World Cup

echappy

I feel for that keeper worst game of his life just gave the best team 2 goals no chance they could win with play like that
Ramos certainly didnt make it easy to come back. Cynical dirt-bag of the first order. That number he pulled on Salah looked innocent on first glance (got the ball, incidental contact on leg), but upon second viewing from a different angle, you can see that he was tugging Salah's arm.

Egypt had a pretty good shot of making it to the round of 16; not so sure now

BPaze

Ramos certainly didnt make it easy to come back. Cynical dirt-bag of the first order. That number he pulled on Salah looked innocent on first glance (got the ball, incidental contact on leg), but upon second viewing from a different angle, you can see that he was tugging Salah's arm.

Egypt had a pretty good shot of making it to the round of 16; not so sure now

I agree that play was beyond dirty he should be suspended for the WC

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel for that keeper worst game of his life just gave the best team 2 goals no chance they could win with play like that

Yeah that's a bummer. He was really good overall, but he just had two horrendous mistakes that cost them the game. Hard to say, but I think Madrid still win if those two goals didn't happen and Salah didn't get hurt.

That number he pulled on Salah looked innocent on first glance (got the ball, incidental contact on leg), but upon second viewing from a different angle, you can see that he was tugging Salah's arm.

I don't know, I don't think I really fault Ramos much on that one. Players are always tugging arms and jersey's going into challenges like that. Their arms were wrapped up and when Ramos went down he pulled Salah down with him. That shit happens all the time, the guy just landed awkwardly and got hurt. Totally sucks, but it happens. I'm more offended by Ramos acting like his eye was gouged out later in the game when somebody touched his face.

And I still think Zidane's goal was better.

qclabrat

Go Peru!!!
yeah, know nothing about pro soccer, though I was the head coach for my daughter's pre-teen teams
Still no clue about the rules and don't plan to contribute here much, sorry
like the masses, I do enjoy the 10-12 matches I end up watching every 4 years

1527444814691.png

echappy

I've been following fútbol for some times, first as a USMNT supporter, but nothing too seriously until after 2014. While trying to learn more about the background of the sport, I stumbled upon a channel on youtube that has become my daily source of fútbol knowledge. Well, they did a segment on Peru today.

also, they referred to this gem of a free kick

qclabrat

I've been following fútbol for some times, first as a USMNT supporter, but nothing too seriously until after 2014. While trying to learn more about the background of the sport, I stumbled upon a channel on youtube that has become my daily source of fútbol knowledge. Well, they did a segment on Peru today.

also, they referred to this gem of a free kick

wow, that's some drama
thanks for the history lesson

echappy

in case you guys missed it. Josh Sargent's goal against Bolivia.

Kid is too young to play professionally (for now, though signed a pro contract with Werder Bremen), and scores an international goal for the senior team. That first touch; what Gyasi Zardes wouldn't give to have such a silky first touch

echappy

For those of you who missed the meaningless friendly (that may be redundant) against France, Green scored another cracking goal, nutmegging Sidibe and beating Lloris to the latter's near post.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Holy shit! Portugal v Spain was friggen amazing!
2551D639-10EB-4E56-87BC-965B40896C9C.jpeg

One of the best matches I’ve seen all year! When ya don’t have a dog in the fight, you can see it for what it is... outstanding soccer. Cuz I sill ain’t call’n it Football.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy shit! Portugal v Spain was friggen amazing!

Yeah, very entertaining. I didn't get a lot accomplished this afternoon. I called my dad to tell him to just watch the ends of the earlier games and to watch Portugal vs Spain. Then I texted my mom and told her if she doesn't want to be deaf tomorrow, she should find something else to do than watch soccer with my dad. He gets kind of loud.

This is from yesterday, but this is my WFH setup:
9EF1AF3E-DF3E-4EF7-BD26-085CE69BFE12.jpeg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Watching WWE (umm Germany v Mexico) and I can't help getting the feeling that the officials are going to continue to let the hand to hand combat continue until something so egregious happens that they'll be forced to call it... Probably gonna impact the result.

Edit: the yellow card was out of total frustration. Something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow. That game might be the absolute worst example of how to finish in front of goal. England are so lucky to have pulled out three points here. How many times did the ball land right at their feet in front of goal only to have it completely flubbed?

Has @elzoller emerged from a massive hangover yet after that killer win for Mexico?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Ho
Wow. That game might be the absolute worst example of how to finish in front of goal. England are so lucky to have pulled out three points here. How many times did the ball land right at their feet in front of goal only to have it completely flubbed?

Has @elzoller emerged from a massive hangover yet after that killer win for Mexico?

Holy crap! No idea this thread was “alive”

I’ve emerged. Crazy win. Totally unexpected for me. Call me a hater or a realist or whatever. Never agreed with Osorio’s tactics and not a fan of Chicharito’s play with the national team. This team style doesn’t fit chicharitos style. So. ....
I had predicted Mexico wasn’t advancing because of the latest games I’ve seen and not believing in Osorio. (So my pools are maybe fucked now). Granted, this is probably the best generation of players the Tri has had since 86 or 94.

Historically , Mexico does well against “strong” team a but fails with the “easy” teams. Get me to the second round in first place and perhaps I’ll admit I like Osorio’s Kool-Aid. But if they don’t go past 2nd round then it is the same as the last 6 world Cups. So literally.... any coach can do that.

But....I will keep the dream alive.

Best game so far Spain-Portugal. Ronaldo is a beast. He always has been cut to do well under pressure, unlike Messi. Of course I rather have Ronaldo than Messi on my team. Perhaps even Zlatan. (Shame he is not playing)

Fun fact. Ronaldo has missed 44 free kicks In world cups. He scored his 45th! And boy was it a beauty and so important.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Surely this World Cup is on track now for most own goals ever. Geez.

And how about that crazy "substitution" goal?

Also, I just read that the yellow card accumulation doesn't get reset until after the quarterfinals. The accumulation rule in general is ridiculous, but expecting players to go five games without getting two yellow cards is absolutely crazy. It's gonna be interesting to see how many high profile players miss their quarter or semifinal matches. After just one game so many players got silly yellow cards. I'm sure we discussed this last time, but F this rule.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Surely this World Cup is on track now for most own goals ever. Geez.

And how about that crazy "substitution" goal?

Also, I just read that the yellow card accumulation doesn't get reset until after the quarterfinals. The accumulation rule in general is ridiculous, but expecting players to go five games without getting two yellow cards is absolutely crazy. It's gonna be interesting to see how many high profile players miss their quarter or semifinal matches. After just one game so many players got silly yellow cards. I'm sure we discussed this last time, but F this rule.

Couldn’t agree more. The officials in the Mexico v Germany game for example let it devolve into just shy of a street fight and then went yellow card happy over Bull shit. So the ref makes a ridiculous call, player bitches about the call and he immediately gets a yellow card? Grow a friggen pair.

Top Bottom