Winter is trying to kill me ...

Nope. I'm supposed to take it all the time. When I'm having difficulty the dose will be increased to about 80mg then taper back to 10. Hopefully my bones don't desintigrate.

hmm - i'd hit like, but that seems wrong. Hope this situation resolves.

The stomach virus may be one of the worst things ever. If you have children in school or daycare, its not a question of if, but when. Couple that with the fact that no one in the tri-state area (or anywhere apparently) understands the fucking concept of personal hygiene, and you have the current flu/stomach virus season.

The only thing worse than puking and being nauseous all night is having an impacted kidney stone at the same time. The two types of pain really compliment each other well.

Prednisone is my drug of choice, I love that stuff! 3.5 years ago I started on 180 mg a day.
Over the years I dropped to 30 mg a day maintenance. September of '17 I tried getting off it.
It felt like I aged 20 years getting off it. The last six months I've managed to ween off it and
I have less stamina and am weaker for it, but I know it's for the best to get over it. Now I'm
three months clean, except for the occasional need for three days to overcome a problem.
Basically I'm done with it.

Prednisone is my drug of choice, I love that stuff! 3.5 years ago I started on 180 mg a day.
Over the years I dropped to 30 mg a day maintenance. September of '17 I tried getting off it.
It felt like I aged 20 years getting off it. The last six months I've managed to ween off it and
I have less stamina and am weaker for it, but I know it's for the best to get over it. Now I'm
three months clean, except for the occasional need for three days to overcome a problem.
Basically I'm done with it.

Sure it wasn't 80? I have not heard anything over 80 unless it's through IV in a hospital setting.

I think Chris Froome can help with your issue.

I also heard this is the best time to be in close contact with people
image.jpg

I remember talking to @anrothar (guess his not a member anymore)on a back visit from Alaska in the winter who left because asthma was so bad here except in the warmer months. Winter was when he would only come back. Both my grandmother and my best man said that winter was a relief for their asthma. My grandmother was told to move out west or succumb to the humidity. They moved to Nevada.

So that's why I am surprised to hear that your worst is in the winter. The up side if you move to dryer out west location it will have awesome biking. That's the most important thing.

Yer right! My mistake, that was 80 mg, not 180

Prednisone is nasty to be on long term, your liver will be much happier if you slowly ween yourself off. Its immunosuppressive, it shuts down something like 7% of your genes, which may not sound like alot, but you want your immune system back up after an allergic attack has passed ASAP, especially this time of year.

Prednisone is nasty to be on long term, your liver will be much happier if you slowly ween yourself off. Its immunosuppressive, it shuts down something like 7% of your genes, which may not sound like alot, but you want your immune system back up after an allergic attack has passed ASAP, especially this time of year.
True, but I have a different situation, I HAVE to suppress my immune system,
so now I'm doing it with Imuran, which seems to be working well for me.

True, but I have a different situation, I HAVE to suppress my immune system,
so now I'm doing it with Imuran, which seems to be working well for me.

After Prednisone I took Imuran for years. Other than some hair loss in the beginning there isn’t any visible side effects, at least for me. It is sort of a very mild form of chemo. My doc told me he has had people on it for their whole life w/o any problems. Thankfully I don’t have to take any drugs anymore.

Asthma update ... when I saw my doctor last week, he told me I could try riding outside, but I really needed to have my albuterol inhaler on me at all times in case things went sideways. He also told me to "pre-treat" with a couple of puffs before I go out in the cold. He also has me using a peak flow meter every day and recording the reading for him when I go back to see him later this year. Saturday was the first time in over a week I tried to ride outside, and it was a definite test of sorts since it was 23 degrees here when I started. I played it pretty safe on Saturday, stopping every 5 miles or so to take a breather and see how I was feeling. I was a little nervous of letting my HR go too high because I thought that might kick my breathing rate up high enough to start a coughing fit, and I rode the first 20 minutes with a buff covering my mouth and nose (but I had to abandon that when it started to drive me nuts.) Overall, the ride was a success - a little bit of coughing afterward, but nothing that got out of control. And despite feeling like I wasn't pushing too hard, I still kept a decent pace up around Wiss (I'm always happy with a +10 mph average there.) So I was pretty psyched, but I also knew I didn't want to push it too hard so even though I felt pretty good, I shut it down after 20 miles. Saturday night, my buddy texted me to ride first thing Sunday morning (mostly, it would turn out, so he could shout "Go Eagles!" at everyone we passed on the trail.) I wasn't too sure how I'd feel two days in a row right now, but I decided to risk it. I followed my doc's orders with the inhaler (Dr. Froome would approve!) and we started a little before 8 am. And after a bit of a tentative ride on Saturday, I felt great on Sunday! In fact, the further we went the better I felt. A little early coughing, but then it seemed like my lungs just opened up going up Twisty-Turny and I suddenly felt normal. I think it helped that, in spite of the cold, conditions were pretty much perfect all around -- the trail was rock solid, and while the air itself was cold, it wasn't that deep frigid air we've been stuck with for so much of the winter so far. My buddy detonated a little after 20 miles (he's been pretty busy the last few weeks so he hadn't been riding and we were moving pretty well, so I think he just cooked his legs when we pushed a bit hard on the step-up climb near the golf course), but I wasn't ready to stop so I hung on and stayed for a 30 mile day. Then weather started to deteriorate a little bit (sideways snow and sleet), so I figured it was time to shut it down. And no breathing issues afterward.

I'm really hoping this is a return to normality and not just an isolated nice weekend. I can definitely tell the difference using the inhaler -- one or two quick puffs before starting seem to be the difference between being able to breathe normally and feeling like I'm breathing through a sponge. I don't want to rely on that all the time, so I'll be trying to go without it at the first sign of warmer weather, but for now it seems to be the difference between being able to ride outside and not so I'm going to stick with it.

I'm now more convinced than ever that the issues I've had this winter are specifically related to cold weather. A few weeks ago, I did a 12 hour race in Florida with temps in the 80's all day and I was breathing fine the whole weekend. Over the past two weeks, I've done some good hard rides and both times suffered pretty nasty attacks afterward. Last week, I needed to use my nebulizer after I woke up in the morning so I could even function at work.. And I was coughing most of the night Sunday after a group ride on the SRT. I rode last night (against better judgment, probably) and had the same issue this morning. I feel like I'm living on my medicines now and I can only function if I use it before exercise, and I can't sleep unless I have a humidifier on. It's annoying and I'm really hoping that once the weather finally warms up I can get back to normal. I'm not willing to give up doing the things I like to do outside. It kind of sucks. Last night, I had to stop and recover after a climb in Wiss because I felt like I was suffocating once my HR got high enough to require elevated respiration. I may not have "mid-season" fitness right now, but needing to stop on a climb hasn't happened to me in years. That sucks.

unable to press like on that one.
sucks is probably an understatement. Good luck with sorting it out -

Sounds like the winter Olympics will never be your thing, at least there is the summer Olympics doe.

Back
Top Bottom