Winter-only wheelset - are tubes a mistake?

one piece crank

So I can get a decent 2nd wheelset for little coin (lightly used or even new closeouts), but they are not tubeless ready. If I'm only planning to use these for studded winter tires, am I making a mistake going with tubes? Should I just save up until I can build a tubeless wheelset?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are the studded tires tubeless ready? If not, that may answer your question already that you can use tubes. Normally you do want to run lower pressures riding in snow and such, but that's not as much the case with studded tires anyway as you have the addition of studs for traction.

If you got some wheels for free, I'd say to try ghetto tubeless. If you are buying wheels, just wait for a deal on some tubeless ones.

grilledcheeseking

If you're using these on trails and transporting bike in car, have at it.
If these are for a commuter or a bike that's going on a rack, I'd personally think about a wheelset that's nearly expendable.
Or maybe you're better than I am about hosing the salt off the winter bike.
Something to think about anyway.

Johnny Utah

So I can get a decent 2nd wheelset for little coin (lightly used or even new closeouts), but they are not tubeless ready. If I'm only planning to use these for studded winter tires, am I making a mistake going with tubes? Should I just save up until I can build a tubeless wheelset?
My issue with tubes on a fat bike is they attract thorns very well. Originally I went tubeless not for all the awesome benefits (weight, air pressure, tire growth/conformity), but because I kept patching tubes.....like every ride at Allaire. Save for tubeless and/or look for a second hand wheelset. What hub demensions are you using?

one piece crank

I hear you on the thorns - picked-up a handful in my first few days on the fat bike (on trials my SS seemed to miss them?).

Consensus seems to go with tubeless, which I think I already agreed with when I posted. I'm riding 150/197 thru axles.

Johnny Utah

I hear you on the thorns - picked-up a handful in my first few days on the fat bike (on trials my SS seemed to miss them?).

Consensus seems to go with tubeless, which I think I already agreed with when I posted. I'm riding 150/197 thru axles.
There are a good amount of second hand wheels for that hub width on pink bike, eBay and many Facebook groups. That being said the surly rims are relative cheap, very strong and setup tubeless easy. I prefer the Marge lite for summer or a bike that will not see 5” tires. The rolling Daryl is the best all around IMO for 4/5” tires when not racing. The clown shoes is a bit much in NJ unless you will only use the bike for sand and deep snow with 5” tires.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

Simple question. What wheels are you running on a Fat Bike that aren't Winter compatible?

one piece crank

Jim - semantics - referring to a set of wheels with studded tired that I only plan to use in the winter. Essentially so it's easy to switch - one wheel set studded, one not.

Top Bottom