Winter Trail Abuse.

GHM73

I really think blocking off the parking would be the most effective but also the most of a challenge to enact.

Legitimate question: What about the hard-core who want to ride the frozen trails when there's hardly anyone else out there and you're not doing any damage?
Note: I'm TOTALLY fine with the consensus saying "just ride somewhere else." I'll take the "all or nothing" approach if it's best for the trails.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I really think blocking off the parking would be the most effective but also the most of a challenge to enact.

Legitimate question: What about the hard-core who want to ride the frozen trails when there's hardly anyone else out there and you're not doing any damage?
Note: I'm TOTALLY fine with the consensus saying "just ride somewhere else." I'll take the "all or nothing" approach if it's best for the trails.

Wouldn't be hard to read a weather station with solar sensor to find when the window for riding has closed for the day.

that being said - yes, it is time to rewatch...

https://www.captiongenerator.com/341842/Hitler-rants-about-Six-Mile-being-wet

thanks @Pearl and crew

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
tenor.gif

Mountain Bike Mike

Wouldn't be hard to read a weather station with solar sensor to find when the window for riding has closed for the day.

that being said - yes, it is time to rewatch...

https://www.captiongenerator.com/341842/Hitler-rants-about-Six-Mile-being-wet

thanks @Pearl and crew

SARCASM

Or go around and place moisture detecting ground sensors that communicate via sattelite to a centrally managed repository / database / server and we can set moisture % thresholds that will execute a command to the remote controlled gates, signs and robots.

SARCASM

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Or go around and place moisture detecting ground sensors that communicate via sattelite to a centrally managed repository / database / server and we can set moisture % thresholds that will execute a command to the remote controlled gates, signs and robots.

don't forget the lasers!!!
on full autonomous - can use the new sram der system for aiming.

- i have a friend looking for an AI project. wonder if aiming lasers, sounds more fun than moisture detection/prediction?

jklett

I go to the canal lot regularly and try to ask people not to ride when it's wet but there's only so many "f -off"s can one person take. How about a game camera and post pictures of the culprits at all the local shops and when said dick biscuit comes in for muddy bike repairs he/she's turned away?

Edit: I have a game camera I'll gladly donate to the cause.

Mountain Bike Mike

don't forget the lasers!!!
on full autonomous - can use the new sram der system for aiming.

- i have a friend looking for an AI project. wonder if aiming lasers, sounds more fun than moisture detection/prediction?

if a bike trips / breaches a sensor, a magnetic pulse is deployed which will erase all electronic shifting, power meter and gps function...

All of which can be monitored and updated here on the 6 miles conditions feed.

GHM73

How about a game camera and post pictures of the culprits at all the local shops and when said dick biscuit comes in for muddy bike repairs he/she's turned away?

Now THAT'S a creative idea! And actually doable. Doesn't really solve the problem, but it sure sounds like fun!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
All great ideas being thrown out here. I think to a point made earlier we should at least start with something that will get the ball rolling and hopefully stem the issue for all but the most egregious abusers.

For example, excepting the people that purposely ride in mud because they feel it’s their prerogative, there may be many that just don’t know any better and if they saw a sign that indicates the trail is closed may actually turn away. Even if these folks are, say, only 20% of the problem, that’s 20% less usage right there

Then, if those signs could be enhanced to infer riding in mud is bad, and doing so could result in consequences ( tickets, loss of access, etc) , we might get another 20 - 60% of riders to reconsider.

Challenge is the practicality of static signage. The signs need to be dynamic, both in content and in frequency of display.

To this end, perhaps we could look at solar powered signs for which the content could be updated remotely by a select handful of pre-agreed local volunteers (Jason, local riders, park staff)

Here’s an example of a company that makes such signs. Not sure of the cost and/permitting required but perhaps a trial run of a few signs, funded by donations from those of us that ride there or care to make a difference, would help.

3D4FF805-B77B-4723-B330-B5E5380B3927.jpeg

Last edited:

pygmypony

Solutions require resources. Time, $$, people. No progress will be made without it. even just blue-sky thinking might trigger a couple key
points that @jdog or others can take to the park staff/managers to get them talking, and know that we are working it.

this sums it up perfectly. all of these solutions require resources. maybe the most important one is people.

i know many of the posters here are parents who have had kids go through school and youth sports and the same problem exists there.

there are a ton of areas of need (coaches, school trip chaperones, fund raisers, etc) but it's always the same 10 people that volunteer to help. the single biggest pain in the neck of my volunteer "career" while my kids were younger was as league scheduler for North Edison Baseball and Softball. having to determine fields as playable or not playable was the same labor intensive, volunteer centric pain in the neck problem as trail closures. and yes, you are NEVER going to have everyone happy. there were countless days we called rainouts because the fields weren't playable and parents would complain. and then other days where we played, and parents chewed us out for playing games in the rain. it's a very thankless pursuit...

the trail signage / closure is a great idea, but we need volunteers to monitor and maintain.

if we had a group of concerned/local 6MR users that all volunteered to be available for trail closure actions (ie roping off trails), maybe that's a start. this way it doesn't all fall on @jdog or someone who's really close like @clarkenstein

i live 20 minutes from 6MR and would be available occasionally (on days i don't go into NYC for work). we could even use this thread as the communication source.

who else wants to volunteer?

as @Mountain Bike Mike mentioned (and HBD by the way), as long as @jdog supports, we could form a team of volunteers willing to roll down to the three main access points to rope them off for closure? obviously it doesn't even have to be the same person doing all three each time.

* rte 27
* jaques lane
* canal road

we would all have to recognize it wouldn't be perfect to start, but at least it would be exactly that...a start.

Frank

Sasquatch
Posting signs and trail closure should be handled by the land manager only. Should someone injure themselves when conditions are not perfect and someone hasn't "closed" it could lead to legal actions. Remember this is NJ and remember the Alexandria Pump Track

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Posting signs and trail closure should be handled by the land manager only. Should someone injure themselves when conditions are not perfect and someone hasn't "closed" it could lead to legal actions. Remember this is NJ and remember the Alexandria Pump Track

Listen to Frank.

I'm all about improved signage.

Let's hear all of your suggestions for signage.

pygmypony

wow i never thought about that, but it's a good point. youth sports orgs all spend tons of $$$ on insurance.

is there any insurance available through JORBA or IMBA?

i had never heard of the alexandria pump track so, google...
http://www.jorba.org/alexandriapumptrack

but not a lot of additional info on why it closed. but the point is made...

if you build it, people will SUE! sad stuff...

ok, back to signage

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions