WSF 2014/2015 Season JORBA Rides & Work

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The JORBA-Wharton 2014/2015 Season Night Rides and Trail work Schedule (and WSF Batsto area MTB Trail map) is now linked on the JORBA-Wharton page... http://www.jorba.org/wharton

Wharton staff asked for our participation on National Public Lands Day this year. So our first trail work day is earlier then usual, Saturday September 27. Current plan for the day calls for trail tread repair on the first mile, clearing nicks, removing silt, and firming up the trail where it needs it.

Much thanks to those that have been brushing back the trails on their rides this summer. And thanks to Dave for helping to chop 'n drag that blowdown off the trail last Sunday.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Took a walk with Moe R. today, brushing back the red Teaberry Trail and trimming the west side of the green. Ride the red!

yummmmmm... another sub.

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Brian's post struck a chord... I understand and know first hand that many can't make the Saturday work days. So some impromptu WSF TM days pop up for Sunday or mid-week.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=529352#post529352

For the riders that assume we are paid park and forestry employees working on the bike trail, you're wrong. We are unpaid volunteers working 40+ and taking care of family just like you. We give up ride time to take care of the trails and communicate with forestry staff.

For the riders that don't show up for TM days, and know I am not a paid park and forestry employee, and then insist on telling me that I should be spending more of my ride time developing and maintaining trails in whatever park or woodlot is in your neighborhood... that look I give you, that makes you think that I think you're an idiot... you're correct. :)

Last edited:

sj_john

The good for nothing "YOU SHOULD'A" guys...

Yeah, we just love you guys that ride up with your great suggestions. Well, you know where you can shove them.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Spoken like true ambassadors. :eek:

Ten years of listening to *you know what you should do* wears thin the veneer of ambassadorship. :p
One of the only things that keep that veneer in place at all is hearing *thanks* and *how can I help*. :)

Last edited:

pibbles

my work schedule hasn't allowed me to help out (work Saturdays),but I'm taking off to help out the 27th. I know that none of this negativity is meant for me and I'd just like too add that the tm is more fun than I thought it would be. I've met some great people and learned alot! I even have special pants that I wear that everyone loves,so come on out and help! You are guaranteed to have a great time and if you don't it's because you said or did something that made me ridicule you and I apologize in advance for that but you probably had it coming......

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
my work schedule hasn't allowed me to help out (work Saturdays),but I'm taking off to help out the 27th. I know that none of this negativity is meant for me and I'd just like too add that the tm is more fun than I thought it would be. I've met some great people and learned alot! I even have special pants that I wear that everyone loves,so come on out and help! You are guaranteed to have a great time and if you don't it's because you said or did something that made me ridicule you and I apologize in advance for that but you probably had it coming......

Yes! Current TWC 9/27/14 National Public Lands Day forecast for 08037 looks great. Meet at 9:00 in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot near the trailhead. Tools, work gloves and water provided. Bring your favorite work shoes, a sense of humor, and maybe a snack.
We'll walk a short way up the trail across the sand road to repair the trail tread there. Will walk back to the cars before 12:30 and take a beginner pace ride around the red, white and blue. Helmet and sense of humor required for the ride. Pibbles will be pointing out the trail trees.

sandman

We maybe around the Penn swamp area on the 27. Don't trim any brush on our account. Thanks Kurt:popcorn:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks!

Much thanks to; Moray42, SJ_John and Pibbles for the trail repair and erosion control work done today on that section of trail near the trailhead. :) A big thanks to Moray42 for leading the design team!

The next Wharton trail work day is Saturday October 11. Preliminary work plan calls for clipping back the pine sections near the firetower.

There is a recent recurring problem with a couple of rogue moto riders ignoring the signs and tearing up the Penn Branch Bicycle Trail. If you see these riders, please take note of the location and the time you saw the riders and leave the info at the forestry office or send me a pm. Thanks.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The next Wharton trail work day is Saturday October 11. Preliminary work plan calls for clipping back the pine sections near the firetower.

