Wide tire recommendation

Gents,
Just about done building my first set of wheels and I wanna take advantage of the wider profile with new tires. They are stans arch mk3s and stans recommends tires between 2.25 and 2.5. Just polling to see what guys have had luck with. I ride a mix of trails in Jersey and I've had luck with maxxis ikons in the past.

choop

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 in the back
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front

I have been riding this combo for a bit over a month and really like it. The front has a ton of grip when you throw it into a corner and the back accelerates really quick.

scotth

I ride 2.4 Schwalbe Hans Dampf. Great tire so far. Probably not the fastest roller, but love the traction it offers without being the most aggressive tire.

SSmtbr

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 in the back
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front

Second this! I have Arch MK3 rims as well and this is a great setup. The Ikon 2.35 on the rear in my Crave SS was a tight squeeze between the chainstays but it still fits without rubbing.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I like a Minion DHF on the front and currently have a High Roller 2 out back. The HR2 is not a fast rolling tire. I've been thinking about trying the aggressor, ikon, or even the minion ss out back.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Minion DHF 2.5 EXO in the front Aggressor in the back, DD casing. The places I ride do not forgive lesser tires.

Fat Trout

I've moved to bigger but for a while I ran Ardents front and back and liked it. 2.4 front and 2.25 back.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Im running a 2.6 nobby nic up front and 2.4 ardent in the rear on my scalpel and love the combo.

Fat Trout

Is the nobby nic a real aggressive tread?
I'm no expert but I'd call Nobby Nic's kind of a general tread, I like them...some people don't. A little aggressive but not too bad. Separately, I ran 2.6 maxxis rekon's on my 27.5 giant anthem last year and really liked them. I felt like they were a good combination of being like plus tires but feeling more like normal tires. I liked that tread too, agressive enough but not too agressive. I've ridden allamuchy with nobby nic's, rekons and ardents and liked them all. If you aren't fully sold on the larger tires or you can't fit larger in the rear, Ken's suggestion was a good one with a 2.6 up front and a 2.4 rear. Whatever you buy, I'd recommend the puncture resistant version snakeskin/EXO or whatever.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
They changed the NN pattern recently and I really dig it. Not super aggro but considerably more than a Ralph. I didn't like the older tread at all.

Top Bottom