Wildcat in Wildcat

Panhead

Came across this one day snowshoeing. I had a close up of one but can't find it anymore.

Attachments

• IMG950600.jpg
    IMG950600.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 383

rick81721

Lothar
lol....My father has been trapping for the state of NJ for the last 35 years and still does...He has snaired them many times. and they are not the size of a house cat....

Next time he traps one send it for DNA analysis. It would be a first if verified.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As Sparta Brad pointed out previously, just one was killed by a car in Connecticut in 2011. There is physical evidence. So at least one dot in that graphic is correct for the North East. If one (or 6 according to that graphic) made it why is it so hard to believe others have as well?

Explanation by the authorities was something like this random one migrated through Canada and made it to CT. Mountain lions were exterminated East of the Rockies by the early 1900s. Now they're are many confirmed physical and photo evidence in the MidWest. They are coming East for sure.

Just because they migrated from the West to East turns them into bobcats?!

Last edited:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even with a gun your chances of surviving a mountain lion attack are not good. They will pounce on the back of you neck and paralyze you. By the time you take your pistol out of your drawers, you will be cat meat. They will probably play around with you before they eat you and you will die a slow painful death; hopefully you bleed out first.

A mountain bike helmet (not the roadie kind) has been proven to be more affective against a mountain lion attack than a handgun.

All this said, in California, only 3 people have been eaten by mountain lions since 1986. In the East Coast, many more people die from collisions with deer and lyme disease spread via deer.

I read all this on the Interweb. Must be true.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
I read an article in a mountain biking mag about a woman attacked by a mountain lion in California while biking. She was torn up but survived - perhaps her helmet saved her? Was impressed that the cat nailed her while she was biking at a pretty good clip.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Btw, I'm pretty sure I see a lot more deer per hour riding my bike than hunters do sitting in their bushes. I can't say for sure if this analogy applies mountain lions although I tend to think the answer is yes by the amount of ground I can cover on my bike. Sometime I wonder why hunters don't ride bikes. They would catch so much more deer.

rick81721

Lothar
True story - I went deer hunting in Wisconsin 2 weeks ago and spent 12 hours in deer stands. When I got back , went for a 1 hr bike ride and saw 3x more deer in that one hour than I saw in 12 hrs hunting. Didn't see any mountain lions tho

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions