Windham any good?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Hey, my son and I were thinking of giving windham a try, but only if the trails are new school flow bermy style. Killingtons upper trails are pretty eroded and not too much fun, but the lower ones are great. Looking to see if windhams trails are more like killingtons upper Trails, or lower. Any input appreciated.

flowy and fun. go.
But be warned, there is like 4 trails.
2 are flowy. 2 are harder.
I rode only the 2 flowy ones. But they are fun enough to keep my interest all day and helped me to feel more confident on jumps. ANd they are long. Like "Hey! we are still going!" kind of long.

Why not try thunder mountain? Sounds like exactly what you're looking for and a much bigger trail network than Windham.

Thanks again guys. Have been meaning to get to Elm Ridge on the trail bike some day. Thunder mountain looks amazing, will have to check that out. Hadn't heard of RoundTop but found a vid online and agree it looks like fun. Heading up to the Cats later this summer so will check it out.

Finally got a chance yesterday to check out windham.

There are basically 4 trails.

It has great potential and I would encourage everyone to at least Check it out once. The runs are long and well designed.

I spoke to one of their staff at length about the future development and clearly they are thinking more about the summer as last winter they saw a total of 5" of snow for the entire winter.

Go check it out, basically they need more daily visits to prove to the money guys that it is worth investing in more trails.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was there yesterday also. Wilderness roll is just a blast. I rode thunder today. The Gronk another awesome high speed jump trail. Windham red dirt with lots of slate rocks mixed in. The dirt at Thunder is much nicer. I had a blast at both places.

jdog - did you ride the UCI DH and Citizens DH courses?
Yep

The citizens is pretty straightforward and by the third run I could carry some speed and flow.

The pro course is still out of my league. Ben and I rode it once. It is steep as hell but really not that hard.

The road gap looks really easy to case. The takeoff is way too low.

I'm enjoying Dh more and more and riding with people who ride a lot make it way easier.

wow... that looks so much different than when I rode that trail last year.

That camera made the jumps look way smaller. In reality the faces are big enough that you can't see over them on approach. They are a bit repetitive honestly but still fun. The berms are nice and tall and the water control is really evident. I can only guess that this trail cost them $250,000 to build. (Purely a guess). They moved an enormous amount of dirt to make this happen.

I actually preferred the Batvia Skill trail as it was stood mix of flow and rocks. It just need a few jumps.

Next up is a much needed beginner trail. They have it rough cut but they ran out of money as the last ski season was a total loss. They only saw 5" of snow accumulation for the entire season.

My gripes are basically that all the berms and jumps are exactly the same. I'd just prefer some variety.

Last edited:
I have video of Batavia also. fun trail and it just keeps going and going. I use a five ten free ride shoe. I found my feet hurting on those long runs. may need a stiffer shoe but then again it was my 5th day of riding in a row and it never was a problem in the past. weekday was super but I wonder how busy it gets on the weekend where you get stuck behind people.

That camera made the jumps look way smaller. In reality the faces are big enough that you can't see over them on approach.

No... I've ridden the trail, so I remember how big they are and I agree there is a bit of repetitiveness to them. The Gronk trail at Thunder Mtn is similar in design and flow. Hellion at Highland is nice because there is a fair amount of variety in the jumps and turns.

What I meant was all of the grass on the trail and what looks like a general lack of maintenance. The grass will keep the dirt and direct water down the center and eventually turn the jump into a rut. Once that happens, it'll be more costly to fix. My guess Gravity Logic told them this, but I suppose they haven't allocated a budget for maintenance. Also - the rocks on the jumps. When I rode it last year, everything was still nice and smooth.

As a 1 time rider now at windham, thunder mnt and highland if you like the new style flow trails thunder mnt has some great options pretty much all the blue trails are fast flowy and bermy (not my thing i hate berms, but thats cause i suck) even the more single track trails allow you to keep great flow. I talked to many people at thunder that say if they just want fast flow they go to thunder over highland as the extra 2-3 hr drive isnt worth it for them. Highland is good too and worth a visit but unless you want massive jumps and drops id skip it for thunder. Windham is meh IMO but again fast flow is not my thing batavia top part is good but to many berms at bottom gets repetative. Wilderness roll is ok but again im not really looking for jumps. Id only rec windham if you are looking for something as a day trip and looking for the jump trail. For insight on trails i prefer at each location for those who know the mountains @ windham - citizens , @ highland - maiden voyage , @ thunder - schist and wine tree (i did miss some of the other blacks as i fatigued pretty early after doing highland the day before).

Funny.. Helion at Highland is my absolute favorite as of now.
Totally agree! No brakes no worries! Highland trail crew know how and have great resources. Same goes for the past 3 years at creek. Trail crew has taken it to next level. These other parks hire developers like gravity instead of trail crew to build and maintain.

Back
Top Bottom