Why is H2H hurting when MASS is doing well?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Someone at Fair Hills was telling me about that course. Said it's pitched on the side of the mountain behind a school or something like that, and is apparently relatively technical.

around the 2:30 mark the side hill cut becomes obvious - 2:55 is the tough, downhill switchback.
at the bottom of mexican bowtie is a rock garden, and some alternate lines through the low area.
the course comes out of that area with a straight-up double track with some rocks.

mostly fast - some skinny bridges (not sure if they are on the course) - narrow gates - both upright, and cut trees, and log-overs.

rick81721

Lothar
around the 2:30 mark the side hill cut becomes obvious - 2:55 is the tough, downhill switchback.
at the bottom of mexican bowtie is a rock garden, and some alternate lines through the low area.
the course comes out of that area with a straight-up double track with some rocks.

mostly fast - some skinny bridges (not sure if they are on the course) - narrow gates - both upright, and cut trees, and log-overs.

Why do people put their riding videos to music? It got so annoying I couldn't get past 1 minute. Would rather hear sounds of the bike and commentary from the rider.

Mountain Bike Mike

Someone at Fair Hills was telling me about that course. Said it's pitched on the side of the mountain behind a school or something like that, and is apparently relatively technical.

Its a very diverse course packed in to a very small area.... starts out with tight flowing singletrack with log overs and then traverses across the “pitch” with some loose marbly downs and ups and then back to flowy tight singletrack with some punchy little sections. Then it changes to a more wide open switch back flow trail with more gradual ups / downs followed by the Mexican bowtie which is a super fast loose and technical tight rocky switch back descent. Then you climb a fireroad climb for a minute followed by a quick punch climb to a flowy tight / tricky descent which brings you to the bottom along the creek where two rock gardens are. Then you climb all the way back up to the top where you are back on tight tricky singletrack with small punch ups and downs...

What makes this course challenging is there is very little room for recovery. The sections where you’re off the gas require full attention and bike handling which keeps your HR up.

To be fast on this course you have to have really solid fitness, bike handling skills and know how to be efficient.

It can make you hurt

wlee

I am not racing these days, but in the past, it was a big turn off when cat 2 went from about 18 miles to 12 miles. I am not as fit now as my race days, but I still wouldn't go to a race that's 12 miles. If I am making the drive, I want a longer race. I like that H2H has the endurance option this year, but it's from one extreme to the other. MASS is typically a longer race, and less laps because they're at big parks with miles of trails...that's a lot more fun.

I think MASS races are at destinations, where as people aren't traveling far to ride Lewis Morris (or insert any other NJ park here). It's hard enough to ride the same home parks on the weekends so to race them is even less exciting.
I agree Totally with Mare, I raced for about 8 years. Its hard to justify being almost a full day away from the family to race a cat 2 race thats 12 miles. This year I started getting the itch again and saw some of the times and distances at the Ringwood race and was totally turned off, Heck seemed like a short track race which are awesome and half the money. Also the Mrs didnt want to come because she says I see you leave, come around once then once more and its over, maybe make the laps much shorter but add a few more so the fans can be all around the couse, Thats what was great about short track. Since Im not in "Race" shape if im gonna be gone most of the day I rather do a 3-4 ride and save the money. Also not a fan of the start times being moved around. I always felt Cat 1 guys should go first, they earned it and as soon as they take off start the Cat 2 guys, most have some experience so they wont be an issue when the Cat 1 guys catch us and we will be spread out alot by the time they do then let the cat 3 guys go. I see to many podiums missing people because they didnt want to stick around so late in the day. I have zero clue on promoting a race so not sure if that would actually work but I have been to a couple road races and they start rise and shine. Hopefully things will change cause I miss the race scene. And the new Endurance class is awesome but I rather do 1.5-2 hours and Im good like we used to.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hopefully things will change cause I miss the race scene. And the new Endurance class is awesome but I rather do 1.5-2 hours and Im good like we used to.
Move up to Cat 1, that will give you 1.5-2hrs of racing. 8yrs as a cat2???? You don't want to race, you want a group ride with numbers on your bike;)
Come out to races Willy, we miss you.

wlee

I raced 8 years but year 1 I did just the last 2 races and got hooked. I did cat 3 for 2 years and it was very competitive and was top 5-6 and on the box a couple times. I then moved up to cat 2 for a couple years and did the full schedule. Had a great time banging bars with many friends I still ride with. Got hurt and started backing it down a bit cause my family responsibilities comes first being a single parent and only did select races mainly some of the longer ones because they were just more fun. I’m no where near a cat 1 racer. You guys have big time dedication which is great but won’t work for me ,Life gets complicated so I only get 2 maybe 3 rides a week in if that and November to march only ride once a week cause I do a lot of pheasant hunting with my dogs. And I’m ok with that because that’s my other passion. As for I don’t want to race and want a group ride with a number plate amigo not true. I find myself enjoying the riding more the last few years because it’s just for fun and I’m not stressing picking vacations around racing or giving up family time for it. I just ride and enjoy it now. I was thinking cause I’m getting the itch but the new format just isn’t getting me excited. I’m ok with it maybe soon I will again.

wlee

Move up to Cat 1, that will give you 1.5-2hrs of racing. 8yrs as a cat2???? You don't want to race, you want a group ride with numbers on your bike;)
Come out to races Willy, we miss you.
I miss you guys also iggy but 1.5-2 hrs should be a Cat 2 race not a Cat 1. In my opinion.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I miss you guys also iggy but 1.5-2 hrs should be a Cat 2 race not a Cat 1. In my opinion.
What is disappointing is the fact that we where in your backyard a few weeks ago and put together exactly what you're looking for and we didn't see you. The avg. time for cat 2 45+ was 1:29. The 19+ results where similar.
http://www.mtbnj.com/moochmadness/results_mooch_madness_2018.html

We will be at Stewart on June 16th, with a course that will probably yield about a 1:30 avg time for cat 2s. It's a fun loop, maybe we will see you there;)

wlee

What is disappointing is the fact that we where in your backyard a few weeks ago and put together exactly what you're looking for and we didn't see you. The avg. time for cat 2 45+ was 1:29. The 19+ results where similar.
http://www.mtbnj.com/moochmadness/results_mooch_madness_2018.html

We will be at Stewart on June 16th, with a course that will probably yield about a 1:30 avg time for cat 2s. It's a fun loop, maybe we will see you there;)
Family commitments didn’t allow me to race at mooch. That park is my cup of tea but family first and same for June 16 th.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting to note, Saturday, June 16th will see a MASS race in south jerz and an H2H race just north of north jerz...
As of Wednesday morning:
MASS - Challenger has 173 pre reg'd. Closes Wednesday night.
H2H - Stewart PI Mousetrap has 165 pre reg'd. Closes Thursday Evening.
Click here to come play bikes at Stewart.

Top Bottom