Why is cx racing becoming less popular?

Dairyman

Everything I read online implies that cx racing is becoming less popular. What is the scene like in our area? The cx sub section hasn’t has activity since 17 when the season ended which makes sense.

Just in case you have never seen this series.

Because enduro downhill and bmx racing is more fun then watching hamsters blooding the wheel.

Can you just leave these cross conversations alone.
Your asking me to be not me. This is an open public forum No? 90% of my post are deadpan and hope that we are not sanitizing the site. Are we? I mean really I haven't posted in a cx post in like 2 years if you have been following.

Because enduro downhill and bmx racing is more fun then watching hamsters blooding the wheel.
A cross race is way more fun to watch. A lot of reasons why, but the main one is seeing the most of the course from one single vantage point. I went to the downhill US cup or whatever many moons ago and it was fun, but not as fun as watching a cross race.

I tried to figure this out a couple years ago, I think the final answer to all my research is that it the northeast has more venues competing for racers every weekend, which makes local, smaller races less attended. If you’re good at searching on the forum you should be able to find it.

Your asking me to be not me. This is an open public forum No? 90% of my post are deadpan and hope that we are not sanitizing the site. Are we? I mean really I haven't posted in a cx post in like 2 years if you have been following.

It's just not productive. And look at the numbers. Cross is far more popular than enduro or bmx racing. So it's not like you're exactly being accurate there.

Are cross numbers really going down? I am not sure they are. There are more races than ever, so it may just be that people are spreading out. Could be the same argument about MTB racing but I'm not sure that MTB racing isn't getting lower numbers.

@pearl I would argue till the cows come home, for me cross is like watching paint dry or grass grow.
The 3 venues I stated are to ME are way way more exciting to watch. Throw in a red bull in Virgin, Utah and I might make a mess in my pants. Watching risk over endurance is way more exciting to me. I came from growing up in moto so it may have more to my influence. I also appreciate those endurance junkies it's just not much fun to watch like cross to ME.

It's just not productive. And look at the numbers. Cross is far more popular than enduro or bmx racing. So it's not like you're exactly being accurate there.
I'd beg to differ
Bmx is rising again
Enduro is putting up some big numbers. They are coming out of grass roots right now and center stage. Probably the best format racing right now.

Enduro is putting up some big numbers. They are coming out of grass roots right now and center stage. Probably the best format racing right now.

Nittany gets like 800 registered racers every year. What is the biggest enduro we have seen locally?

The best format comment is obviously a subjective opinion (yeah I know that's redundant). Hey maybe I agree. But using objective measures, like registered racers, that statement can't really be supported.

Nittany local really?
Also helps to be first out of the gate.

Look at the age groups in enduro and BMX what's the largest group. Not 40 something being the largest group, hello CX MTBxc. Yes nica is exciting to see and maybe the birth of a new xc movement which is hopeful.

@pearl Watching risk over endurance is way more exciting to me.

Endurance? The reason why I race CX and not MTB is because it isn't endurance.

Saying CX isn't fun to watch is like saying Soccer isn't fun to watch. You're just not interested in the sport. I'd rather watch CX than Baseball/Football/Soccer but I can relate to CX.

But even if I was all into Enduro/Downhill/MTB, it's a horrible spectator sport. CX is extremely friendly spectating for both racers and non-racers. Everything else is 5 seconds of spectating, hours of waiting.

Endurance? The reason why I race CX and not MTB is because it isn't endurance.

Saying CX isn't fun to watch is like saying Soccer isn't fun to watch. You're just not interested in the sport. I'd rather watch CX than Baseball/Football/Soccer but I can relate to CX.

But even if I was all into Enduro/Downhill/MTB, it's a horrible spectator sport. CX is extremely friendly spectating for both racers and non-racers. Everything else is 5 seconds of spectating, hours of waiting.
We are so far apart yet we can still be friends. Trump has truly made America great again :)

Well that didn't take long.....

Granted, I've only racing CX for a few years now, but I think there is a perceived drop in participation when in fact there are more options available. Most weekends between September and mid November there are 3-4 choices each weekend within a 90 minute drive, in addition to the major weekend events like Gloucester, NoHo, Dccx, Providence not Providence, Rochester, etc.

I think several groups made a good effort this year to bring some of the fun and silliness back.

Also, the season "ended" earlier this year with Nationals being in Reno instead of Hartford.

#CXisComing
#HandupsAreNotACrime

glad matty reminded us he hates cross, i thought after 2 years maybe something changed?

the worst part about going to the enduro downhill events is all the bros with the flat brim hats talking about how BRO I HUCKED THAT YESTERDAY JUST LIKE THAT YUP I KILLED IT then post IG videos of themselves bunny hopping a log with techno music in slow mo and it looks like this
tenor.gif

wow bro you kilt it

no doubt the guys you see on Red Bull and in these US downhill events are awesome, hell i love that video of that dude danny hart, but hell its hard to get excited when nothing of that level is anywhere near the northeast. i could totally be wrong but i don't recall any large events with world talent showing up like the events you mentioned. while the UCI cross races have people from all over the country and more often the world throwing down in your backyard.

early vote for winter shoes thread 2018

Back
Top Bottom