Winter rides..??

Kaleidopete

wawa iceRide07.jpg

Bike 16°.jpg

Chris Nordt

I have no problem with cold (played ice hockey for 20 years), I was just curious how my bike would hold up in snow and frozen dirt. I don't think my 2.0 rear tire will get much snow traction lol.

I actually got 2 of my guys to ride saturday, now we just need to decide when and where.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Bar mitts and toe warmers were huge for me.

IMO, winter riding is about practicing common sense just like driving in wintery conditions. Not going to crank things up... not that I can lol

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I only run "skinny" tires and have had a blast riding in the snow. When it reaches the 4"+ snowfall....it can get a bit challenging prior to the snow being packed down.

Deer Park
upload_2016-11-15_10-27-25.png

Allamuchy North - Tranquility Side
upload_2016-11-15_10-29-15.png

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I have no problem with cold (played ice hockey for 20 years), I was just curious how my bike would hold up in snow and frozen dirt. I don't think my 2.0 rear tire will get much snow traction lol.

I actually got 2 of my guys to ride saturday, now we just need to decide when and where.

As long as it's not too deep you'll be fine. Honestly I think you're more likely to have issues with your derailleurs than tires in moderate snow cover.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Fresh tracks is the answer. Other peoples tracks kill fun for everyone, yes, even if 100 fatbikers pack down the trail ahead of you. 2.0 tire is going to cut and sink quickly but a 5" tire doesn't buy you as much as you would think.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Obviously, if it gets too deep snow can make it impossible to ride. But snow also provides a great opportunity to look at a familiar place in a new way, too. A familiar rocky section of trail covered in fresh snow can be a new challenge to navigate because you can't see the rocks under the powder, but that same trail a few days later can feel smooth and faster than usual once a lot of the snow has been packed down. Ice is the only real enemy you have to look out for - hitting the ground on an icy section is never fun.

Aside from snow, the only element of winter you have to adapt to is frozen extremities. But that's usually a temporary problem that goes away after a while. I usually find that after about 20 minutes on a really cold morning ride, I have to stop to get feeling back in my fingers, but once the blood starts flowing again, I usually don't have to deal with it again during that ride. Excruciating digit pain as they thaw out builds character, doesn't it?

Zaskar

One more thing to remember is the freeze/thaw cycles that happen. Overnight night the temps drop and freezes the surface and then the sun comes up and softens it up which leads to ruts and tread damage. Don't ride during these times....you'll be publicly shamed.

qclabrat

One more thing to remember is the freeze/thaw cycles that happen. Overnight night the temps drop and freezes the surface and then the sun comes up and softens it up which leads to ruts and tread damage. Don't ride during these times....you'll be publicly shamed.
there's also rare instance of magic snow, where slop freezes enough to give a tacky enough to surface for contact but not sink into
though it's a hard find and you'll have little fun if too hard or soft

Zaskar

there's also rare instance of magic snow, where slop freezes enough to give a tacky enough to surface for contact but not sink into
though it's a hard find and you'll have little fun if too hard or soft

Yes, let me clarify. I was talking about no snow, but the dirt/ground freeze/thaw.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Mountain Bike Mike , Thompson Park in Lincroft rents skis, boots and poles cheap, + they groom trails to make it easier to xc ski...when it snows.
Also High Point rents and grooms when they get snow. There are also places to rent in New Paltz if you want to head further north.
Hopefully we get snow this winter.

Top Bottom