Who likes to smoke their meat?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Yeah, I was just going to reply to his comment. Ive seen plenty of videos and reviews where the WSM will burn 8-10 hours+ on a single fueling. That website you posted has been my goto now for a few months, there is a ton of info there.

I thought of getting the Brinckmann, but after seeing how many people suggest making modifications to it to bring it up to "acceptable" performance, the Weber seems to be more "set up and go".

Thanks for the tip on wood, Ill check it out!

My wife thinks we should get the 22.5, I think if and when we go shopping if I can swing the extra $100 we'll go big.

If you get the bigger one you won't have to break some of your larger St.Louis slabs up to fit. Also budget $100 for a remote thermometer and thermocouple, so you don't have to constantly run out to check temps.

HumanVise

I had nothing but great results using a Weber Bullet for years. I need to get another one. I will probably go for the larger one this time, but I've done full briskets and whole turkeys in the small one.

A bear dragged my original one around but that didn't bother it. Dude ran over it with an excavator while putting an addition on my house a few years ago....didn't work well when flattened out.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
how does everyone do their shoulder ?

I've gone to a two stage method of smoking for 7 or so hours, then throwing in a slow cooker with the a sweet bbq sauce for a bunch of hours - then pull/serve/watch it go!

condiments:
a traditional slaw
sliced pickles
bbq sauces - show-me (stl style) and Asian
some hot sauces from tobasco to blaires u.death - not necessary, but some like more pain than the asian sauce.

Wobbegong

A bear dragged my original one around but that didn't bother it. Dude ran over it with an excavator while putting an addition on my house a few years ago....didn't work well when flattened out.

After our 40 inch snow storm this February, I ran my smoker over with the snow blower. I bent it up pretty badly before I realized I was pushing it under the snow. Im sure I can fix it up with the hammer...

Maybe I'll upgrade to the weber..... :hmmm:

SJMTBRick

I've gone to a two stage method of smoking for 7 or so hours, then throwing in a slow cooker with the a sweet bbq sauce for a bunch of hours - then pull/serve/watch it go!

condiments:
a traditional slaw
sliced pickles
bbq sauces - show-me (stl style) and Asian
some hot sauces from tobasco to blaires u.death - not necessary, but some like more pain than the asian sauce.

I inject with my dry rub mixed with apple cider/water then smoke at 225 with lump charcoal and apple wood chunks until temp reaches 190 and then wrap and rest. Pull and serve with vinegar based slaw on plain white rolls. If time is running out during smoke I have used the texas-crunch.

Damn, I'm getting hungry now :D

ericgautier

I've tried foiling and w/o foiling. I like w/o foiling the best. Gives a nicer bark but takes longer to cook. Usually rub the pork with molasses then my rub. Throw in the smoker at 225 and jut let it do its thing. Usually pull around 195* or when the bone slides out easily.

*then wrap in foil to let it rest

I've been playing with higher heat lately.. 250-275 range and have gotten good results as well.

Last edited:

ericgautier

anyone care to share their dry rub recipe?

lately, my go to is:

1/2 black pepper
1/2 salt
1/4 paprika
1/4 garlic powder
1/4 onion powder

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I've tried foiling and w/o foiling. I like w/o foiling the best. Gives a nicer bark but takes longer to cook. Usually rub the pork with molasses then my rub. Throw in the smoker at 225 and jut let it do its thing. Usually pull around 195* or when the bone slides out easily.

*then wrap in foil to let it rest

I've been playing with higher heat lately.. 250-275 range and have gotten good results as well.

Next time try dark amber maple syrup instead of molasses. Yuuuummmmm.

Patrick

Staff member
Rib-Rub-Yum

1/2 thyme
1/2 cumin
1/2 chili powder
1/4 ground red pepper (ie dried/ground jalapeno)
1-1/2 salt

---
haven't tried injecting the shoulders - have soaked overnight in apple juice.
apple wood or cheery wood

i may try the molasses or maple syrup. sounds like a way to get a crisp candy coating.
wonder if it inhibits smoke penetration

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didn't realize we had so many pro bbq'ers out here.

Maybe we should have a cook off. I'll be a judge.

Wobbegong

The Weber is really nice.......

IMG-20130428-01042_zps14057220.jpg

Wobbegong

Is that yours?

Yeah.... All this talk of smokers, and my damaged Brinkman made me do it!!

Correction on my earlier post.. I had the Brinkman Gourmet smoker, not the Smoke n' Grill.

The Weber is on another planet as far as quality. Really nicely done....

Went with the 18 inch. The 22 is insanely large. Way more than what I need 99.9 percent of the time.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Hurricane Irene put a dent in the top, but it smokes on...

2011-12-17%2011.40.02.jpg

walter

Fourth Party
Yeah.... All this talk of smokers, and my damaged Brinkman made me do it!!

Correction on my earlier post.. I had the Brinkman Gourmet smoker, not the Smoke n' Grill.

The Weber is on another planet as far as quality. Really nicely done....

Went with the 18 inch. The 22 is insanely large. Way more than what I need 99.9 percent of the time.

Awesome, lemme know how it works out. I'm pretty set on the 18 for us.

Patrick

Staff member
FWIW

the biggest drawback with the smokey mt is that racks of ribs are not round....

they need to be cut, and then put in a standing rack (or folded, or set up as crowns.)

on the flip side, shoulders, brisket, turkeys, are roundish.

not sure if they ever changed their design (this one is 10+ yr old,) the top dome does not fit the bottom, so it can't be used as a conventional char grill.

it also needs to be mod'd with side handles, and an upgraded thermometer. there are a few more mods people make. (bottom handles, mid-level thermometer, etc)

Top Bottom