Winter Riding Stay Warm Tips ...

Tim

aka sptimmy43
ahh, anther debate, plastic against your skin....
Actually, I had a thick wool sock, plastic bag, then a thin sock over that. Did I have that backwards? Is it more effective to have the the thin sock on the inside?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Actually, I had a thick wool sock, plastic bag, then a thin sock over that. Did I have that backwards? Is it more effective to have the the thin sock on the inside?
Debatable, but it is either plastic against skin and sock over top

or

thin sock, plastic, thicker sock. The issue with the thick sock on the bottom is that it will get wet from sweat and become cold.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Debatable, but it is either plastic against skin and sock over top

or

thin sock, plastic, thicker sock. The issue with the thick sock on the bottom is that it will get wet from sweat and become cold.

That's how I usually do it for road/non-winter shoes. Thin sock, bag, wool sock. In winter boots it's thin, wool, actual vapor cover like Gore Alaska Socks.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's the point of the plastic? Doesn't that make your feet sweat regardless of what layered socks you have?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
No one has re-mentioned the plastic bag trick for you feet?

i still do the nitryl gloves to keep the sweat off the insulating part of the gloves....but haven't done any long rides in the cold yet.

Dingo

You all are so lucky to have small feet and be able to add another sock, bags, heat pads and still have room in the boot.
My size 13 is a tight fit with just a heavy sock in the euro 48, thats a 14 size in usa. When it's that tight my feet loose circulation and then feel cold.
The heated socks sure have helped, no problems. Just hope they last more than 1 season. So far this season has been toasty toes.

Frank

Sasquatch
You all are so lucky to have small feet and be able to add another sock, bags, heat pads and still have room in the boot.
My size 13 is a tight fit with just a heavy sock in the euro 48, thats a 14 size in usa. When it's that tight my feet loose circulation and then feel cold.
The heated socks sure have helped, no problems. Just hope they last more than 1 season. So far this season has been toasty toes.
I have the same issue. I bought the largest Wolvhammers (50) and I can’t really layer socks without making things too tight. Hell, they don’t make socks big enough to not squeeze my feet so I went with Thermacell heated insoles. I bought them last winter and they are still working great so far this year.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last ride was Gore tool jacket, gore base layer, heavy pair of LG pants, shorts over the top. I discovered the shorts help keep the pants from riding down, which is nice for everyone. I wear a random pair of Nike running gloves or sometimes my regular giro full fingers.

Feet are somewhat an issue right now, it's flats with a random pair of Columbia mid weight waterproof hiking boots. Not insulated but not vented and (so far the best) a pair of smart wool socks. The best accessories are a thin under helmet cap that covers the ears from nashbar I think, a $5 poly neck gaiter from primark and a pair of outdoor research running gaiters which keep snow out of my boots-which is clutch.

For me the key is to keep moving. If the sun is out and not too windy this works into the low teens. If I stop too long the sweat overcomes the heat build up and I'm doomed.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
What's the point of the plastic? Doesn't that make your feet sweat regardless of what layered socks you have?

I find the plastic only works in normal shoes. I use it to replace a booty. Perfect example would be a cold cross race.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The plastic bag is more for wind proofing a non-winter shoe. I do wool socks with a Walmart bag corner over the front half of the foot. If you do the whole foot you’ll just have soaked feet. It’s good for a cold cross race since it’s short. I’ve done it for longer winter rides too, but added toe warmers.

qclabrat

I didn't think of using my old diving booties till I read @clarkenstein 's post on the 510 winter shoe thread on using surfing booties. Have a pair of oversized winter boots which may fit with them on. Going to give it a try today if I get a chance to get out.

1515080036717.png

jackx

I didn't think of using my old diving booties till I read @clarkenstein 's post on the 510 winter shoe thread on using surfing booties. Have a pair of oversized winter boots which may fit with them on. Going to give it a try today if I get a chance to get out.

View attachment 61419
Hope they work for you, but I think your feet will freeze in those. Also because they don't have a merino wool lining.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode today in the standard setup except with a balaclava. It took a couple good climbs until I warmed up enough to feel somewhat comfortable. My worry here is I feel like this is a no margin for error deal. Get a flat, twist an ankle, if you stop for too long i might get too cold. Biking is such a unique set of parameters.

That said when I got back nothing was sweaty which even in cold weather is a first for me. Maybe 10 degrees and windy is just my limit.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That said when I got back nothing was sweaty which even in cold weather is a first for me.

If you weren't cold, then I think you nailed it.

A warm core, fingers, and toes and no sweat is what I try to accomplish every ride in the cold. I tend to under dress and bring a light packable wind jacket in my pocket just in case.

Top Bottom