Wildcat Group Ride 1/13 Sunday

FitmanNJ

Ok, we are a go for tomorrow. I was out riding this morning and trails are firm, fast and frozen. Temps are down and Camelbak freeze could occur, you may want to tuck hydration pack under jacket for start of ride or bring bottles. Temps will warm up as we ride, don't be afraid of the cold.
See you in the morning!
Iggy, did you see any ice when you did your recon ride? I have a wheelset with studded tires, but will unstudded tires be fine in all likelihood? Thanks, and see you tomorrow morning.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Iggy, did you see any ice when you did your recon ride? I have a wheelset with studded tires, but will unstudded tires be fine in all likelihood? Thanks, and see you tomorrow morning.
I actually rode Stephens, so can't say for sure how much ice is in Wildcat. Having been there last week, I'm gonna say there should not be enough ice to warrenty studs but @JimN would probably know better.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I wouldn't bring studded tires tomorrow. I don't expect there too be too much ice.

FitmanNJ

I wouldn't bring studded tires tomorrow. I don't expect there too be too much ice.
When did you last have a chance to ride Wildcat, Jim (the regular Wednesday ride, I'm hoping)? I ask because I got the dates mixed-up and was out there LAST Sunday.:rolleyes: There were several pools of water (especially on the north end of the park, and that stretch of trail just east of the batcave parking lot) that were so deep that I couldn't see the trail underneath. We've had a pretty good week of dryness, so these "bad" places may have evaporated, but ?? Maybe I'll bring two wheelsets and make a call in the morning.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When did you last have a chance to ride Wildcat, Jim (the regular Wednesday ride, I'm hoping)?

Yeah I was last there on Wednesday. I did some other stuff nearby today and it was all fine. The yellow trail near the reservoir will probably have a lot of ice because it's been really wet lately. The light blue blazed Beach Glen trail should be fine on the single track except for 2-3 really small puddles, but the woods road sections will have some bigger frozen puddles. I don't know what loop we are doing yet because I like to wait until the last minute and wing it, but I don't plan to do any ice skating. I'm not running studded tires and I don't really expect that anyone else will either. You're free to do that if you want, but I expect the ride tomorrow to be 99% ice free.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Current conditions look great. A dusting of snow (my grass is still green) and mid 20s. A few light flurries still falling. See ya'll there.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Much such. Thanks all for coming out and hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Thanks @pooriggy for organizing, thanks @JimN and Bill @graveyardman67 for leading, thanks @UtahJoe and Dave? for sweeping. And thanks Steph for the Brownies and helping even if you are loud. See ya all next month.
20190113_111423.jpg
20190113_111131.jpg
20190113_090854.jpg
20190113_111434.jpg
20190113_110838.jpg
20190113_121825.jpg
20190113_090901.jpg
20190113_111814.jpg

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Great ride today everyone! Sorry i didn't get to talk to too many people. I was too busy sucking wind and then pounding brownies! Thanks @JimN and @sarcaro ! Wildcat always kicks my butt with the combo of tech and climbing. I'm going to try to organize a big group ride at Sourlands at some point this winter. If you liked the big rock features on Oreland today, Sourlands is for you. Below is me. Thanks for the photo and good seeing you @THATmanMANNY!
20190113_111736.jpg

THATmanMANNY

140BD201-8625-418D-9C81-DAE4C9F087FB.jpeg

@gmb3 hey man that shot ain’t free and I look better! Thanks to the homie (identify yourself) for this photo. Good seeing some OGs and meeting some new. Always good to ride a new place. Thanks to all leaders, sweepers, builders the decent Norm i kid i kid, coordinators, bakers, @UtahJoe @graveyardman67 my dropper post woes, ladies looking good, the men were meh.

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great ride today, thanks everyone for coming out! And thanks to the Wildcat Wednesday regulars that showed up. It's a lot easier to run a ride like this when there are some people that are familiar with the trails.

Well done - and amazing coordination for the groups to meet at hawk watch. Great pic @Mitch.

This obviously took extensive planning. It's not like you can just show up and stand around in the parking lot in the freezing cold, eating brownies and come up with a plan at the last minute to make this happen.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Forgot to add that if you did this ride and were thinking, "I heard Wildcat was hard, where were all the rocks?" You should hit me up for another tour.

@THATmanMANNY ^^^

If you couldn't make this ride and want a tour of the easy stuff or the hard stuff, hit me up. I'm happy to show anybody around these trails or the other stuff nearby if these trails aren't hard enough for you.

Top Bottom