We are cancelling the planned Saturday 10/11/14 trail work due to weather. The current TWC forecast is for rain starting tonight and continuing to Saturday afternoon. :(

Just a heads up that the Batsto Village Country Living Fair is Sunday 10/19/14. Batsto will very crowded, with overflow parking in the fields. This is probably the only day that you will see traffic jams on the nearby roads. :)

The first night ride of the season is Saturday 10/25/14. Meet near the trail head. Wheels out at 6:00 pm (or maybe even 6:15) . Sunset is at 6:06. We'll be riding the inner loop trails and be back at the parking lot before 9:00.

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers.The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

There is no hunting in Wharton State Forest on Sundays. Here is the link for the 2014-2015 NJ DEP Fish and Wildlife deer hunting regulation sets.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2014/regsets14-15.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/images/hunting/deer_zone_map.jpg

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Night Riiiiiiiieeeeeede

The first night ride of the season is Saturday 10/25/14. Meet near the trail head. Wheels out at 6:00 pm (or maybe even 6:15) . Sunset is at 6:06. We'll be riding the inner loop trails and be back at the parking lot before 9:00.

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers.The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

The current TWC forecast for the 10/25/14 night ride looks excellent. Casual converstational no-drop pace. There is word that a sasquatch was spotted off of the Washington Turnpike several weeks ago, so we have that to look forward to.

The Wharton Forest staff will be hosting mtb beginner paced morning rides on 12/6/14 and 1/1/15. Check their events schedule at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/calendar/index.html

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The 10/25/14 night ride was fun. An almost even mix of single and double track under a clear starlit night. We didn't see the sasquatch, though sj_john mentioned that he heard its roar. :D Thanks to all that came out for the ride.

The next trail work day 11/8/14. Preliminary plan is to trim back the pines by the firetower and maybe repair the trail tread near the eastern switchback.

I'm planning to hunt down the stump that bit one of the Saturday night riders. So you might see me out there in the next week or two, hatchet in hand, looking for the culprit.

Frank

Sasquatch
I'm planning to hunt down the stump that bit one of the Saturday night riders. So you might see me out there in the next week or two, hatchet in hand, looking for the culprit.

It was in the twisty section near that pine tree :D

Fun ride btw, thanks for hosting!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
11/8/14 trail work

The next trail work day is Saturday November 8. We'll be meeting at 9:00 near the trail head in the Batsto Village Visitor Center parking lot.

Someone has been helping out and clipping back the pines near the fire tower (thanks! :)), which gives us the opportunity to repair the two short sugary sections on the trailhead. Tools, work gloves, water and bad jokes provided. Bring your favorite pair of work shoes, maybe a snack, and a copious amount of humor. Quitting time is before 12:30, with the possibility of a short ride after.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks!

Thanks to Gina, Rick and John, a lot of green trail maintenance was completed yesterday. :)

The JORBA-Wharton Thanksgiving Weekend Appetite Night Ride is Saturday November 29. http://www.jorba.org

The Wharton staff hosted morning beginner rides will be on Saturday December 6 2014 and January 1 2015. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/calendar/index.html

The next scheduled trail maintanence is Saturday January 10 2015.
The local old-timers are saying this winter will be harsh. If the weather doesnt cooperate that day, we'll take a snow ride down to Jenkins Neck and back, or something similar. Or maybe we'll all flee to Ocala and ride the Santos Trails that weekend. :)

JDurk

Rode the fresh cut re-route on the orange/green yesterday. Once packed down, should be nice. It was a painful surprise after doing the big loop CCW, went from a fast avg speed to what felt like 2 flats.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Rode the fresh cut re-route on the orange/green yesterday. Once packed down, should be nice. It was a painful surprise after doing the big loop CCW, went from a fast avg speed to what felt like 2 flats.

:) It feels like two flats after only riding 1/2 mile too.

The current TWC forecast for the 11/29/14 night ride looks excellent. Meet near the trailhead. Wheels out at 6:00 pm, or maybe 6:15. Casual conversational pace around the inner loops. Helmet and light required.
The WSF staff allows JORBA members and other WSF trail volunteers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot for this ride. Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.

The Wharton Forest staff will be hosting mtb beginner paced morning rides starting at 10:30 am on 12/6/14 and 1/1/15. Check the Parks & Forests events calendar for more information.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/calendar/index.html

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions