WTB: Town / commuter bike. Size=Smallish.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking for a ride to the train station or farmer's market bike. Must fit somebody 5'4" ish. Also must be relatively inexpensive. Extra points for style. Whatcha got?

in case it isn't for you.....

late 1970s (?) woman's collegiate - 3sp, coaster brake, with front brake.

probably has less than 100 miles on it. has some garage rash, but overall really nice.

Mom was about 5'4"

if it is of interest, i'll pull it down, and see if the hub still works.

IMG_7618.JPG IMG_7619.JPG

not sure it's a lady's bike you're after, but I really like the look of the split tube mixties
Soma still makes one called the Buena Vista, not cheap but you can find older ones on craigslist for about $100
8727138111_851923a813.jpg

not sure it's a lady's bike you're after, but I really like the look of the split tube mixties
Soma still makes one called the Buena Vista, not cheap but you can find older ones on craigslist for about $100
8727138111_851923a813.jpg
I'd love to find a straight tube soma like this.

in case it isn't for you.....

late 1970s (?) woman's collegiate - 3sp, coaster brake, with front brake.

probably has less than 100 miles on it. has some garage rash, but overall really nice.

Mom was about 5'4"

if it is of interest, i'll pull it down, and see if the hub still works.

View attachment 57087 View attachment 57088

Did it get put away working? If so, mix 2 parts 20wt oil and 1 part kerosene (or OMS), and inject/pour/whatever about 15-30mls into the hub through the oil port, and ride it around the block. It will leak like a bastard, but should free up the sliding bits inside. If it has no port, remove the push rod, and pour it through the right side of the axle. You may need to plug the left side.

If it's a SA, I can fix it if it's broken/not responding.

I'd love to find a straight tube soma like this.

AFAIK, Civia was the only brand to make a level top-tube "mixte", the Twin Cities.

Did it get put away working? If so, mix 2 parts 20wt oil and 1 part kerosene (or OMS), and inject/pour/whatever about 15-30mls into the hub through the oil port, and ride it around the block. It will leak like a bastard, but should free up the sliding bits inside. If it has no port, remove the push rod, and pour it through the right side of the axle. You may need to plug the left side.

If it's a SA, I can fix it if it's broken/not responding.

AFAIK, Civia was the only brand to make a level top-tube "mixte", the Twin Cities.

it was working - and is still hanging!!! maybe play this weekend.
ty for the tips!

Funny. I was just thinking I shouldn't have sold that bike, although I think it's too big for my needs. We actually had a Linus Mixte that we sold last year which would have been ideal. That was a cool bike. C'est la vie.

Soma mixte looks rad but expensive. Something along the lines of the BD mixte would be good too. I'd like to avoid the beach cruiser look if possible because I find them objectionable.

@fidodie let me know about the Collegiate. You just reminded me that I actually have my MIL's Collegiate in my warehouse but I know the Sturmey Archer hub needs some work. I'm guessing the tires are rotten?

Funny. I was just thinking I shouldn't have sold that bike, although I think it's too big for my needs. We actually had a Linus Mixte that we sold last year which would have been ideal. That was a cool bike. C'est la vie.

Soma mixte looks rad but expensive. Something along the lines of the BD mixte would be good too. I'd like to avoid the beach cruiser look if possible because I find them objectionable.

@fidodie let me know about the Collegiate. You just reminded me that I actually have my MIL's Collegiate in my warehouse but I know the Sturmey Archer hub needs some work. I'm guessing the tires are rotten?

took the bike off the hook for the first time in 11 years (we rebuilt the garage) and it was at least 15 before that!!!

it is in wonderful shape - with only the front reflector missing, and a small dent in the rear fender - shifting works (although the location of the trigger is suspect!)
front hand, and rear coaster brakes work fine (i had a little panic when i went to stop, and forgot it was coaster) - rubber is fine, and it is holding air short term. will report back
in the morning.

the couple of laps in my driveway were fun. by the looks of the tires, it could have less than 50 miles on it.

i'm going to be in long valley tomorrow - i could swing through somewhere (central morris county?) and drop it if you want to check it out.

it also came from a classic shop: Marcello's in Boonton!

Back
Top Bottom