Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Wildcat Ridge Trail

Wildcat Ridge WMA.....The remediation work from the power lines appears to be finished and the rework on the dam almost complete. Yet to be installed is a signal light to control the one-way traffic on the dam. The trailhead for the Wildcat Ridge Trail (yellow), has been reopened, and is located well beyond the west side of the* dam. It is in the back of the turn-around for the emergency boat launch.

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Looks like the dam is going to remain closed until spring.
With the added fencing, there is no access to cross via foot or bike.
The water flow however appears to be shut off and so it is possible to cross the stream below the dam and bushwack your way up to the Wildcat Ridge Trail ( yellow). Another alternative is the middle stream crossing along the Righter Mine Trail which will lead you west onto the splitrock loop ( Blue) or woods road towards solar pond.

Kev

How are the trail conditions? I am considering going on a ride here some time in the next few days.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
In the area, I would suggest riding the dirt road route around Splitrock and Charlottesburg.
Park at boat launch, take splitrock north to Green,
Charlottesburg Road north about 8miles
Timberbrook Road south west
UpperHibernia south
Splitrock east back to the Dam.
A good long ride, plenty technical and no damage to trails.

In addition, its only April 1, so no effort has been made to clear the trails of downfall.

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Started going out clearing downfall. Not too much or anything real big. Let me know of any. Bummed that someone broke and took the righter mine trailhead sign on splitrock road. Those are hand made. If you see it lying in the brush, please fetch it out.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Conditions are real bad right now, water flowing everywhere, the trails are a soupy mess in many places. Tread lightly, ride the center and avoid skidding down hills.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
No trails open yet, but you can now ride the service road to the tower. No tracks on Charlotteburg Rd or the RR grade.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
before i left for Montana, the Hibernia Brook and Wildcat Ridge Trails got trimmed.

Upon my return, Steph let me know of a few downfall and the locations....thank you!
I took care of them today, on the Righter Mine , the tree was loaded with poison ivy. Time will tell how i handled that one. I also added a bunch of erosion control measures, so be aware that the traffic patterns on Righter Mine have changed and you got to take new lines.

On wildcat ridge, I also took out the down fall. The tree is hollow and loaded with ants. There are signs that the bear was likin it and in the area, so watch for that. Also added erosion control measures here.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whoever mowed the shit out of that really overgrown spot on red right by Solar Pond, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Not me...not sure who.
They had the nj trail series a few weeks back...maybe them?

there was a major downfall on BGT past the land scraper garage that my bud Jason P and his Brother took out last week. It was covered in poison ivy. Anyway, they backed me up while away.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They had the nj trail series a few weeks back

Is that what all the orange paint was from? It was done sometime after August 19th.

there was a major downfall on BGT past the land scraper garage that my bud Jason P and his Brother took out last week. It was covered in poison ivy. Anyway, they backed me up while away.

Awesome! I haven't been on BGT in a few weeks. Everything is in really great shape right now, minus a little overgrowth.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
If a tree falls on a trail, but never slowed a ride, did it ever really happen?
Fawk yes, all the time!!
The last wind storm blew down several....HBT, BGT and Oreland Grade...all clear now.
The access for the BGT on Meridan Road also trimmed to improve safety and sight lines for the road crossing.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Scored well at the 84 lumber scrap pile.... $45 for all.....Wildcat is going to get some skinny bridges.

20160923_131654.jpg

20160923_122555.jpg

Kaleidopete

How are you on nails? I've got about 8 pounds of 2.5 inch long ones if you can use them for this project.
Pete

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
One of the challenges with trailwork at Wildcat is addressing all users, and that includes motorized. Ignore this fact and your work won't last long. This is an example of water crossing that while now dry, becomes quite a long span of frozen ice and water that has soaked many a shoe. So a bridge is now installed, but still leaves room for motorized to pass through. To help stop the erosion that clogs the stream, a new bank is created with downfall. This retains the dirt, and makes a nice jump too.

20160925_154716.jpg

20160925_154735.jpg

20160925_154756.jpg

Kaleidopete

One of the challenges with trailwork at Wildcat is addressing all users, and that includes motorized. Ignore this fact and your work won't last long. This is an example of water crossing that while now dry, becomes quite a long span of frozen ice and water that has soaked many a shoe. So a bridge is now installed, but still leaves room for motorized to pass through. To help stop the erosion that clogs the stream, a new bank is created with downfall. This retains the dirt, and makes a nice jump too.

Great job!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions