World Cup DH back this weekend!

oobaa47

Bruni looked like the bridge of his nose was bloodied up, along with two soon-to-be black eyes. Some of those crashes were sick...... What about one non-crash, the winner doing a nose manual/bonk at full speed near the finish line. How the hell did he hold on to it?!?!?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Alright so the cats out of the bag so let's rap. Pierron honestly just looks a step ahead of everyone. Again. That Commencal looks light as a feather and he sails over the rocks better than anyone. Its honestly just a pleasure to watch him ride. The final jump he missed where he nearly went HOH was wild but besides that he looked in control and just plain faster.

Bruni looked great again. Great rebound and result considering his starting time. Minnaar nearly had an epic career comeback and Warner's scream made it even more epic. He knew there was a chance we could be listening to that for 20 years. So close to #22. Cap tipped.

Brosnan looked amazing and I think he'd be an all time champion in any other era. So consistent and so smooth. I don't know how many 2nd place finishes he has the past few years but it's gotta be a few. I met him last summer in mont st. Anne and he was as friendly and down to earth as you'd think.

Gwin - egad. That was scary. I didnt think he was getting up. WTF is going on with these bikes of his? And maybe my hopes were too high coming into 2019 but these Americans are a let down. Shaw should be on or near the podium every race -- hes at the level of a Danny hart or finn illes but can't put it together. Maybe hes not fully healed yet. Charlie Harrison, Gee, Neko - man come on guys.

Overall super enjoyable especially since we nearly had a mudfest. Fingers crossed gwin is healthy for Leogang!

mtbiker87

I dont think Luca is 100% just yet, and well...Yolanda ? That could be a bit of distraction ya think ?? Harrison needs a bit more experience to consistently run with the big dogs. Neko...he's one of the my favorites, but consistency has never been his strong suit. If he could put a few podiums,or at least top tens together in a row, i think he could sustain the momentum. Dakota Norton is the dude stepping it up. Here's to hoping he can keep those top 10s , top 20s coming ! Id like to see what Mitch Ropleto could do on top team as well.

Ian F

Luca and Neff were an item last year when he was putting in those great qualifying runs, so I don't think that's it. He's still really young, so give him some time.

I think Neko likes beer a little too much. Yeah - Peaty got away with it back in the day, but didn't really start winning a lot until he put the pints down and started taking things more seriously. Plus, I've heard some inside "back in the day" rumors that Peaty wasn't quite the big drinker he's made out to be. And I get the impression the Windrock bike park in TN and race series Neko helps run also distract him from training like one needs to race at the podium level consistently.

In other news - the US had a female winner in the junior ranks, although mainly because Valli Holl crashed (and still finished 2nd). Hopefully she can continue to improve.

Gwin… damn... just a little off line, but like all of the best racers, he's not looking at his tires, but way ahead. Cathro has a plausible theory:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Leogang this weekend! Pierron won last year but gwin was right with him. Shaw qualified first and was right with pierron when he crashed. Norton was just off the podium last year so I think he'll be hungry. Not sure if he's ever been top 5 in a world cup but this will be his shot.

This is leogang so fingers crossed for gwin to do something amazing again.

serviceguy

Luca and Neff were an item last year when he was putting in those great qualifying runs, so I don't think that's it. He's still really young, so give him some time.

I think Neko likes beer a little too much. Yeah - Peaty got away with it back in the day, but didn't really start winning a lot until he put the pints down and started taking things more seriously. Plus, I've heard some inside "back in the day" rumors that Peaty wasn't quite the big drinker he's made out to be. And I get the impression the Windrock bike park in TN and race series Neko helps run also distract him from training like one needs to race at the podium level consistently.

In other news - the US had a female winner in the junior ranks, although mainly because Valli Holl crashed (and still finished 2nd). Hopefully she can continue to improve.

Gwin… damn... just a little off line, but like all of the best racers, he's not looking at his tires, but way ahead. Cathro has a plausible theory:

From now on Aaron 'Ragdoll' Gwin...that was scary!

P.S. I like this Cathro guy even though I understand 50% of what he says...

Ian F

From now on Aaron 'Ragdoll' Gwin...that was scary!

P.S. I like this Cathro guy even though I understand 50% of what he says...

He's from Scotland. By Scottish standards, his accent is barely there at all.

I suppose it comes from decades of watching British shows on PBS (and later BBC America), but I rarely have trouble with UK accents. I suppose being from Georgia and having a bit of an accent myself doesn't hurt.

serviceguy

He's from Scotland. By Scottish standards, his accent is barely there at all.

I suppose it comes from decades of watching British shows on PBS (and later BBC America), but I rarely have trouble with UK accents. I suppose being from Georgia and having a bit of an accent myself doesn't hurt.
I am married to a british woman, but she's from the south west. Anything north of Bristol is filed under "he/she's from up north" and dismissed.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Waiting until tomorrow to post a leogang write up. Exciting race. Busy weekend so let's give everyone through tonight to watch it on red bull.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Leogang race commentary ie SPOILERS

Bruni, Pierron, Bruni, Pierron... I'm sensing a pattern. These French riders are just incredible and along with Vergier it was damn close to seeing an all French top 3 at Leogang. Only twice now since the beginning of 2018 has a rider not named Bruni, Pierron or Vergier won a WC (gwin and maes). Good lord.

So the man in stripes wins again. 2nd this year and 4th the last 12 months counting world champs. I admit I root for the Americans and some other riders before Loic, but damn when he's on he's almost unbeatable. With three world championships by age 24, Bruni is clearly a big race guy and an all time talent.

