WSF 2013/2014 Season JORBA Rides & Work

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
JORBA-Wharton 2013/2014 Season Night Rides and Trail work Schedule and WSF Batsto area MTB Trail map attached.
The first Saturday night ride is October 26 2013, followed by the Thanksgiving weekend night ride on November 30 2013. :) The first scheduled trail work day is Saturday October 12 2013.

We'll continue to post the summertime ad hoc trail work days, in response to storm damage and front office requests, as the weather allows. We're also hoping to deploy a dozen new marker posts on the PBT, finish trimming back the west side of the FireTower Trail, and if Mount-Sandy Ridge Road dries up a little more this summer, be able to drive truck and trailer back there to mow the northeast side of the PBT.

Attachments

• JORBA_WSF_TM2013-2014.pdf
    160.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Several miles, out 'n back, were mowed on the east side of the PBT. (If you've ridden there recently, you prob'ly know that section of overgrown huckleberries. :) ) Depending on weather and motivation, might be planting some marker posts in that section on Sunday.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
August 10

Depending on the weather, or maybe completely ignoring it, a couple of us will be meeting for some ad hoc trail work on Saturday 8/10/13 7:30am in the Batsto lot. We'll be driving back to the northeast corner of the Penn Branch Trail with mower, clippers, etc..
There is extravroom in the truck, or if you want to take the fast way back there and bike, we should be back there in the NE corner and working around 8:15.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks to Pibbles, today's planned mowing milage was doubled. :) The entire northeast corner of the the PBT was mowed, clipped and made fast/enjoyable after some 7+ hours (including the 4x4 time to get back there) of trail work.
The wasp attacks were not planned for, nor appreciated. :cry:

Davesnhere

Awesome Job on the trails!!! I got in a 22 miler today...cleared about 8 blowdowns off the trails (green/white/orange/Hell. all of em')..also cleared a tree that musta been hit by lightning yesterday,off the green trail, it looked like it exploded! There was tree shrapnel scattered in a 100 foot radius! Again, Great job guys!!!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the storm cleanup! Had been planning to ride and storm clean there tonight, now I can plan on just riding. woop woop! :D

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Clipped back the *car wash* on the NW corner of the PBT today. Prob'ly be riding the PBT tomorrow to see how much faster the trail is. :)
Contrary to most years, the north section of the PBT is open and fast now, in the fall, while we wait for the preventative burn that is due this winter on the south section.

Davesnhere

Kurt, I rode my new favorite loop (BatJemima) today, that incorporates the orange to Jemima Mt. back to orange, then to blue and white...Trails are extremely Fast! Lovin' the belt-drive single speed (I swear it was built just for the Batsto Trails)! Can't wait for the night rides to start up again! See you then, if not sooner!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
10/12/13 Trail Work

..Can't wait for the night rides to start up again! See you then, if not sooner!

Yeah! Still looking for my legs. Hope to find them before the first scheduled night ride. woopwoop

10/12/13 Trail Work
The current 10/12/13 TWC forecast for 08037 does not look promising. Will post an update Friday morning as to whether or weather not we'll be out there for TM.

SJMTBRick

Yeah! Still looking for my legs. Hope to find them before the first scheduled night ride. woopwoop

I think someone found them before you did and made them stronger and faster!! :rofl:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 321

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
10/12/13 trail work cancelled

10/12/13 Trail Work CANCELLED
Tomorrow's WSF trail work is cancelled. The current TWC forecast for tomorrow morning is showers.

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Country Living & 10/26/13 Night Ride

Just a heads up that the Batsto Village Country Living Fair is today, 10/20/13. Batsto will very crowded, with overflow parking in the fields.

The first night ride of the season is next Saturday 10/26/13.
The current TWC forecast for the ride looks good. Meet near the trail head. Wheels out at 6:00 pm (or maybe even 6:15) :). Sunset is at 6:04. We'll be riding the inner loop trails and be back at the parking lot before 9:00.

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers.The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

Davesnhere

Awesome Nite Ride, was great to get out…Thanks Kurt! Hope to beat this sinus thing and get back to 100% ASAP!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Awesome Nite Ride, was great to get out…Thanks Kurt! Hope to beat this sinus thing and get back to 100% ASAP!

Yeah! Its always a fun group that shows up for this ride. :D The next ride is the Saturday after Thanksgiving 11/30/13.

The next trail work day is Saturday November 9.
We'll be meeting at 9:00 near the trail head in the Batsto Village Visitor Center parking lot. The current plan is to walk the first mile of the west side for some trail tread repair, firming up the loose spots, doing some maintenance on the drainage dips to prevent more loose spots from forming, and trimming back the brush as we move along. Quitting time before 12:30. And if there is interest, maybe a short easy spin around the inner trails after.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks!

Thanks to Moray42 and SJMTBRick, we cleared out some drainage nicks and built up the tread by the trailhead. Then we rode back some miles to the NE side of the PBT, chopped out a blowdown and dragged another blowdown off the trail. Stories that one or both of the Ricks 'rasseled a bear on the ride back are unsubstantiated at this time. :D

On the drive home, I noticed a lot of activity at the hunting clubs in my neighborhood, which reminds me to recommend that all stay out of the woods during the six day shotgun season, December 9 -14 and "last chance deer shotgun day" Wednesday December 18. I also recommend staying out of the WSF on Sunday December 8 while all the hunters are prepping and marking their killing areas.

theranch

Thanks to Moray42 and SJMTBRick, we cleared out some drainage nicks and built up the tread by the trailhead. Then we rode back some miles to the NE side of the PBT, chopped out a blowdown and dragged another blowdown off the trail. Stories that one or both of the Ricks 'rasseled a bear on the ride back are unsubstantiated at this time. :D

On the drive home, I noticed a lot of activity at the hunting clubs in my neighborhood, which reminds me to recommend that all stay out of the woods during the six day shotgun season, December 9 -14 and "last chance deer shotgun day" Wednesday December 18. I also recommend staying out of the WSF on Sunday December 8 while all the hunters are prepping and marking their killing areas.

Wish I could have made that one but was out doing some repairs in the local trails. Next time! Wow...bear 'rasseling, crazy.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions