WMA Trailhead Pipe

Stocky

Everything north of Weldon road is in great shape (pine swamp, cascade, orange, green, blue). even the pipe at the entrance to the WMA was manageable. 70, sunny, and dry.

Bow Hunting season has started so wear some orange.
I removed debris from the pipe last Thursday . It's still pretty muddy on one side .... a few more properly placed logs will do the trick .

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I removed debris from the pipe last Thursday . It's still pretty muddy on one side .... a few more properly placed logs will do the trick .

We're gonna' have to start calling that trail head into the WMA "Stocky's Obsession"...

crash

maybe laying down some weather treated plywood boards. with cross supports underneath, creating a slight ramp on both sides would help. staple on some chicken wire for traction.

Stocky

maybe laying down some weather treated plywood boards. with cross supports underneath, creating a slight ramp on both sides would help. staple on some chicken wire for traction.

Crash , there are the remnants of a previous effort lying in the woods just to the left of the area .
Everything ( building / construction ) at Mahlon especially in the WMA needs proper approval .

maybe laying down some weather treated plywood boards. with cross supports underneath...
I saw the former bridge tossed aside, but the first thing I thought when I looked at it was teeter-totter. I know, I know, it's a pipe dream, but it is a pipe.

Stocky

I saw the former bridge tossed aside, but the first thing I thought when I looked at it was teeter-totter. I know, I know, it's a pipe dream, but it is a pipe.

Andy , I've actually always thought if it just rested on the pipe it would teeter on it's own . if it's long enough it would just span the entire area on both sides of the pipe.

crash

I have seen the remnants you mentioned. That was too flimsy.
But if any construction requires approval, that sounds seriously bureaucratic.
Maybe just a little dirt work with a back country skiing, folding, metal Avalanche shovel
could get the job done. I am sure the hunters dress up their blinds or spotting areas a bit, so there is a precedence.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Guys check the boundaries and if it is within the County Park as opposed to the DEP WMA, we might be able to get something done.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Guys check the boundaries and if it is within the County Park as opposed to the DEP WMA, we might be able to get something done.

Well, I guess it depends on map interpretation. Here is the area from the MDR map. If the intended boundary is the rail bed, it is in WMA. However, looking at this, one could say it is in MDR...after all, there are sections of the rail bed that are in state land...

I dunno', Steve, I say see if we can set it up with the park; if they say "that's not MDR", well, we have our answer.

'Too close to call for me....

Attachments

• wmaJunc.JPG
    wmaJunc.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 306

rlb

If someone can get me a GPS coordinate of this location (or let me know what trail intersection it is in Fogerson's map clip) I can do a little research. I might be able to determine where it's officially located.

I smell a move of these posts, we're getting off the conditions topic again.

crash

jurisdiction matters. I say do a fly by, try a little bit out, and take it from there, then maybe press the envelope. If you hear this in your ipod, (Air Boss Johnson: "Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.") Then maybe we'll get taken out back to the trail management woodshed...I don't think the hunters will complain. They'll appreciate the effort.

I'm trying to think of an example in this world where people get pissed, upset, indignant, wh'er when you improve the conditions. I'm sure there are many, so please don't reply - just sayin' Hey you durn kids, quit pickin' up that litter and beautifying the neighborhood. Still rooting for a teeter-totter.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
It isn't about pissing a user group off...it is all about obeying the rules to make sure access doesn't get compromised (i.e. making sure we don't piss off the folks who control access). Or, causing angina for the guys who've built a good relationship with the park folks (like Shaggz 'n Jorba folk)...

"Illegal" trail work has been an issue at MDR ever since I showed up around here and it still continues today. If it wasn't for the scrambling/efforts/heroics of a few folks out there in mtbnj-land a few years back, we wouldn't be having this conversation as MDR wouldn't be open to bikes. Scrambling still happens when illegal trails, etc., show up.

At the end of the day, would fixing this pipe in an "unauthorized manner" matter? Probably not, but if Shaggz/we can get the green light from the right place, why risk it? Ya' never know when a little bridge can become the straw that broke the camels back.

We may be a little too sensitive to this stuff, I'll admit that. But we've been to the edge and peered into the abyss... Obviously, we'd prefer to stay far away from that and be on our bikes smokin' down Cascade or Stone Gate :D

Stocky

What Tim is trying to say is ....

It's better to ask for permission , than have to beg for forgiveness .

at least that's what my wife tells me all the time ;)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
What Tim is trying to say is ....

It's better to ask for permission , than have to beg for forgiveness .

at least that's what my wife tells me all the time ;)

I've obviously spent too much of my life in executive management. :eek:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
and I have never spent a day in wearing a suit to work , conference calls , power lunch , management . I'm happy to report :)

I've never had to wear a suit nor have I ever done power lunching. The rest has been done to death.

It should all be avoided.

Stocky

my friend who works from home , (computer rep )takes conference calls in the woods at Mahlon while we're riding. That is , we stop and call various locations on the trail his temporary office .You should see the view out his window from The Beaver Dam.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions