WTT: 2012 Trek X-Caliber 19" for any Medium 29er

EricB

Just purchased a 19" Trek/Fisher X-Caliber with a Reba fork, but I really should have gone for the Medium.:mad2:

Its a 2012, and in perfect condition, besides a scratch on the rear derailleur.

Looking for a similiar spec'd bike in a Medium.
Will consider a FS as well.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

did u buy at a bike shop and did they size you up? Bring it back and say this is too big you idiots.

what is bothering your about the large? The arm reach? Not enough standover? Too little seatpost?

Are you speaking frameset+fork or complete bike?

starflyr

Just purchased a 19" Trek/Fisher X-Caliber with a Reba fork, but I really should have gone for the Medium.:mad2:

Its a 2012, and in perfect condition, besides a scratch on the rear derailleur.

Looking for a similiar spec'd bike in a Medium.
Will consider a FS as well.

its probably those big dumb wheels

EricB

Sizing

did u buy at a bike shop and did they size you up? Bring it back and say this is too big you idiots.

what is bothering your about the large? The arm reach? Not enough standover? Too little seatpost?

Are you speaking frameset+fork or complete bike?

Nope, If I bought it at the shop of course I would have taken it back. I got it on CR, apparently the guy was moving and needed $$ and didn't have the space. Bike looks spotless.

Unfortunatly the problem is the standover, and thats the one thing that can't be fixed. Its at about 1/4-1/2". My only thought was droping the fork to 80mm.
Reach seems OK for now, but after riding some more I might swap out the 105 stem for a 90.

Not sure if I want a whole new bike, or just a frame and I can rip the parts off what I have now.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Just for everyone at home, how tall are you? Maybe it just "feels" big? I was always riding Mediums because they felt right. Once I got comfortable on a Large, the game changed. I'm 5'11.9.

EricB

5'9"

Only 5'9".

Due to availability, I rode some Large Specialized last week at a demo and they felt fine so I thought this would be similiar.

Apparently their FS bikes have a lower standover than the HT's. However their Medium hardtails have the same standover as this Trek Large....

I can stradle the bike fine on flat ground, but if I have to jump off on an uphill or something else goes wrong im gonna destroy my boys.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was always afraid of smashing my junk too. You hardly ever stand with two feet flat on the ground when you are riding, and you for sure never fall like that. You may have the right bike, just not used to it yet!

MikeP

I was always afraid of smashing my junk too. You hardly ever stand with two feet flat on the ground when you are riding, and you for sure never fall like that. You may have the right bike, just not used to it yet!

What Pearl said. TT length IMO is more important than SO height. Obviuosly you need some but if I had to choose an inch less SO and get the right TT length that's where I'm going.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree with the TT being more important comments, but if you can get both, i.e. SO and effective TT, why not. Seems like you're sort of in between size.

You might have better luck buying a used frame and then selling your's. Or sell your bike and get another used one. It's gonna be hard to find a person who's gonna trade their bike for something that doesn't fit them.

Top Bottom