Who likes to smoke their meat?

@Patrick is that the Weber Performer serial #00001?

You need a rib rack, that will def help to get air flow.

I put a small water pan in the center, then put the baskets in or use the snake method around. I think I normally run 2/3s open on the bottom and 1/2 to 3/4 up top.

Ribs looks real good. I had hopes of smoking something this weekend, but it never happened. I’ve been wanting to spatchcock a chicken to try it out.

i didn't even think to use the rack!

yes - it is ancient! it matches the old avocado refrigerator in the garage!!!! :D

i didn't want the drippings ending up all over the bottom of the kettle.
wonder if i could get the water pan from the rocky mtn under there with some al foil?
then use a rack, and bend the ribs a bit to drip in the pan?

i had the upper vents cracked enough to see they were open. bottom at about 1/2.

OK - so the heat stayed under 250 for a long time - like 5 hours without too much charcoal - added a few bricks and went 7.
the small internal space, and relatively air tight kettle probably made a difference there. also, i had
two charcoal baskets - one died out, so if two were going it may have overheated (or maybe there
is only so much O2, so maybe not)

anyway - the ribs that were nearest the heat came out great - fall off the bone, melt in your mouth.
the ones on the far side were moist, but not nearly as tender. decent smoke ring and flavor.
purchased rib rub was lacking any punch.

looking for a riser now - i see a 10" insert with a rotisserie.

hot side was on the right - see the difference!

View attachment 96263View attachment 96264
Interesting, so the ones on the left were closer to the bricks? The one on the right appears to have great shrinkage. Also why the foil? Did you wrap? 7 hrs is a long time for ribs, but seems like it worked out. I have some extra rib stands. Bought a set of 6 at one time thinking I'd go big. Will drop them off this week as I going down your way to see Tim.

The color is awesome, shows how solid webers are made. Wished I bought a Weber grill. Bought one of those fancy high-end ones and now procuring parts is not easy and expensive. I just put in a foil turkey pan underneath. Seems to do the job well

i didn't even think to use the rack!

yes - it is ancient! it matches the old avocado refrigerator in the garage!!!! :D

i didn't want the drippings ending up all over the bottom of the kettle.
wonder if i could get the water pan from the rocky mtn under there with some al foil?
then use a rack, and bend the ribs a bit to drip in the pan?

i had the upper vents cracked enough to see they were open. bottom at about 1/2.

Oldie but a goodie and still cookin.

The water pan goes under the ribs, the drippings go into the water pan. Water pan is a half sized disposable chafing dish. The little bit that drips outside of the pan is most likely in the ash anyway. When you clean the grill, it wipes right out. Pics from the Super Bowl ribs I made.

IMG_8024.jpeg

IMG_8026.JPG
IMG_8030.jpeg

Oldie but a goodie and still cookin.

The water pan goes under the ribs, the drippings go into the water pan. Water pan is a half sized disposable chafing dish. The little bit that drips outside of the pan is most likely in the ash anyway. When you clean the grill, it wipes right out. Pics from the Super Bowl ribs I made.

View attachment 96275

View attachment 96278
View attachment 96276
So the snake method is to start with a hot coal placed on one end then it trails around eventually to the other end over time?

So the snake method is to start with a hot coal placed on one end then it trails around eventually to the other end over time?

Yea, start 7-8 coals in a chimney and dump on the end and away she goes. I put some hickory chunks on the top for some extra flavor.

I think I got about 4 hours of cook time out of that snake, somewhere in the 275 range I think. YRMV based on charcoal etc.

Interesting, so the ones on the left were closer to the bricks? The one on the right appears to have great shrinkage. Also why the foil? Did you wrap? 7 hrs is a long time for ribs, but seems like it worked out. I have some extra rib stands. Bought a set of 6 at one time thinking I'd go big. Will drop them off this week as I going down your way to see Tim.

right side was closer to the heat -
foil because i didn't want the drippings in the grill, but see Ed's solution above.
i have a couple of stands - just not as nice looking! Thanks,

I decided to take on the catering duties instead of spending all my hard earned dough at someone else work.

Took a shot on some pig shoulders
Quite tasty. Was able to get much done around the house with about 13.5 hour smoke.
Get up tomorrow to throw down some ribs.

Also grilled about 60 links and saute peppers and onions.

20190629_080404.jpg20190629_205834.jpg

No dedicated smoker here but I’m dipping my toes in... got a smoker box and hickory for a rack... can anyone tell me how long to keep on grill?

No dedicated smoker here but I’m dipping my toes in... got a smoker box and hickory for a rack... can anyone tell me how long to keep on grill?

couple of hours with the temp around 225, get the hickory in right away. then wrap in al foil, and a couple more hours higher temp is ok - use a probe thermometer to 175
keep the thermometer in the meaty part, not touching the bones. or let it continue at 225, no foil. 1 rack should only take 3-4 hours at slow speed.

well, i closed the vents a bit too much, and was only making 180F. The shoulders were at 150 this morning, and the ribs
have to go in. Wrapped one in foil and put it in the oven, dropped the other in the crock pot, with some water/vinegar/salt/bbq sauce.
don't have to worry about them for a couple hours - so all good.

decided not to make 9 racks....just 6. stl style (belly ribs), and back ribs

IMG_3735.JPG

Yeah I read wide open vents or things stay too moist but that's with electric smoker. I actually very happy I went this route, it's already enough work adding chips :)

couple of hours with the temp around 225, get the hickory in right away. then wrap in al foil, and a couple more hours higher temp is ok - use a probe thermometer to 175
keep the thermometer in the meaty part, not touching the bones. or let it continue at 225, no foil. 1 rack should only take 3-4 hours at slow speed.
Smoker box not giving off too much smoke, but the smell is there. Shall see how it works. I’m at 275 now. Should I Lower?

Smoker box not giving off too much smoke, but the smell is there. Shall see how it works. I’m at 275 now. Should I Lower?

lower! how much time has it been going?

lower! how much time has it been going?
For what ever reading, the Issue is that the wood is not smoking. Soaked chips for over 1 hour, they don’t seem to smoke in the box at all. I bought temp up to 550, added chips, got them to smoke, then dropped temp, added rack and the smoke stops.

Back
Top Bottom