WTB Weirwolf 26x2.35 UST tire

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I got these in December when HucknRoll was blowing them out for $33.00 or so each. I had a new set of tubeless Mavic rims, was going to put my old tires on but couldn't pass up the deal. Anyway.

Installation:
The tires seated up with a floor pump no problem. Initially I was NOT running sealer, but after some porous tire issues I put in Stans. IMHO, a tire labelled UST should be capable of running without sealer, however the UST does refer to the bead seat rather than the tubeless air retention capabilities, so that's a wash. Air retention is good, I don't know about anyone else's experience but tubeless air pressures need to be checked much more frequently than tubes. But these are better than my Saguro's or Racing Ralphs.

Performance:
Good:
*Absolutely tough as nails. I've hit everything, rocks, logs, heard the tire "ping" off rocks in gardens...they hold up. I haven't seen even a nick or scratch on them. Top notch in this area. Beasts. I'm around 190lbs or so for reference.
*Climbing is good to excellent, braking is also fine.
*Good also on dry rock...but almost anything would be.
*Roll fast, much lower resistance than the Nevegals.
*Excellent wear.

Bad.
*Side grip. It's bordering on awful. As the tire has broken in some it's improved (or I'm used to it), but flat hardpack turns and anything off camber requires a balancing act. I was frankly shocked, as most call the tire a good to great handling product. I don't know if HucknRoll was blowing out an oddball batch or something but very disappointing.
*Pretty small for a 2.3, looks barely bigger than my stock Nevegals in 2.2. I was riding with a guy who owns a Remedy, his 2.3 Nevegals looked like motocross tires compared to mine.
*Little nervous feeling on high speed gravel, but that might just be me.

To sum up, they are a extremely durable tire that except for the cornering grip would be a winner. As they are, I will probably try something else when they're due. Which is going to be a while!

Overall grade: C.

I ran Weirwolf 2.1 with tubes, and I have to agree with the overall rating.
Granted I run pretty high psi, but I still found them really lacking in terms of traction. They broke free just a little too easily, and didn't like roots/rocks, especially when wet.

On smoother surfaces- hardpack/sand they were better and rolling resistance was great, but I replaced mine with something more aggressive. Or extreme.

What psi are you running? That might account for some of the poor handling issues...

Low twenties currently. (according to my floor pump). Steadily lowered pressures, think I started around thirty or so when I first installed them.

What psi are you running? That might account for some of the poor handling issues...

If this is at me- I am running obscenely high psi (40), and I know what that does for traction, but I've always run high PSI, so I can compare this with other tires I've run at the same level.
I may have had unrealistic expectations for traction on the rough/wet stuff given the tread profile.

I've been running the tube version of these (2.35 in front, 2.1 in rear) for a while. I honestly am no so great with comparing one tire with another, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the Weirwolf tires are awful at shedding mud when the trails are wet. The small, closely spaced tread packs up real bad and traction goes away. As someone who seems to tear up sidewalls, however, all of the WTB tires I have owned have held up exceptionally well.

Back
Top Bottom