Winter mtb shoes?

For the last 5 years I've worn LG winter shoes that I got for 40 bucks from Performance (crazy sale plus Team Performance points). With ski socks and liners, my feet never got cold on dry rides (down to single digits; not sure that I've been out when its below zero).
The last couple of years though, light rain and even snow fall would soak them and I'd have to head home.
This year I saved my 30/30 gc to Halter's and drove out there on Black Friday and bought some Wolvhammers. With the $100 gift certificate and Jay's awesome bf sale, they only cost me a couple of bucks more than my first car.
I can't testify to their warmth though, as it's still Crocs weather.
If there is no BIYF this year, they may just stay in the box (I really need some outside motivation).

When it got below 25, I used to need winter boots (Shimano) + toe warmers. But last winter I was riding almost everyday and my feet somehow got used to it. I was able to go w/ just the Shimano boots for the 2nd half of the winter.

#boom! So, if I am wearing size 48 shimano standard shoes should i move up to a 49 or 50 in the lakes or wolvhammers?
I run 48 specialized summer shoes, and shimano 48 are too small for me, so my shimano equivalent might be a 49/50. I wear 50 wolvhammers, and they are just right. So my guess is your shimano 48s would be a wolvhammer 48 (they don't make 49 iirc).

I bought the new Shimano MW7. My feet are ok in Teva Pivots (summer shoe) until about 35-40 Degrees. At 30 Degrees (fahrenheit) my toes go numb after about 30 mins of riding.

I wore the MW7 in 20 degree weather with only 1 wool sock. They started to get cold after 60 minutes but NOT frozen and numb like mine did in 30 degree weather after 30 minutes.

The Shimano MW7 are going for $168 on Bike-Discount.de. Only problem I see with Wolvhammers is they are just massive. I feel they do great for warmth and snow riding and treking etc. But are big and clumsy for just cold weather riding, I feel they will also look weird with shorts.

I read a review that the Specialized shoes are also a great pick, scored higher than the MW7 only because it kept the users foot warmer longer. Pass on the Mavics and Northwaves.

I wish 45nrth made an inbetween to the wolvhammer but their step down shoe is ugly (sorry gotta also like the way it looks as well)

I wish 45nrth made an inbetween to the wolvhammer but their step down shoe is ugly (sorry gotta also like the way it looks as well)[/QUOTE said:
If you don't like the Japanther then its your loss. It re-invented my fall / winter riding. Friggin' awesome. Ever look at yourself in a bike helmet? No one cares what your shoes look like lol.

Lakes/wolfhammers /etc.... Then buy a box of toe warmers... You'll be all good for any temperature

I wish 45nrth made an inbetween to the wolvhammer but their step down shoe is ugly (sorry gotta also like the way it looks as well)[/QUOTE said:
If you don't like the Japanther then its your loss. It re-invented my fall / winter riding. Friggin' awesome. Ever look at yourself in a bike helmet? No one cares what your shoes look like lol.
@Fat Trout Did you have to size up to Japanthers?
Did you find the Japanthers to be rather tight in the ankle? I know they are adjustable with velcro, but they seem tight when they are completely zipped.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom