Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
"Have you been to Graffiti Cliff?
An out and back off the White (four birds trail) takes you to the west end of the ridge overlooking green pond road. A wide open bluff on crags covered with lichen, watch for snakes!"

in other words, i just cleaned up this trail, and it is probably one of the best downhill runs in the park!.......you just gotta climb back out of it.
Riding down the cliff.....not recommended.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/graffiti-cliff-trail/

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Downfall on Beach Glenn East (blue) cleared.

Downfall on Righter mine, I took out enough to get through but the leaner is too much for my saw and me to do solo.

On the Hibernia Brook (lower orange), the tree with the trail sign either fell or, was pushed over....the sign is gone....I hope the idiots like their trophy. That is the third.

The rogue bypass on White down from the graveyard, straight down the hillside and intersection with orange. Someone gets great pleasure fighting me to keep that open. I think you will win, I'll pass you the torch. Hope your good,with a saw.

Last edited:

68nova200

Be advised that the state is currently clearing the powerlines at the bottom of oreland trail. Riding through there may be difficult for the next few days. Also i have been trying to maintain the weeds on the trail from the bridge to the road it will be 52 inches wide for the rest of the season. I have also sprayed for ticks in what seems to be the highest tick population in nj around that bridge...

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Folks, how well does this trail drain? Thinking on riding next Sunday, but there is rain in the forecast.

Most of the single track there drains really well, but a few sections don't. Do you know your way around? There might also be between 0 and 12 inches of snow there on Sunday.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Righter Mine along the stream is extremely icy from bottom to top. Sections of yellow from the dam to Upper Hibernia are also quite icy. Almost everything that's at elevation is good.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Will this be any good for Friday?

3 more days, no rain, and the wind is going to keep blowing.
still going to be soggy along the creek, but that is either coming or going to the lot.
more info available after tomorrow night's ride.

1551219709196.png

xc62701

It was rideable today but not very enjoyable. I went up orange over to oreland and back on the road. Some of the trail was fine but there were a lot of icy patches that made it sketchy. It was a lot of pedal and pray. I can’t wait til it melts out and we have normal trails again.

This was a good section:
C3F9CC63-F47F-491D-9A54-C53B29A39C94.jpeg

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Anyone have an idea what condition Wildcat is? I know it rained hard last night, but would like to hike there this weekend if it isn’t a total mess.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone have an idea what condition Wildcat is? I know it rained hard last night, but would like to hike there this weekend if it isn’t a total mess.

Oreland and the stuff on the other side of Green Pond was good yesterday, with just a little bit of slush/ice left in a few places. That should all be gone now. I'm hoping to head over there in a bit. If you go, I would definitely avoid yellow, new way down, and beach glen for today, maybe they'll be ok tomorrow.

It rained hard last night, but the storm didn't last long, at least here in Parsippany.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Oreland and the stuff on the other side of Green Pond was good yesterday, with just a little bit of slush/ice left in a few places. That should all be gone now. I'm hoping to head over there in a bit. If you go, I would definitely avoid yellow, new way down, and beach glen for today, maybe they'll be ok tomorrow.

It rained hard last night, but the storm didn't last long, at least here in Parsippany.
Cool, thanks.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My ride today:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2217945709

tl;dr singletrack perfect, woods roads and railbeds are somewhere in between ok and terrible.

Skip the stuff that drains poorly, like yellow to the dam, and orange toward the Hawk Watch.

Lake Ames climb - perfect
Lake Ames descent - the usual wet spots halfway down on the old woods road section, otherwise perfect
Camp - perfect
Oreland - one wet spot by the derailleur killer rock, otherwise perfect
Oreland railbed - shitty, obviously
Yellow railbed - looked shitty, took the road
That one short section of yellow after the railbed section which is always bad - looked horrific, but people rode it
Last section of yellow - perfect
Orange from Hawk Watch parking area to woods road crossing after the unmakeable - perfect
Orange after that heading toward Hawk Watch - looked bad obviously, so I took the woods road
Woods road - pretty shitty, much better than yesterday though
Four Birds - mostly fine, two puddles I walked around on the one section
Spine section of Four Birds - perfect
Orange down - the one normal wet spot was really bad, otherwise it was good, should have taken white down to cut that part out

I considered going the other way on Four Birds from the woods road and doing new way down to beach glen, but I wasn't sure about beach glen and didn't want to have to take the road back. I suspect it'll probably be good tomorrow though.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ll add....
New way down (red). Great up top real wet at bottom.
Beach Glen trail east (blue) parallel to Meriden is wet in several spots. Wet wet.
Beach Glen west / Hibernia brook from Meriden. To bat cave had some standing water in spots but surprisingly ok.
I also hit the Jeep road up to DEP site / old water tower by picatinny- all good.
Overall definitely a thumbs up.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
trails were fine, just noticed a couple toolbags parking in the batcave lot . . . (well the grass section across from the batcave lot, 3 cars managed to effectively block off the whole thing by parking parallel to the road instead of nose in like a civilized human would have done)
20190324_095152.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions