Winter gear must haves?

bigW

Did a 4.5 hour mostly flat road ride today, kept the pace moderate to have a consistent temp. Added one thin extra base layer as I have not adjusted to winter yet and was reminded about using latex gloves inside the lobsters by an @fidodie post. Very happy with today’s select coulda been ok below freezing as today was just above freezing

3D426844-C758-40AE-8727-D9511D7A0306.jpeg

9472FA83-F7FB-4DD4-8350-D5596AAC8294.jpeg

Ancient jacket, thin gore base layer, thin terra mar tee and terra mar silk top.

Lake boots, hiking socks, lobsters, surgical type gloves and Pearl Izumi Hood (very snug)

Leggings were Garneau medium weight.

All good here.

rick81721

Lothar
Did a 4.5 hour mostly flat road ride today, kept the pace moderate to have a consistent temp. Added one thin extra base layer as I have not adjusted to winter yet and was reminded about using latex gloves inside the lobsters by an @fidodie post. Very happy with today’s select coulda been ok below freezing as today was just above freezing

View attachment 82103

View attachment 82104

Ancient jacket, thin gore base layer, thin terra mar tee and terra mar silk top.

Lake boots, hiking socks, lobsters, surgical type gloves and Pearl Izumi Hood (very snug)

All good here.

I was only out less than 2 hrs today but was fine except for my toes. I should've gone to my heavier shoe covers - next time.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Just received my shimano mw-7 winter shoes. I ordered a size up based on reviews but I fear they may be one size too big. Do I embrace the extra room to keep the blood circulating? To give you an I idea I can fit my finger between my heel and the heel of the shoe while wearing my thickest socks. My biggest worry is if I bet a size smaller it will be too narrow for my flat, hobbit feet.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Just received my shimano mw-7 winter shoes. I ordered a size up based on reviews but I fear they may be one size too big. Do I embrace the extra room to keep the blood circulating? To give you an I idea I can fit my finger between my heel and the heel of the shoe while wearing my thickest socks. My biggest worry is if I bet a size smaller it will be too narrow for my flat, hobbit feet.

tough call - that is a bunch of room. The Lakes wide version are very wide for my pizza shaped feet (regular crust, done a little on the crispy side ty).
I think @jdog stocks some of them, and can get them quickly if not - very warm.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
tough call - that is a bunch of room. The Lakes wide version are very wide for my pizza shaped feet (regular crust, done a little on the crispy side ty).
I think @jdog stocks some of them, and can get them quickly if not - very warm.
Lake breaks the bank, bought the shinanos on sale, clearance, or whatever. I've been getting by with the gore wind stoppers but the cold eventually creeps into my toes.

Patrick

Staff member

View attachment 82103

View attachment 82104

All good here.

Glad they work for you - a quick note on the nitrile gloves:

Had a few people really hate that feeling - if your hands sweat a lot, the skin get moist. while this keeps the glove from losing
its insulating properties, taking them off can be quite a surprise - and really cold if outside.

Store an extra pair or two in your pocket,
just in case they have to come off, replace with dry, leave the others inside-out to dry. should have them anyway, in case the need to change a flat arises. no sense getting
gunk on your hands, nice clothes, and inside the expensive gloves.

Patrick

Staff member
Lake breaks the bank, bought the shinanos on sale, clearance, or whatever. I've been getting by with the gore wind stoppers but the cold eventually creeps into my toes.

i kinda made the call to not compromise here. they will last forever (i've broken the BOA stuff twice, but that is just me and a bad habit)
a C note or two got absorbed somewhere else to get them - totally worth it - esp the couple of zero degree rides.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thats a good point about carrying a pair of rubber/nitril gloves to change a flat, at least in the cold, not only to keep the gunk off your expensive gloves but to keep the wind off your exposed hands (i dont have the dexterity in winter gloves to change a tire, or at least i dont feel like i do, never had to test the theory)

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
i kinda made the call to not compromise here. they will last forever (i've broken the BOA stuff twice, but that is just me and a bad habit)
a C note or two got absorbed somewhere else to get them - totally worth it - esp the couple of zero degree rides.
The shimsno mw-7s got high reviews and that's all I've owned in regular cycling shoes. Not like my feet are going to fall out of them. What price are we talking about for the lakes?

Patrick

Staff member
The shimsno mw-7s got high reviews and that's all I've owned in regular cycling shoes. Not like my feet are going to fall out of them. What price are we talking about for the lakes?

1544050695316.png

i think they were in the $300 range. right around there plus or minus.
if you have an odd size foot, maybe he could pull some old stock. ymmv.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got some Answer Sleestaks because @stb222 said they're good. They're pretty awesome. 40 was way too hot to try them, but I was excited. They were HOT. Looking forward to trying them at 10. I love the stretch cuff, and they have much more dexterity than ski gloves I used last year, so I'm hoping they work well down low.

pygmypony

i have the same shoes and bought the proper size for my foot (48 EUR, 14 US). i ended up cutting the top half of the insole off, leaving the heel section in, and they have been a perfect fit for the last two winters!

pygmypony

Glad they work for you - a quick note on the nitrile gloves:

Had a few people really hate that feeling - if your hands sweat a lot, the skin get moist. while this keeps the glove from losing
its insulating properties, taking them off can be quite a surprise - and really cold if outside.

Store an extra pair or two in your pocket,
just in case they have to come off, replace with dry, leave the others inside-out to dry. should have them anyway, in case the need to change a flat arises. no sense getting
gunk on your hands, nice clothes, and inside the expensive gloves.
i bought these liners for my lobster gloves last winter and they've been a great addition. i wear them under my pearl lobster gloves to as low as the low high 20s with no hand warmers. colder than 25 and i need hand warmers as an add-on

Last edited:

one piece crank

But then your hands are wet and the moisture has no where to go. That’s layering rule No.1, broken right out of the gate.

I’d say choose better gloves.

Patrick

Staff member
But then your hands are wet and the moisture has no where to go. That’s layering rule No.1, broken right out of the gate.

yeah, i put in that caveat up top - they will be warm, but can get wet - to the point where the sweat collects.
becomes a problem if they need to be removed outside.
it does work.

before getting winter boots, i'd put on a sock, then plastic bag, sock, shoe.

rick81721

Lothar

yeah, i put in that caveat up top - they will be warm, but can get wet - to the point where the sweat collects.
becomes a problem if they need to be removed outside.
it does work.

I do this as well. As long as you keep the gloves on, you're fine. I take off my sleestaks for pics/bathroom breaks. Nitrile gloves only come off when i get home. Lots of sweat inside

Top Bottom