Why do I ride better when I fatten up?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Just curious. My power stays relatively consistent on a slight incline through the season but my weight seems to go down and then up. I always seem to be in the “meat” of the powerband when I am 195-197 vs 187 which I was a month ago. I ate better then, I eat like shit at the moment. What’s the logic here?

xc62701

Just curious. My power stays relatively consistent on a slight incline through the season but my weight seems to go down and then up. I always seem to be in the “meat” of the powerband when I am 195-197 vs 187 which I was a month ago. I ate better then, I eat like shit at the moment. What’s the logic here?
Your body hates you when you punish it :)

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I have maybe winded myself twice this season. I started at 245 my pre baby weight was 190. I still have stamina for days but I can't seem to push my body to the point where I'm winded. Maybe endurance is something you retain longer then fitness...???

Yeah no that's all bs lol

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
This happens to me as cross season developed two years ago. Never was the weight at the beginning of the year. Never felt slower.

Dingo

Post up your test results when your 59, and we can compare notes.

I know for sure less is better. Depends on a lot of chit, water retention due to health issues or just crappy eating with too much salt.

For me 185# skinny as a post was the best. Now 215 and it sucks. Sucks that I cannot get back to 185.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Aside form recovery, another thing to consider is how you ride. If you're naturally a gear masher instead of a spinner when you ride (and to some extent you probably are just by virtue of how many miles you've ridden on a SS historically) then the extra weight may help you go faster where it matters on hilly courses. Either way, though, I wouldn't get myself too wrapped around it if I were you. This shit isn't your job, so don't overthink it - if you feel good on the bike at a given weight that allows you to have a normal non-monkish life, stick with that. It's not all about the weight. You're already a strong rider and unless you stop altogether and just spend all your free time eating donuts instead, you're going to stay a strong rider even if it's at a slightly higher weight.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom