Winter Trail Abuse.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Digital signage -

again - i don't think closing is the right wording - but that finding some loophole where damaging the trails is a violation, and "will" result in an enforcement action.
in multiple languages.

or MTB and Equestian activities are highly discouraged at this time,
learn more at KeepSixMilePristine.com

Bring in @warcricket for an environmental impact video - gotta some grant money out there for that.

rick81721

Lothar
12357047_933041953397535_7369871567621455960_o.jpg

That works. Just get one about 10 times bigger

Frank

Sasquatch
is there any insurance available through JORBA or IMBA?
It's not so much a matter of insurance, but of enforcement....that could be a slippery slope. It's best to follow @jdog lead and spread the word. Allaire almost closed in 98 due to trail neglect and we (collectively) were able to save it then but it took a bit of negotiating with the land manager. Let's not put J in this situation....please

Mountain Bike Mike

Posting signs and trail closure should be handled by the land manager only. Should someone injure themselves when conditions are not perfect and someone hasn't "closed" it could lead to legal actions. Remember this is NJ and remember the Alexandria Pump Track

in this case can there be volunteers assigned by the land manager to perform this task?

Frank

Sasquatch
since signage is out of the question, we're back to sharing the message with all the people who already know.... which has been going on for as long as the 6 mile conditions thread began.
Not out of the question at all. If J gets support from the park, that would be great. My concern is with enforcement, not education.

edit: I just re-read my earlier post....I'm against signage without park permission and that was not reflected in my post.

Mountain Bike Mike

Not out of the question at all. If J gets support from the park, that would be great. My concern is with enforcement, not education.

edit: I just re-read my earlier post....I'm against signage without park permission and that was not reflected in my post.

ah...that makes more sense now...

I don't believe there should be any type of enforcement upon people... the signs are there to basically say the trail is closed because of poor conditions. Basically letting all those people who continue to ride in mud that its not ok. The thought behind that is education and possibly steer people in the right direction.

pygmypony

It's not so much a matter of insurance, but of enforcement....that could be a slippery slope. It's best to follow @jdog lead and spread the word. Allaire almost closed in 98 due to trail neglect and we (collectively) were able to save it then but it took a bit of negotiating with the land manager. Let's not put J in this situation....please
consider it spreading! historical perspective really helps in these cases, since most often, this is ground that's been trod before, and there's no use in making the same mistakes twice! though in banking, we excel at doing that!

brendini

Outside of just open close signage, is there any thought to a “Rules of the Trail” Sponsored by JORBA type sign at each trail head with like 5 or 6 bullets reminding everyone of how they should use the trails.

• These trails are multi-use and mountain bikers should yield to others.....
  • These trails are maintained by volunteers...
  • These trails are especially susceptible to wetness, do not ride during freeeze thaw, several days after rain
  • Mountain biking in the park is a privildge please observe the above and be good citizens
I’m sure someone can come up with better “rules” but this way we show everyone that we are proactive about the park and our usage and also help the uninformed learn. As others have said educating the ignorant is definitely where we’ll make the most ground, the assholes will always ignore anything even physical barriers

Patrick

Staff member
Outside of just open close signage, is there any thought to a “Rules of the Trail” Sponsored by JORBA type sign at each trail head with like 5 or 6 bullets reminding everyone of how they should use the trails.

• These trails are multi-use and mountain bikers should yield to others.....
  • These trails are maintained by volunteers...
  • These trails are especially susceptible to wetness, do not ride during freeeze thaw, several days after rain
  • Mountain biking in the park is a privildge please observe the above and be good citizens
I’m sure someone can come up with better “rules” but this way we show everyone that we are proactive about the park and our usage and also help the uninformed learn. As others have said educating the ignorant is definitely where we’ll make the most ground, the assholes will always ignore anything even physical barriers

if i told you there is a sign at each main trailhead that says something like this, would you believe me?

including something about dog poop.....

IMG_4471.JPG
IMG_4471.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
Nj had a few indoor skate parks that allowed bikes, buy they all banged up.

shields made the mistake of allowing mixed traffic without any signage for direction. they had plenty of business, but too many blind approaches.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
if i told you there is a sign at each main trailhead that says something like this, would you believe me?

This is why the sign needs to be large with only two words in big letters: TRAIL CLOSED.

The unfortunate reality is that no one will take the time to read anything beyond that.

RobW

serious question here-

do the land managers do anything on their end to educate the public (not just MTB groups ) on the sensitive soil they have during the freeze thaw cycle?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions