Wildlife

V-Dub

Wow that’s a clean print.

Was that a very fresh print or frozen in from when the temp dropped after the snow on Wednesday?
It was frozen, maybe from Thursday. It was in the Banker rd. side of the park, might have bumped into him in the fall. He's big.

rick81721

Lothar
Seeing many dead armadillos around here on bike rides. Apparently, like the salmon of Capistrano, they are in their annual migration mode. I don't want to post pics of squashed ones so here's a live one:

Nine-banded_Armadillo.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Unusual sighting on our outback ride yesterday - in addition to over 10 alligators - a spectacled caiman. These are not native to Florida. Interesting history: sale of alligators as pets was banned in 1960, so dealers found a loophole and started importing caiman from the Caribbean. Not surprisingly, they were first spotted in the wild around that time. Now there are breeding populations in counties south and east of here, however, I couldn't find any reports in Sarasota county.

20181101_105513.jpg

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Seeing many dead armadillos around here on bike rides. Apparently, like the salmon of Capistrano, they are in their annual migration mode. I don't want to post pics of squashed ones so here's a live one:

Nine-banded_Armadillo.jpg

I always liked these ugly little things, I hear they make good pets.

Are they migrating some place warm, where the beer flows like wine? Are they going to As-pen?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Unusual sighting on our outback ride yesterday - in addition to over 10 alligators - a spectacled caiman. These are not native to Florida. Interesting history: sale of alligators as pets was banned in 1960, so dealers found a loophole and started importing caiman from the Caribbean. Not surprisingly, they were first spotted in the wild around that time. Now there are breeding populations in counties south and east of here, however, I couldn't find any reports in Sarasota county.

View attachment 80124

All you need now are some anacondas to complement the invasive pythons, caiman, and snake heads.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I posted elsewhere about the invasive Cuban tree frogs. I caught one a few weeks ago and even after washing my hands, still burned the crap out of my eyes - toxic skin!

So then, you can rub that shit onto the tip of your spear or blow-dart, squeeze into your loin-cloth, and go hunt-down some caiman and pythons.

Top Bottom