Brosnan top 3 again. Man this guy is just so good. He probably hates hearing the word "consistent" by now so I'll refer to him in a different way: one of the greatest downhillers ever. 30-something WC podiums the past 6 years, and on the overall podium every year. That's unmatched at a time when the competition is by far the best ever. The 5'6" aussie remains just ahead of Bruni in first for the overall.

Gwin doesn't look bad but just looks a step slower than the best right now. At Maribor I remember the odd feeling of seeing him roll in at 4th of 5th and rob Warner knew it too. We're used to seeing him win or mechanical for years and so it's weird seeing him so human now. Still a big win to be back on the podium.

Good showing by both Luca shaw and Charlie Harrison. They sat atop the hot seat for a while and both take a nice step back toward the podium they belong on. Along with Gwin we have 3 Americans in the top 10 for the first time since Losinj early last year.

And finally great seeing Minnaar officially back among the best. Near win last week, and now first qualifying and 2nd place at leogang. Maybe not quite the minnaar of old but damn close and clearly a threat to win any race right now. Even as the average winner gets younger, I don't see a reason he can't remain competitive into his 40s. Vallnord next (july 6) as we finally get a 2019 race with both DH and XC!

Ian F

On the women's side, it was cool to see Hannah win again, although it would have been better if Atherton hadn't crashed. Apparently, the spot where Rachel went down claimed a few others as well.

Nina Hoffman has all the makings of becoming the first woman member of the Syndicate.

Definitely cool to see Minnaar back near the top.

I'm really glad to see the points race so tight (it's tight over on the XC side as well). If it keeps up like this, the Snowshoe finals will be awesome to watch. I may try to stay an extra night and go home on Monday since the after-party should be epic.

Don't forget - on combined events, the DH is on Sat. :cool:

serviceguy

I'm sold on the denim destroyer, best privateer according to Wyn Masters. Not really Italian (name is Johannes Von Klebelsberghe and he's from Sud Tirolo, generally they don't 'feel' Italian), but I guess beggars can't be choosers...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
. I may try to stay an extra night and go home on Monday since the after-party should be epic.

Don't forget - on combined events, the DH is on Sat. :cool:

This is actually why my son and I are headed back to mont st Anne this summer instead of snowshoe. Well 1 its world champs but to your point I had to leave late morning Sunday last year and missed the elite XC races. MSA is on Labor day so I may book the hotel for Sunday night too so I can watch it all and not miss work.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm sold on the denim destroyer, best privateer according to Wyn Masters. Not really Italian (name is Johannes Von Klebelsberghe and he's from Sud Tirolo, generally they don't 'feel' Italian), but I guess beggars can't be choosers...

Lol. Well its an autonomous and German speaking region, but he puts the Italian flag in his profile so I think we're safe in calling him italian.

He's no privateer though, he's on mondraker right?

serviceguy

Lol. Well its an autonomous and German speaking region, but he puts the Italian flag in his profile so I think we're safe in calling him italian.

He's no privateer though, he's on mondraker right?
Apparently he manages a restaurant, he was driving back to work soon after the race, Wyn had to contact him over the phone to tell him he had won the prize...he said he had to carry his phone in his pocket during the race in case he got a call from work...

mtbiker87

I think it depends on your definition of "privateer". Nina Hoffman is sort of the same, she's on SC/Juliana , but not on a " team ". Even if these guys are getting a deal on frames, and maybe parts, its a long way from being on a factory ride. Back in my karting days, i was a top ten runner in regional series ( think us national type series, like pro GRT maybe) and recieved factory support for chassis, and loaner engines from a champion builder, but supported the rest of my opperation myself. While i had set up support from the factory team if needed, and a deal on chassis, the rest was up to me. I was my own mech, truck driver, travel agent, PR guy, all while working a regular job to pay for it. Same as the " Denim Destroyer ", Nina Hoffman, and many others trying to live thier dream. So yeah...id call that a privateer.

Ian F

This is actually why my son and I are headed back to mont st Anne this summer instead of snowshoe. Well 1 its world champs but to your point I had to leave late morning Sunday last year and missed the elite XC races. MSA is on Labor day so I may book the hotel for Sunday night too so I can watch it all and not miss work.

I definitely want to get to MSA one of these years, but Snowshoe is a venue I at least know a bit (raced there back in 01, 02 & 03) and it "should" be closer to home - assuming I'm still not here in NH come Sept.

IIRC, the Demin Destroyer was running an Italian flag champion's sleeve - which I'm fairly certain you have to be an Italian national to win and wear. Even if he does have a Germanic name.

Hoffman really did seem taken aback by getting the additional Euros from Wyn. That's really cool of him.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I definitely want to get to MSA one of these years, but Snowshoe is a venue I at least know a bit (raced there back in 01, 02 & 03) and it "should" be closer to home - assuming I'm still not here in NH come Sept.

The two venues are exactly the same distance for me in northern NJ. I thought we'd be headed to WV and when I asked my son he said he wanted to go back to MSA because it's like driving to Europe. Also some beautiful waterfalls and hikes btw. Stayed right at the host hotel and it wasn't too pricey.

IIRC, the Demin Destroyer was running an Italian flag champion's sleeve - which I'm fairly certain you have to be an Italian national to win and wear. Even if he does have a Germanic name./QUOTE]

Same as kerschbaumer on the XC side. I heard that name and saw the Italian natl champion jersey and was like wha?

Top Bottom