Winter gear must haves?

RobW

If you were a boy scout, you would remember the key to warmth is to layer properly. Base(wool,cold gear), mid(fleece type or long sleeve insulated jersey) and outer layer( hard shell) if you build up your gear slowly and make due with what you got it will get you out there... being cold is just part of playing in the cold, you will harden up and will become a better rider because you won’t want to stop as much. I’ve done some mtb rides in the teens and honestly, those days have been some of the best days on the bike. This year I bought some winter shoes for down to 25* and I have the endura covers for them if it’s too cold.

The key is to try a different combinations of gear to find what works best for you.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I know what it is supposed to be: roughly frozen (i.e. not smooth ice) upper crust over snow strong enough to support your weight. Just saying that rarely happens, at least in SNJ
Yup, handful of times in the last 10 years

rick81721

Lothar
If you were a boy scout, you would remember the key to warmth is to layer properly. Base(wool,cold gear), mid(fleece type or long sleeve insulated jersey) and outer layer( hard shell) if you build up your gear slowly and make due with what you got it will get you out there... being cold is just part of playing in the cold, you will harden up and will become a better rider because you won’t want to stop as much. I’ve done some mtb rides in the teens and honestly, those days have been some of the best days on the bike. This year I bought some winter shoes for down to 25* and I have the endura covers for them if it’s too cold.

The key is to try a different combinations of gear to find what works best for you.

What I learned as a boyscout for cold weather: wrap a hot rock from the campfire in newspaper and place in bottom of crappy sleeping bag. Ensure rock is not so hot that newspaper bursts into flames. If successful, will get a few hours of sleep before the giant icecube in your sleeping bag wakes you up. And for comic relief, throw unopened 2 lb cans of beans in the campfire and watch as a giant mushroom cloud steam/bean explosion blows out your fire.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What I learned as a boyscout for cold weather: wrap a hot rock from the campfire in newspaper and place in bottom of crappy sleeping bag. Ensure rock is not so hot that newspaper bursts into flames. If successful, will get a few hours of sleep before the giant icecube in your sleeping bag wakes you up. And for comic relief, throw unopened 2 lb cans of beans in the campfire and watch as a giant mushroom cloud steam/bean explosion blows out your fire.

your fire wasnt big enough

source: eagle scout with many years of bonfire experience.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

baked beans make the best camp bombs. The bigger the can the better.

However; back to the subject. I usually wear layers and a hat. I dress so I am a little cold in the parking lot, so when I warm up I am dressed correctly. If I overdress then I get sweaty and then I get cold.

jklett

Or instead of beans, don't listen to the scoutmaster and try the rock right out of the pond for a similar effect.

rick81721

Lothar
Or instead of beans, don't listen to the scoutmaster and try the rock right out of the pond for a similar effect.

My favorite addition to a fire (note our troop didn't have some of the brightest bulbs in town): half filled propane cylinder from a propane lantern. We were in the adjacent campsite and heard what sounded like a volcano erupting. Running down the trail to the site, we see a flame about 3 ft in diameter and 6 feet long roaring out of the safety plug, and the head of the guy who threw the cylinder in the fire peaking out from behind a big tree. Good times!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My favorite addition to a fire (note our troop didn't have some of the brightest bulbs in town): half filled propane cylinder from a propane lantern. We were in the adjacent campsite and heard what sounded like a volcano erupting. Running down the trail to the site, we see a flame about 3 ft in diameter and 6 feet long roaring out of the safety plug, and the head of the guy who threw the cylinder in the fire peaking out from behind a big tree. Good times!

looks like he failed to fix stupid that night, i guess its better to be lucky than smart in his case.

what about the idiots that used the ax cans as flamethrowers, we had a couple of those blowup

jklett

looks like he failed to fix stupid that night, i guess its better to be lucky than smart in his case.

what about the idiots that used the ax cans as flamethrowers, we had a couple of those blowup
My daughter's idiot boyfriend burned off one of his eyebrows doing that, had to shave the other one so it would match and had my kid pencil in new ones so his mom wouldn't notice. He had football pictures a few days later sans eyebrows.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My daughter's idiot boyfriend burned off one of his eyebrows doing that, had to shave the other one so it would match and had my kid pencil in new ones so his mom wouldn't notice. He had football pictures a few days later sans eyebrows.

idiot boyfriend or idiot ex-boyfriend after that incident?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Late catching up, not gonna read it all, but yeah balaclava and a Gore Tool jacket is well worth the investment for when things get cold.

dmc123

This thread is bringing back fond memories of a ride I did last January when it was -4 degrees with -13 windchill. Good times...

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 8.07.46 PM.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Never leave your shoes in the car - if they start out cold they will never warm up.

i have been known to put my boots in my heated boot bag (ski/snowboard) and have them toasty
to start.

20F, in the woods, with the sun out, and the wind still, is magnificent.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Never leave your shoes in the car - if they start out cold they will never warm up.

i have been known to put my boots in my heated boot bag (ski/snowboard) and have them toasty
to start.

20, in the woods, with the sun out, and the wind still, is magnificent.
This is slightly off, warm shoes to start=sweaty feet close to start=cold feet at end. However having them in the car and not on while driving to the trail head is correct due to sweat. That is if you are diving further than 10-15 min.

Same goes for clothes, drive to trailhead with out top layer on or when riding from home, jacket or top layer goes on last so you don’t sweat out before hitting the cold.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I’ll beat the horse.

Dress like it’s 20 degrees warmer out than it is and you are just going to stand still vs exercise. When it’s real cold block the wind too and you’ll be a-OK.

Ex: if it’s 25 out, dress like you are going to sit outside for an hour or so when it’s 45 out.

It’s trial and error at first but once you dial in your clothes, you’ll have your 20 degree/30 degree/50 degree set ups. I have those “outfits” and the same temp levels but also when there is precip. Rain is a real game changer below 45-ish.

Cheap toss away rubber gloves make a great glove liner when it’s biting cold or wet and cold.

Top Bottom