Women's Product Reviews

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So... I recently got a hold of some nice Club Ride items and was planning on doing a roundup on them once I got to wear them a bit because I know how hard it is to find info on women's stuff since there is so little available in stores to try on right away. I know there's a product review thread somewhere else on MTBNJ, but I think it would be really good to have a ladies-only product review page without a bunch of other stuff thrown in. Would anyone be interested in helping me out by putting up their reviews of MTB clothing and gear? I would want to include price and pics and measurements and all that jazz to really make it invaluable to other ladies looking at these items. I saw this roundup (slightly old article) on Pinkbike but this is kind of what I'm aiming to do.

EmilyH

yes, really nice idea, Joy! To be honest, I don't wear too much that is specific to mountain biking, but this is also because I think finding baggy shorts that fit my body is HARD and Lycra is just easier. I am especially looking for some knee pads that will STAY UP if anyone has any suggestions (I got the g form ones last year, and I think I should have gotten a size bigger than I did, but even so, I don't know that I want to invest more in another pair or try something different)

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To be honest, I don't wear too much that is specific to mountain biking

Doesn't have to be mountain bike specific! There's tons of stuff I use that's not really marketed for mountain biking but I still use them. Also, I think many of us are multi sporters, so really, any athletic gear review would be great!

mstyer

I can contribute a few quick notes.

Lazer helmets have by far the best retention system for ponytail clearance. They have a big U notch in the back that just plops on your head with no threading of the hair through straps required. I think they typically fit a more oval shaped head.

I've also recently picked up a pair of Thule Vital hydration packs in the 3L and 8L size. Their shoulders straps are contoured well for chest clearance and the waist strap has wings that sit comfortably on my hip bones. The packs are situated to carry the load low so they balance well. They also have this cool magnetic strip on the hose that's a couple inches long so it easily attaches whenever you let it swing back down.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have several pieces to review but I'm going to start with the items that I've worn the most first.

Club Ride Sprint Hoodie:

Sizes: XS-XL
Colors: Blue, Gray, Olive
MSRP: $89.95
I Purchased: Size Small, Gray
My Rating: A

Untitled-1.jpg

I LOVE THIS PIECE! In fact, I think most of the ladies who got this piece love it too! (We had it customized for the team.)

It keeps me relatively warm even tho it's not fleece lined or anything. Casual enough to wear off the ride, but wicking material so I can wear it on a ride, too. Small side pocket which is good enough for maybe car keys or some cash (not large enough for a phone... but the weight of that would be awkward on a ride). Mesh panel across the back to under the arm pits. Thumbholes (which I love). A large hood that's usable (which sounds weird, but ever have a hood that doesn't quite cut it? either your head isn't totally covered or you feel like you need to raise your shoulders up to make it work). I'm usually a size Small (dress size 4, 34B) and that's what I went with here. There's enough room where I can layer something under it, but not so baggy that it looks like I'm wearing someone else's clothes.

Best part? It long. I'm not talking tunic length or anything. But it's long enough in both the torso and arms that if I'm bent over in a riding position, there's no butt crack to worry about, and there's enough length to still use the thumbholes and not have circulation cut off!

*** I'll be adding garment measurements later. What am I missing from the review? Need more info?

Last edited:

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
https://shredly.com Now that I’m wearing shorts again I’m reminded how how I like my Shredlys. They have a very similar look and feel than the CR baggies but I feel they fit me in the waist better. I tend to be inbetween sizes so I size up with the shorts.....but I like my baggies baggy.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
so i thought i'd crowd source here...

so i've been going thru my bike shorts, trying to clean the lot out... replace what needs to be replaced and just getting rid of shorts i just don't wear any more.

so the brands i have are Fox, Shredly, Club Ride and Zoic... there's pluses and minuses with each but none are exactly perfect:

Fox (mostly Ripley shorts): slimmest fitting, fit the best for my "boy-shape" frame. (i don't have much in the way of hips or thighs) but the pockets suck. one little zip pocket in the back that barely fits my keys (which is exactly the worst place i want my keys if i fall) and two hand pockets which are useful how?

Shredly: love the colorful prints! i'm in between sizes but the larger size gives me some room in case i eat a big lunch or something. ;) downside is only one cargo pocket on the side which only has a snap closure... so it makes me nervous putting anything in there when i go to mountain creek (less so when i'm just cross country riding). and a pocket on only one side leaves me feeling lop sided.

Club Ride: i found these to be the baggiest ones. i tried a couple of styles and went with the Savvy. they're pretty big in the legs but better in the waist/hips for me than their ventura shorts. one ok zippered pocket but awkward if i put my phone in there.

Zoic (Navaeh shorts): also baggy for me but the best in terms of pockets... like 4 zippered pockets! woo hoo! but overall, kind of bland with style. (granted i have plain gray ones).

so what do you guys wear/recommend? i like colorful and fun. i need good (zippered) pockets. and i prefer a slightly slimmer baggy short (if that makes sense) because i have such a straight shape. kind of wondering if i could get away with XS in men's shorts.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Joy - I will contribute! While it won’t help you, because my fit concerns are essentially the opposite of yours, it may help others. I am curvy and tall. Let me write up my short, chamois and shirt reviews from my last 8 years of trial and error. Brands I have tried: Fox, Maloja, Norrøna, Zoic, Terry, CR.

EmilyH

Thanks so much, @MissJR ! @2Julianas, I was just going to comment to ask this question on shorts. Ideas for people who are curvy?? (I am not tall, but like a size six in my natural waist and size 10/12 in the hip, so every time I have tried getting shorts and adjusting the waist so it fits, they look all bunchy!) Then I give up and wear spandex. My friend just got some Shredlys, and they are SO COOL looking.

Robin

I have big hips...and big thighs relative to my waist size. I'm relatively new to the "baggie" scene - so always looking for suggestions.

To add onto Joy's post - I bought the FOX Ripley's in a size Medium using my IMBA discount last year (so they were cheap). I'm not happy with the fit - for me. While the waist fits me, the legs are straight. Standing it's not the end of the world but on the bike it is not flattering. As Joy mentioned, there is some lame pocket on the waist that might hold a key. The liner is ok - the waist is uber low but the chamois is one of the most comfortable ones I own.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m the opposite too . Big hips and thighs compared to my waist. With that said my Shredlys are my fav! Because of the thigh snap pocket. I love that pocket. I explore a lot so it’s convinient for my phone . Club ride may be the most comfortable but I think their pocket options stink. Zoic is a strong 2nd or 3rd. For DH I prefer the thigh pockets for my lift ticket.

EmilyH

oh good to know! I can actually add to Robin's post as well. I bought (and returned) Fox Lynx shorts in the plum color, size large (these). They fit pretty well overall (some bunching at the waist, but not TERRIBLE), and I thought the chamois was comfortable. But, I convinced myself that if I was going to pay however much for those shorts, should I really settle for shorts that didn't have a perfect fit? Surely, there must be something better out there. I have also thought about ordering a variety of brands to try on and returning what I didn't like.

Robin

Following up on this - have some Club Ride tops and very happy. Based on Joy's post, I ordered two pairs of shorts (size M) - Passage and Ventura. I only tried them on, with chamois, and I must say, they are flattering for my figure and very comfy. The length and bagginess are perfect but I will have to see about fitting over my DH padded shorts and pocket (big enough to hold phone). So far I'm happy!

I have Shredly on my "wishlist" as I'm slowly replacing old baggies and kits.

Top Bottom