Woods Hollow MTB Race

SmooveP

So, it looks like the end of the road for this race. I got this email from the organizer today:

"Dear Participant: Thank you for competing in this year’s Woods Hollow Mountain Bike Race. I hope that you enjoyed the event. Results for the race can be found at the following link: https://my3.raceresult.com/111301/?lang=en . Video of you crossing the finish line will also be available at that link. It should be up within a few days.

Some of you may have heard that this year might be the last year of the race. This may unfortunately be the case. I was informed by my supervisor a few weeks ago that it was decided that this would be the last year of the race. I was hopeful that I could change their minds and the race would continue, but I am not sure if my efforts will be successful. It might be helpful if you voiced your support for the race, and shared your concerns that the race will no longer be held. If you would like to know who to contact, I would be happy to provide you with the information.

I wanted to thank you again for helping to make this year’s race a success, even with the muddy conditions. I also want to thank everyone who has participated in the Woods Hollow since the first race in 1995. I have enjoyed organizing the race the last 14 years, and hopefully the race will continue and I will see you next year.

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris Davino
Sports & Fitness Division
805 Newman Springs Road
Lincroft, NJ 07738-1695
(732) 542-1642 ext. 26
(732) 542-3678 (fax)"

I know it's not a "real" MTB race (whatever that means), but I'll be sad to see it go. I've done it like 20 times and it's always been well-run and fun. Plus, it's close and I'm done before lunch. I've asked Chris for points of contact we can send emails to to beg them to keep it going. I'll post up again if he gets back to me.

Karate Monkey

Pfeh. Monmouth County barely tolerates bicycles, let alone events for them. If you were wondering why they don't have any NICA events, well, it's because the Parks Dept won't have them.

SmooveP

Pfeh. Monmouth County barely tolerates bicycles, let alone events for them. If you were wondering why they don't have any NICA events, well, it's because the Parks Dept won't have them.
Really? They allow mountain biking at almost every park. As for MTB events, do other park systems (county, state, local or otherwise) run any races? I can't comment on the NICA issue because I'm not up on what's going on with that.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
We can write in and show our support. Truthfully there were more participants at this race than any H2H race I attended this year and the vibe was great. I wonder why they would cancel it? Turnout has been really good the last four years that I have done it.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
That's a shame, it was our first time there and all my kids were looking forward to going back. Will voice some support for sure
imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

Karate Monkey

Really? They allow mountain biking at almost every park. As for MTB events, do other park systems (county, state, local or otherwise) run any races? I can't comment on the NICA issue because I'm not up on what's going on with that.

Stirring the pot, here, but I'm not talking about running events, I'm taking about allowing them.

RobW

Maybe NICA doesn’t want to participate on MoCo trails as they aren’t up to standards or maintained as well as others. Just a thought

Hot Action

I’m heartbroken this race may end, this had been a special day of racing for my family for the last few years.

Sean from Bike Hub has done a great job hosting the 1 mile kids race and has been extremely generous with his bike give aways to the kids.

The adult course is always fun with punchy climbs, singletrack and fire roads that allowed for safe passes.

The turn out has been sizable but perhaps not enough? I will also reach out to the freeholders and Mon County Parks

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
@David Taylor Really? Wow. What were the final numbers as I only see around 90 in the results including kids? Stewart had well over 300 racers and you were there. Am I missing something here?
Alright, don’t know actual numbers but considering only three classes and kids came with parents the paved lot and grass field were completely full. Just saying the turnout is suprisingly large considering it was raining all morning. 90 was how many finished it. I wonder how many preregged and didn’t show on account of the rain. That wasn’t meant to be a knock to h2h btw but more to the fact that this race is basically word of mouth. @Kirt .

Hot Action

I agree that the rain kept many away. Between the 1 mile kids course and the beginner race which older kids have entered and loved, this was a true family event which is rare and will be missed.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How much was reg for this event, I couldn't find the fee associated with race.

mfennell

It was $25, $30 in person.

I suggested to Chris that moving it up in the year might boost turnout. I think the (typical) colder weather turns people away. Obviously the rain this past w/e didn't help. It used to be in August, they got feedback to move it later, and I think they overshot. It turns out there are conflicts with other Fall events in the MoCo parks but it could be moved up a couple weeks.

xc62701

Definitely mail in your thoughts. Thisis the lonhest running MTB race in NJ. Super fun event with a lot of support.
It's a close second. The Bulldog Rump has been going on for 23 years.

Nope looks like you're right. The Rump's first year was in 1996.

SmooveP

It's not epic or badass, but I race against a bunch of my buds every year, and everyone gets a t-shirt. And some lucky kid gets a new bike thanks to the Bicycle Hub. I'll miss it if it goes away.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
$25-$30 probably doesn't cover cost of event, especially with only about 100 people registering. Chip scoring, T-shirt, Paid for Trophies...this all adds up. They would probably have to raise fee to about $40-$50, which may deter just-for -fun racers.
They could cut costs. No T-shirt, volunteers can make trophies, sight judge scoring, free hugs. Hey, I just described MTBNJ SHORT TRACK.

Top Bottom