Why is H2H hurting when MASS is doing well?

Mountain Bike Mike

Yeah, I think it's evolving though. Remember, there are a fair amount of kids who have never riden anywhere but their driveway or a sidewalk. Also, I think the first year was overly cautious. If they can race at LewMo, the ST course should be fair game.. I hope this changes. A fall NICA season would change participation as well.

Would love to see some of the CX minded coaches and parents pull kids in that direction and or introduce road to them...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yeah, I think it's evolving though. Remember, there are a fair amount of kids who have never riden anywhere but their driveway or a sidewalk. Also, I think the first year was overly cautious. If they can race at LewMo, the ST course should be fair game.. I hope this changes. A fall NICA season would change participation as well.

Now that your have a feel for what it takes, would a fall season need to be 'nica branded' ?
go all rogue, Let the Kids Rock Series - Cowboy Baby!

i got a feeling you and mike are going to need the summer off work to get this rolling.
paid community sabbatical project.

Robin

@fidodie NJ NICA is considering moving from a spring league to a fall league. Can only be one season during a year...and won't happen for a little bit of time but it's coming...

Mountain Bike Mike

Now that your have a feel for what it takes, would a fall season need to be 'nica branded' ?
go all rogue, Let the Kids Rock Series - Cowboy Baby!

i got a feeling you and mike are going to need the summer off work to get this rolling.
paid community sabbatical project.

NICA - C is not for cookie... C is definitely not for Mountain Bike

Cycling - Strider, BMX, MTB, CX, Road.....

Think way bigger picture.... I hope to be around this for a while... My oldest is in 6th grade and seems to enjoy it so far.. I can only imagine he could do this until he graduates high school.. That's 6 years of coaching.... Then when he's in 12th grade, my youngest is in 6th grade and the potential for him to follow suit is likely with the right support.

I would love to see NICA NJ injected and intertwined with USA BMX, H2H / MASS, NJ CX, Road racing / crits and fondos.... BUT THAT IS LIGHT YEARS AWAY.... I'll be at this weekend's race... swing by the T2 / P2 tents and say hi.

choop

NICA - C is not for cookie... C is definitely not for Mountain Bike

Cycling - Strider, BMX, MTB, CX, Road.....

Think way bigger picture.... I hope to be around this for a while... My oldest is in 6th grade and seems to enjoy it so far.. I can only imagine he could do this until he graduates high school.. That's 6 years of coaching.... Then when he's in 12th grade, my youngest is in 6th grade and the potential for him to follow suit is likely with the right support.

I would love to see NICA NJ injected and intertwined with USA BMX, H2H / MASS, NJ CX, Road racing / crits and fondos.... BUT THAT IS LIGHT YEARS AWAY.... I'll be at this weekend's race... swing by the T2 / P2 tents and say hi.

I think there is a ton to learn for kids every ever discipline w/in cycling. A couple of months ago I was on the rollers and the kid says he wants to try. He is up and rollering w/in a few minutes. He stays on them for about 20 minutes. He does it a few more times over the course of a week. The next ride out in the woods I see an immediate difference in his pedaling and his ability to pedal longer instead of the pedal/coast that is a lot of mtb. If it was summer time I think the same could have been accomplished on the road. Next up for him is a bmx bike to help him get his front wheel up for logs and hops. After riding in the woods w/ roadies, mtber's and old bmx dudes, I really think a well rounded rider has the best chance for success, fun, and longevity in the sport as they can jump on different bikes as they want and avoid burn out.

As to what NICA kids can handle, the cat 3 juniors handled the cat 3 ringwood course just fine w/ the normal amount of hiccups. I think the middle school and high school kids will be just fine with more "intense" courses. Getting the NICA kids involved in other disciplines is important. Have you looked at any junior divisions in crits the past few years. Ghost town. Thank goodness for the NJCX project getting kids into cross, otherwise the fall CX junior divisions would be just about empty too.

Mountain Bike Mike

I think there is a ton to learn for kids every ever discipline w/in cycling. A couple of months ago I was on the rollers and the kid says he wants to try. He is up and rollering w/in a few minutes. He stays on them for about 20 minutes. He does it a few more times over the course of a week. The next ride out in the woods I see an immediate difference in his pedaling and his ability to pedal longer instead of the pedal/coast that is a lot of mtb. If it was summer time I think the same could have been accomplished on the road. Next up for him is a bmx bike to help him get his front wheel up for logs and hops. After riding in the woods w/ roadies, mtber's and old bmx dudes, I really think a well rounded rider has the best chance for success, fun, and longevity in the sport as they can jump on different bikes as they want and avoid burn out.

As to what NICA kids can handle, the cat 3 juniors handled the cat 3 ringwood course just fine w/ the normal amount of hiccups. I think the middle school and high school kids will be just fine with more "intense" courses. Getting the NICA kids involved in other disciplines is important. Have you looked at any junior divisions in crits the past few years. Ghost town. Thank goodness for the NJCX project getting kids into cross, otherwise the fall CX junior divisions would be just about empty too.

barney-stinson.gif

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Now let’s keep it simple. Fliers in the local shops. I have never once seen H2H advertisement in a shop. Isn’t that where most potential mtb racers may be hanging out these days?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
True, but that was before we added the full Lake Loop. If we had to sanitize it for kids, we can do that. I would love to make this happen, even though I know it would be a big task.

As I recall, none of the NICA kids that showed up for the ST Races had any issues with the course. Maybe just hold a kids race outside of NICA to give the kids a stepping stone into H2H?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I wanted to race so bad in 2015 but no one knew anything about it. Finally Pat from Trek Middletown told me about a series and I googled it. Why can’t someone walk into a shop and see some race advertisement?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You want shops to promote racing? We get about 1% of the market come through our doors. You guys should post flyers around Amazon.
Amazon for cat 1 & 2s, yes...potential cat 3s come into shop looking for a 100oz hydration pak and full face helmet for epic rides at Lewis Morris. No?

Top Bottom