Winter gear must haves?

I tried my skiing helmet once for a particularly cold ride - holy crap was that too hot.

I recently bought a thin headband that can cover my ears. Hopefully that will be a nice compromise.

ski helmet for single digits, or lower.

I thought @rick81721 was going to suggest a swimmers cap since he’s a fan of latex

liquid latex, jeez.

Just received my shimano mw-7 winter shoes. I ordered a size up based on reviews but I fear they may be one size too big. Do I embrace the extra room to keep the blood circulating? To give you an I idea I can fit my finger between my heel and the heel of the shoe while wearing my thickest socks. My biggest worry is if I bet a size smaller it will be too narrow for my flat, hobbit feet.
What size did you get? I’ve been looking at them myself, if they are the right size I might be interested in buying them if you wanted to get a different size.

What size did you get? I’ve been looking at them myself, if they are the right size I might be interested in buying them if you wanted to get a different size.
I got opted for the 48, b.c. every review said to up a size. They're a little too long but a size smaller would make them too narrow in the toe box.

just ordered the silk glove liners - had a coupon code for amazon....
there is a hole in my sleestaks.

i have the same shoes and bought the proper size for my foot (48 EUR, 14 US). i ended up cutting the top half of the insole off, leaving the heel section in, and they have been a perfect fit for the last two winters!
If you want another pair I have these brand new, never been worn for sale. Just looking to get what I paid for them, $150.

I have the first gen ones, so that was maybe 3 years ago? The outer shell
Was ripstop nylon. Just bought a new pair and the outer shell is a more durable fabric.
Dude, hands were sweating the whole time on the ride. Will like to see how much lower temps they can handle! Great recommendation

Since we're talking about hats, someone please help me find a replacement for my under-helmet wear in cold weather, as I don't know it's name but I lost it yesterday in PA.

Way back when in AZ I road go carts and they made us wear head covers so either I didn't give other people lice, or I didn't get their lice. Whatever. But importantly you kept it after riding the go-carts. So it basically touched everything in an open-face helmet.

It was loose fitting and covered the top/back/sides of my head but the front was completely open. I liked it because:
1) It was loose unlike a cap.
2) It was semi-large size so it kept my ears and my back/top of my head warm.
3) Light enough so it gave me just a little warmth and wind stoppage, most rides I'd have to take it off anyway after a few minutes.
4) Since the front was open I had more options with a gator and I hardly noticed it was there as it was not tight.

Anyone? I may just buy a cheap Balaclava and cut it up, but if it had a name...

Not like there aren't enough replies here, but...
It was mid-twenties this morning, which Is simpler sometimes as there's no decisions needed, just grab the legit cold stuff. 30-40 is a pita trying to keep from sweating. So here's my jam.

LG fleece tights. Sauna over 30 but great anything below. I've learned to wear baggies over which keeps them from riding down and also gives me bonus pockets.
JimV endorsed Gore Tool. Only negative is, it fits pretty snug so layering under can be challenging.
Until today I was wearing a Gore base layer with the wind stopper front and lighter fabric rear. I just got a mid-weight REI base which worked very well with the Tool today. See how it does colder.
Nashbar skull cap with ear flaps. Think it was five or ten bucks.
Neck gaiter from some cheapo retailer.
Nike acg soft shell running gloves. I've never needed anything very warm. I just got a cold weather set of pearl izumi gloves which are probably going to be too much. I generally bring my summer gloves to switch into once it warms up ( I typically ride early).

Between the headgear and gloves I can really regulate temps without messing around with the bigger stuff. In super cold temps I've worn three layers and a balaclava but that's like windy single digits.

My problem is footwear. I ride flats and use a waterproof pair of hiking boots for winter, adding a set of running gaiters for snow. Problem is after spending the summer on my 5.10's I want the grip of the dedicated flats, it's a huge difference. My 5.10s fit a little snug so my feet get cold after an hour or so.
Oh, Smartwool light cushion socks rock.

Not like there aren't enough replies here, but...
It was mid-twenties this morning, which Is simpler sometimes as there's no decisions needed, just grab the legit cold stuff. 30-40 is a pita trying to keep from sweating. So here's my jam.

LG fleece tights. Sauna over 30 but great anything below. I've learned to wear baggies over which keeps them from riding down and also gives me bonus pockets.
JimV endorsed Gore Tool. Only negative is, it fits pretty snug so layering under can be challenging.
Until today I was wearing a Gore base layer with the wind stopper front and lighter fabric rear. I just got a mid-weight REI base which worked very well with the Tool today. See how it does colder.
Nashbar skull cap with ear flaps. Think it was five or ten bucks.
Neck gaiter from some cheapo retailer.
Nike acg soft shell running gloves. I've never needed anything very warm. I just got a cold weather set of pearl izumi gloves which are probably going to be too much. I generally bring my summer gloves to switch into once it warms up ( I typically ride early).

Between the headgear and gloves I can really regulate temps without messing around with the bigger stuff. In super cold temps I've worn three layers and a balaclava but that's like windy single digits.

My problem is footwear. I ride flats and use a waterproof pair of hiking boots for winter, adding a set of running gaiters for snow. Problem is after spending the summer on my 5.10's I want the grip of the dedicated flats, it's a huge difference. My 5.10s fit a little snug so my feet get cold after an hour or so.
Oh, Smartwool light cushion socks rock.
5.10 eps size up from normal problem solved for feet , i have a size 10 looking to sell

Since we're talking about hats, someone please help me find a replacement for my under-helmet wear in cold weather, as I don't know it's name but I lost it yesterday in PA.

Way back when in AZ I road go carts and they made us wear head covers so either I didn't give other people lice, or I didn't get their lice. Whatever. But importantly you kept it after riding the go-carts. So it basically touched everything in an open-face helmet.

It was loose fitting and covered the top/back/sides of my head but the front was completely open. I liked it because:
3) Light enough so it gave me just a little warmth and wind stoppage, most rides I'd have to take it off anyway after a few minutes.
4) Since the front was open I had more options with a gator and I hardly noticed it was there as it was not tight.

06D654D9-947F-4B8B-8049-9292E5B99605.jpeg

i believe the term you are looking for is headsock, alternatively go for an afternoon at pole position in jersey city and just bring one home . . .

My issue with that cap (which I'll probably pickup) is it doesn't go down the back/sides providing a little bit of warmth when I start biking. That cap might do it though.

Loose isn't a big deal under the top, but the back/sides it's nice not having that constricting feeling.

This is a weird one for me as I don't deal well with the cold, but I can't have too much warmth on my head.

I think the @shrpshtr325 thought of going to Pole Position would be the most fun.

@Santapez yesterday i wore an old navy polyester (fleece feeling) hat under the helmet and it wicked pretty good. thats about all i have right now. for the neck i had a cheapo gator that i pulled over the back of my head. ended up taking the gator off to regulate mid way through ride

@Santapez I really like this Under Armour balaclava. It's thin, so not super sweaty and warm like a fleece lined one. Because it has the split material design, it's super easy to convert between full coverage, open face, and you can even pull the hood back into a gaiter.
31KhXzqwP5L._SX425_.jpg

@Santapez I really like this Under Armour balaclava. It's thin, so not super sweaty and warm like a fleece lined one. Because it has the split material design, it's super easy to convert between full coverage, open face, and you can even pull the hood back into a gaiter.
31KhXzqwP5L._SX425_.jpg

failure of a post, no link to product.

Back
Top Bottom