ktmrider

Thx pat I skied an awesome bowl there when I was in my 30s and would travel from dec to march backcountry skiing throughout the US & Canada , I seem to remember a lot of skinning
Breck is about 50 mins away from my house . The whole area is like a crazy platground that I Can't wait to explore .

Top Bottom