Wild Cat Wednesday!

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
By the way, I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but the last few times I've ridden the people with bug spray on were getting the ticks. I haven't used anything and no ticks. Conspiracy?
I used no bug spray on last tm , had a tick on my neck but I was also in heavy vegetation so prob just coincidence

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Good night on the rocks, including a @xc62701 and @KenS sighting!

thanks for letting me sweep!

It was great seeing everyone in the lot when I finished. I haven't ridden there in ages and was blown away by the work @trailhead and company have accomplished since. I'll have to make a Wednesday beat down before the summer is out, especially since my BFF @sarcaro is a regular. Wildcat is true mountain biking.

Yesterday I had all of these thoughts at one time or another during my ride:

"This is among the best trails in NJ"
"What the &!^%$ am I doing on a rigid SS"
"I love rocks"
"Why do I subject myself to this hell"
"I love rocks"
"Thank goodness for Trailforks"
"That was the dumbest thing I've done lately"
"Wow that was a lot of rock armoring"
"I hate rocks"
"There are more rocks in my field of vision than the entire state of NJ south of Rt 70"
"Who rides this?"
"Mjolnir lives up to it's name"
"By "multi-use" on the Red trail (Meriden North) they must mean 'hiking', 'mountain goat walking' and 'bike carrying' because no human can ride up this hell"
"That was the best ride I've had lately"

Last edited:

Stef

❤ Brownie Biatch ❤
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was great seeing everyone in the lot when I finished. I haven't ridden there is ages and was blown away by the work @trailhead and company have accomplished since. I'll have to make a Wednesday beat down before the summer is out, especially since my BFF @sarcaro is a regular. Wildcat is true mountain biking.

Yesterday I had all of these thoughts at one time or another during my ride:

"This is among the best trails in NJ"
"What the &!^%$ am I doing on a rigid SS"
"I love rocks"
"Why do I subject myself to this hell"
"I love rocks"
"Thank goodness for Trailforks"
"That was the dumbest thing I've done lately"
"Wow that was a lot of rock armoring"
"I hate rocks"
"There are more rocks in my field of vision than the entire state of NJ south of Rt 70"
"Who rides this?"
"Mjolnir lives up to it's name"
"By "multi-use" on the Red trail (Meriden North) they must mean 'hiking', 'mountain goat walking' and 'bike carrying' because no human can ride up this hell"
"That was the best ride I've had lately"

I LOVE ROCKS, BFF

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yeah, you're only supposed to ride down that trail, not up :p

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Yeah, you're only supposed to ride down that trail, not up :p

That was blatantly obvious pretty quickly but I was determined to chill at the Hawkwatch mid-ride and didnt have time for a full loop out to the reservoir. I planned my loop with tf, which shows the preferred direction as up:
1560445057474.png

Besides that, Trailforks was spot-on and kept me less lost than normal.

Stef

❤ Brownie Biatch ❤
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That was blatantly obvious pretty quickly but I was determined to chill at the Hawkwatch mid-ride and didnt have time for a full loop out to the reservoir. I planned my loop with tf, which shows the preferred direction as up:
View attachment 97423

yeah there is a reason it is called "NEW WAY DOWN"

BPaze

@trailhead rode KDM woods segment(name on trailforks) which was heavily overgrown and could def use some trimming. First time I rode that section great alternative to easy way up.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG

Well, its still good cause you got to look at is closely and see the lines. Most see it first time hanging on for dear life and either surviving or crash and burn.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Well, its still good cause you got to look at is closely and see the lines. Most see it first time hanging on for dear life and either surviving or crash and burn.

For sure! Riding down that will take some serious pre-ride and re-ride trips before sending it. Really nice work.

Any story behind the rocks below btw? This was such a fun section of trail too. The rock armoring in Wildcat is a thing of beauty.
20190612_172212.jpg

20190612_172158.jpg

BPaze

It's officially now called "Jim's Banana Hammock"
So that is where that trail is. I am confident I do not want to know the story on that name. Glad I added that to my loop, but man I was worried about ticks going through there. Hoping to ride it more often to help keep the growth back.

Hopefully one day I can join the Thursday ride it just doesn't fit my current schedule, but that actually may be changing. In the meantime, I have been exploring solo.

Ashcor

So that is where that trail is. I am confident I do not want to know the story on that name. Glad I added that to my loop, but man I was worried about ticks going through there. Hoping to ride it more often to help keep the growth back.

Hopefully one day I can join the Thursday ride it just doesn't fit my current schedule, but that actually may be changing. In the meantime, I have been exploring solo.
yeah been meaning to get out there and trim Jim's banana hammock but life had just been too busy.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Any story behind the rocks below btw? This was such a fun section of trail too. The rock armoring in Wildcat is a thing of beauty.

The Rock Gap is natural with only the approach and departure altered. If I remember correctly, that is Monga work.
He left the bench cutting for me.

xc62701

@xc62701 where is said overgrowth :)
There's nothing bad yet but the trails are definitely closing in. I was thinking about the start of orange from the gate up towards the hawk watch for one... Banana hammock you can't even see the trail any more in the valley. There's not much to do there that just needs traffic.

Top Bottom